Breeding.... is it ethical?

Is breeding ethical?

• of course. How else will we as a species survive?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, overpopulation is a problem I'd refuse to add to.

• Dumb people should be sterilized, because they're the ones having the huge litters anyway.

• But children are just so cuuuute!!!

• Total voters

Ferret

Staff member
I don't know if religion is a good excuse to overpopulate a country. Many countries that have horrible economies (take Mexico for instance) have serious overpopulation problems. And since The Church is so powerful in those countries they have to breed like rabits or risk 'the wrath of god'...

A couple should breed for the old fashionned reasons of love, the need to carry on a part of themselves into the future, and fun of having smaller versions of themselves running around...

-Ferret

"...and of course, tax deductions! :)"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I can't control the smilies. Ed does that; you'll have to PM him or raise it in Suggestions. I've seen some cool ones out there though...

G

Gizmo

The Earth is probably already over populated (as in more than can be sustained over the long term).

In addition the carrying capacity of the Earth is going to be drastically cut over the next century, by rising sea levels and spreading deserts.

However, population size is not something that has ever needed to be controlled artifically. Too many animals leads to too little food, which leads to fewer animals. It`s only going to level itself out eventually. A lot of people are going to die in the next century... breeding is unlikely to make that much difference,

In fact breed more because that has more bodies in the armies to fight off the ravening hordes that will come from the third world in search of usable land.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

And of course we deserve it more than they do, because we were born here.

...er.

I'm not interested in having children at this point. At this point, I'm 15. So my opinion might change.

But the main reason I don't think I want to have kids any time remotely soon is because (in addition to being a mediocre husband) I think I'd make a bad father - maybe not an abusive one, but one unable to help prepare people for life unless they're similar to me, and I don't want to force that on someone.

C

Chaos Turtle

I don't think it's a question of "deserving" it more.

If it ever comes to the point of "ravening hordes...in search of usable land," then whoever has the strength to hold the territory is the deserving party.

Those who can make the most of their resources, and protect those resources from encroachment, fully deserve them.

T

train

It's all out Armageddon baby!!!!

Bring it!, Bring what you got!!!!

(Train, in full support of the troops fighting for him, begins packing up rations of Coat to deliver to the soldiers defending our world...):D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The "problem" with "breeding more bodies" is that there will always be those who will want to share with those less fortunate or find non-violent solutions or not be willing to fight regardless. So there may not be as many bodies as you think there may be ;)

TICM: You never know. You obviously don't think about it quite as much when you're a teen (certainly I didn't), but a mere ten years later could change your mind due to more life experiences. I'm not saying to start thinking about it now, but don't worry about it. :)

Ferret

Staff member
Bah! I gave up on "reason" ages ago. I prefer to be unreasonable. Sure, it raises my blood pressure and causes my shrink to double my meds, but it's more fun!!! :)

-Ferret

"...selective breeding is fun!"

A

Astranbrulth

Hi all,

I've been following the discussion with interest.

Personally, I reckon that yes, the Earth is overpopulated. While resources are more or less adequate for the meanwhile, and possibly for quite a way into the future, this will only be at the cost of the rest of the species on the planet, save for some select few that will end up serving as food for us.

I think that's pretty sad.

Ideally, people should only be allowed to make one 'copy' of themselves - well, two in the case of couples. If this were the case, then I think you would find that the population problem would slowly 'auto correct' itself, what with people that can't or won't have children, etc.

If things continue the way they are going, I have no doubt that we will see more and more wars over territory and living space in our lifetimes.

Regards,
Astranbrulth

T

train

Astranbrulth - nice to meet you!!:) :D :cool:

Is astranbrulth an actual word in a language I may not know???(sorry to be nosey, but it just sounds cool...):cool:

You have very valid points, though I feel it may be nature who will eventually overcome the human species and return the world, and it's resources to animals...

They were here before us, and if nature takes its course - will be here after us... That's probably why a new disease or virus comes along about every 10 years...:eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Or an asteroid comes along...

What do people who can't or won't have children get? What if a child dies and a parent is too old to make another one and thus "missed" out on the chance to "replace" it?

Ferret

Staff member
Very good points. I noticed that you're from South Africa. This helps to provide a nice POV from somewhere else.

Here in the US (and Texas) we all think that since we have it so good that everyone else must have it good also...

-Ferret

"...nice change of perspective..."

A

Astranbrulth

Hi All,

Firstly, 'Astranbrulth' comes from quite a while back when I was really into Tolkein. Inspired, I set out to create a 'personal language' for a book like he did. The name comes from there. The book, alas, got to about 300 pages and then I ran out of steam. I read over it the other day and let's just say some things are best left unfinished. *sigh* I guess I just don't have Tolkein's talent.

Anyhow, train has a good point about the rapid development of diseases in today's society. Basically, we are living in a monoculture, and with the facility that we have in getting from place to place ( cars, aeroplanes etc.) means that germs get around faster than ever. I'm amazed that something like the 1918 flu pandemic hasn't broken out yet. In our country, for example, tuberculosis is making a big comeback, partly because of AIDS and partly because of the evolution of drug - resistant strains.

Finally, in reply to Spiderman, I reckon that if a child dies and the parent is too old to have another, well tough. It sounds pretty harsh, and possibly I might regret my words if it were my child that died, (if I had kids, that is!) but I don't see any other way for the population to decrease short of some titanic disaster.

Oh yes, I'm just wondering - Ferret - do you have any connection with The Ferret at StarCityGames, or is he an evil imposter?!

Astranbrulth.

Ferret

Staff member
Um, no. I've heard of that guy but never seen any of his works. I've never really frequented StarCity before...

-Ferret

"...the one and only :)"

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

All I will say about a one child per family policy is two things:

1. The situation in China (where a one child per family policy is in place and where some parents kill their female children early so they can be sure to have a boy) should not be duplicated.

2. What would happen if two people had a kid, then divorced, and then wanted to have kids with new spouses?

Good thinking though.
Qelcome to the CPA Astranbrulth!:cool:

Ferret

Staff member
I guess, we would have to have nothing like China here in the States. No one would allow this kind of infringement on our rights and civil liberties...

-Ferret

"...unless, there is some kind of major disasters..."

S

Svenmonkey

I think I'm going to take natural selection into my own hands and create a virus or bacteria that can sterilize.

*Waits for federal agents to take him away*

Ferret

Staff member
I want to create a virus that causes only people w/ double-digit IQ's to seek out the nearest rainforrest and allow themselves to become fertilizer...

-Ferret

"...maybe a subliminal message that appears while people watch 'Everyone Loves Raymond'..."

S

Svenmonkey

Sounds good to me. :)

And hey, if we incorporate our two plans, we could have...well...we could have sterile people turning themselves into fertilizer...