Chewbacca is from Kashyyyk, but lives on Endor... That don't make sense.

D

DarthFerret

Which came first? The Alien Comics or the movies? Same goes for Predator. I have some old comics of them both, but not sure if they were movies first or not.

Also, I have not been in a comic store for a long time, are they still making the "What if" comics?

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I heard they're going to do an Avenger movie too, but for obvious reasons, it's probably a lot easier to film when they're just one principle character than many, so that's why the solo movies come out.

I thought the second Spiderman movie rushed things with Doc Ock, introducing him and then presumably killing him off. But the first was good.

Never saw any of the other superhero movies except X-Men 1.

I think the movie came first in the case of Aliens and the comics first for Predator, but really no idea. You can probably find it on Dark Horse Comics or something.

Still trying to see the whole movie on cable... whenever it comes on, I see bits and pieces of it, but gradually it's becoming the same bits and pieces :)

L

Limited

I thought the Alien and Predator movies were before the comics..

I've a couple of Marvel movies:
Spiderman 1: Didn't do it for me. Kinda mediocre
Spiderman 2: Horrible. I think a lot of people involved with the movie don't understand what a SECRET identity is.
Daredevil: The Kingpin was cool, but DD and Bullseye (Affleck and Farrell) were horrible.
X-Men I: Deviated from some important stuff (well, important to me anyway) but entertaining
X-Men II: Excellent movie. Really showing of CGI/Mutant skills.
X-Men III: Disappointing
The Punisher: Oddly enough quite entertaining. Straightforward action movie
Blade I: Excellent. I'm still not a fan of vampires being protected by Sunblock, but an okay movie overal.
Blade II: Storyline was wobbly, but mostly I hated the actual- people-to-cgi parts..
Blade III: Hilarious. You need to consider this a comedy; that way you can appreciate it.
Elektra: Pretty good actually. Decent action and nice CGI and a hint at a storyline. Too bad Jennifer Gardner can't act (in that movie anyway)
The Hulk: Awfull. The camera creativity (an obvious wink to comicbook style) was mightily annoying. Halfway through, I was on the verge of turning it of, but I didn't (I don't want people telling me 'the second half was awesome'). I still feel stupid I didn't
Fantastic Four: Enough meta-humor to keep me occupied.

Btw, what is a 'what if' comic?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Limited said:
Btw, what is a 'what if' comic?
I think it's comic that's outside the normal continuity for a series of comics and doesn't "count" or is "just for fun." I know I've seen some real examples, but I can't think of any at the moment, so I'll make up an example: a comic where Reed Richards becomes evil and Dr. Doom must stop him from destroying the world. Also, Dr. Doom has been turned into an eight-year-old girl.

N

Nightstalkers

X-Men 3: The Last Stand was a little disappointing for me... I enjoyed the original TV comic.

But Blade being supposedly in the same universe as the X-Men... Mutants... and even Captain Marvel just doesn't seem to fly.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Nightstalkers said:
X-Men 3: The Last Stand was a little disappointing for me... I enjoyed the original TV comic.

But Blade being supposedly in the same universe as the X-Men... Mutants... and even Captain Marvel just doesn't seem to fly.
He was. He was even in a few Spiderman comics.

L

Limited

What I don't get is why there has to be one Marvel Universe at all. Spiderman and X-men together meeting each other is also kinda silly.
I mean, they go through all that trouble to get Peter Parker bitten by a radioactive spider, but when he runs out of freak-accident-bad-guys all of sudden he is also part of the X-men world where people mutate at random (mostly developing the power to be unselfconsious in tights)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh? I don't understand... how's it a problem when the characters from one universe/comic book campany meet each other? I'd think it'd be odd if they didn't meet...

Is the problem with Blade is that he's a vampire, which seems out of sorts with the Marvel Universe, or that he's a "non-superhero", or both, or neither? I'm confused...

D

DarthFerret

Ok, a "What if" comic is something that did not really happen in the comic universe, but what if it did. One of my favorites was "What if Spiderman had the Green Lanterns Ring". Basically they just really messed around with a comic character and his powers. By everyones apparent lack of knowing this...I am going to assume that they do not make them anymore.

BTW, I do not know how much anyone followed Spiderman comics, but for those that do, don't forget that Peter Parker retired, and now Ben Riley is Spiderman, but still uses the name Peter Parker for anyone who knows his identity (Except Venom who actually figured it all out).

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Spiderman said:
Huh? I don't understand... how's it a problem when the characters from one universe/comic book campany meet each other? I'd think it'd be odd if they didn't meet...

Is the problem with Blade is that he's a vampire, which seems out of sorts with the Marvel Universe, or that he's a "non-superhero", or both, or neither? I'm confused...
Spiderman and X-Men each created their own universe. Spidermans universe is one very similar to ours, in which he is unique in being a Superhero. He had a freak accident (and unfortunately, so do some others) which makes him a superhero.
X-Men on the other hand, seem to live in a different dimension. Here, mutation has started to grant superpowers to any number of people and what makes the X-Men superheroes is how they use that power.
In the movies. these 'worlds' have been seperated neatly (no other mutants flying around in the Spiderman movies) but comic books have this need to create crossovers (for marketing reasons, I would assume).

To me, its the same kind of mismatch as dropping Blade in the mix. Vampires have a magical quality to them (allthough Blade sometimes wanders of into 'sciencetalk' about a 'vampires: the virus') and don't fit in either a real-world-with-science-accidents or a mankind-is-mutating-into-superbeings universe.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Say what? Spiderman and X-Men have always been in the "same" universe. I'm not sure when the concept of "introducing" heros in other comics started, but back when I was a wee lad in the 80's, you definitely saw them together (in the aforementioned Secret Wars and in Marvel Team-Ups).

The Avengers, FF, Spiderman, etc. have all occupied the same universe. Heck, Beast was an Avenger for quite some time (as was Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, both mutants). Spiderman and FF partnered together. Spidey's apparently a member of the New Avengers now. X-Men and Avengers and FF have partnered and fought each other at various time. There were no "separate universes".

In fact, right now I believe, there's some storyline about mutants having to register with the government and various superheros taking sides (like Capt. America disagreeing and going into hiding or whatever).

O

orgg

Mooseman said:
The first Blade was decent, but the others were horrible.
Did we see the same two movies? Blade 1 was average, but Blade 2 was actually quite watchable, I thought. Then again, Ron Pearlman makes Everything Better.

EDIT: There's a Blade 3?

Ummm... interesting. I ~might~ rent it at some point.

L

Limited

Blade 1 was average, but entertaining. Blade 2 was all about CGI.. still watchable, but I liked the first one better.

Did you see the Hellboy movie? Ron Perlman played Hellboy, and I didn't really felt that it fit. Maybe I have to see it again to be able to determine why..

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm still waiting for "them" to make a movie about me. I sent "them" a sample script and hoped that they'd cast Blade as my wookie.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Say what? Spiderman and X-Men have always been in the "same" universe. I'm not sure when the concept of "introducing" heros in other comics started, but back when I was a wee lad in the 80's, you definitely saw them together (in the aforementioned Secret Wars and in Marvel Team-Ups).
Marvel has always had it comics in the same universe. The first big crossover (same story in multiple titles) was the Thanos war in the early-mid 70's. It was mostly Captian Marvel's story, but almost every superhero at the time was brought into the story, Hulk, Avengers, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Spiderman, FF, Capt America...... It was very well done and spawned one of my all time favorite characters "Drax: The Destroyer".

Blade 2 may have had good CGI, but the story was crap and the acting was worse than the first one.
Hellboy was a good, simple movie..... entertaining, with a decent story and acting.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I thought.

Boy, Thanos sure does cause heros to come together though. He was pretty central in the 90's crossover "Infinity Guantlet" and "Infinity Wars".

O

orgg

I own the movie of Hellboy. Twice Over.

I found Pearlman to be a great fit for the character, as he has a presence and posture that just fit the character so well, at least to someone who hasn't read the comics.

Other examples of this charisma are City of Lost Children and The Last Supper.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
That's what I thought.

Boy, Thanos sure does cause heros to come together though. He was pretty central in the 90's crossover "Infinity Guantlet" and "Infinity Wars".
They were good, but they made Drax into a blithering idiot.

Did anyone read the Death of Captain Marvel? He died of cancer and they didn't let some super serum cure him at the end. It was a very sad story, but very realistic. Marvel has always been decent in dealing with real-life issues in their comics.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I read it; it happened in the '80s? I even remember the "rebirth" of the name Capt. Marvel, though not the exact circumstances. But she was an Avenger for a while...