Black And White

C

Chaos Turtle

I think you mean, "Z."
I didn't say anything about online play regarding pirate copies.

Three people expressing an opinion that buying something is inherently better than just taking it is not a controversy. No one's passed judgement here, so stay cool.

T

terzarima

I can't find that little kid who wants fish on level two. When do you get that quest?

Z

Zadok001

That's level 4. My bad. :) God, level 5 is a MESS. I mean, a bloody MESS. I'm resorting to essentially random extreme Fireball launches just to get NEAR a village!

C

Chaos Turtle

Jeez, I thought my monkey had it rough on level 2...

Level 3 is just mean...

...wolves...

...I'll never get the shield up in time!
To the worship site you lazies! NOW!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zadok: Doesn't Chapter 5 have a major bug/crash in it? From what I've read on other boards it has (not the B&W one though).

B

Baskil

****slight land 2 spoiler****

My god B&W is bug ridden. Last night I'm playing, on land 2. I activate the quest where you have to find some boys that are swimming. So I send my creature over there, and he fetches each out and drops them on the ground. All of them run home, except one. One of them, no matter where I pick him up and put him, still thinks he's swimming. I put him near my temple, and it makes a splashing sound like he hit the water. So he's basically treading dirt. I bring him back home, and he treads the dirt there too. Getting pissed, I just toss him to the next land. Of course, that drops my alignment, and my hand starts changing color. *sigh*

THEN, I took control of the last village. MY creature, of course, goes through the vortex. Dumb me, thinking it was like land one, go to grab some villagers and supplies to throw through. Of course, when I return to the place, The Gold Story Scroll is gone and so is the Vortex. :(

****end slight land 2 spoiler****

Anyone else experience these problems?

C

Chaos Turtle

*spoiling a bit more*

I had that swimmer problem once, but it was on level one with the fishermen. With the kids, I just picked them up myself. When it happened on land one, I quick-loaded from the last autosave.

Hopefully your autosave is on, or you save frequently. (I saved the game starting at right before the second challenge on land one, since that's the first opportunity to be evil...and I do intend to play this game through the evil way...;))

As far as the Portal goes, you either have to go right then or continue your original plan of destroying Lethys' temple, when you'll get the opportunity you were hoping for.

BTW, for LAND 3 (yep, minor spoiling)

Once you get the village that prays for the Shield spells, I highly recommend getting them to the worship site right away. You'll have to either be superman or very very patient later on if you don't.

*done spoiling for now*

Okay, I'm convinced now that the click-trick for food and wood is "cheating" or whatever you might want to call it. Aside from it working anywhere where you can trick the cursor into thinking you want to move instead of cast, I have got to the point that I can get 30,000 to 50,000 per casting of Miracle Wood and Food spells. Water works in a similar way, though I haven't found any practical application for it.

Suggestion: Don't forget that duration spells (Shields and Forest, for example) have an "upkeep" cost. if you decide to run one of these for any length of time, you'll need more worshippers, or you'll need to be prepared to wait for power to build up for your other spells. Also be aware that trying to cast spells for which you do not yet have enough prayer power can cause your duration effects to be cancelled.

Also: Teach your creature to use the totem! Definitely do this!

Z

Zadok001

SPOILER! (And answer to Spidey's question, too...)

When you reach land 5, your creature is 'cursed.' He begins to shrink, lose his strength, and his alignment goes opposite of yours. You dispell the curse by destroying certain buildings.

Then it gets wierd. Once the curse is dispelled, your creature does NOT return to his normal size. This is what is known as 'the land 5 bug.' I have heard reports that make me think it's not a bug, though - Apparently your creature continues to grow from his new, smaller form, back to normal size at a normal rate. Given time, he comes back. I'm essentially playing level 5 to confirm that rumor - If my creature grows back, well, the bug is not a bug, merely a major annoyance. :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Just wondering...

While playing Land 2, my creature started freaking out (he is "angelic" in his mind) and kicking over buildings, while I had the Compassion leash on him... then I noticed that Lethys' had his own creature on an Aggression leash that he's attached to my creature.

Is this normal? I assume so, but I'm suprised it overcame my own Fuzzy leash's influence. Could I have attached my fuzzy leash to the wolf and made him behave nicely? Can I attach my leash of Learning to any creature and have it mimic that creature's behavior?

Interesting...

Also, where does the creature's power come from? When he uses Miracles, is it coming from MY prayer power? Or does he have his own private store from being "respected" and worshipped?

Fun fact of the day: That wolf stole my Beach Ball! He walked right up to my temple (it was decorating the worship site) and took it!

Yes I am serious! I saw it by Lethys' temple! Does his evil know no bounds? Is nothing sacred? I didn't even get it back becasue it got sucked into the portal! Now that basterd has my monkey AND my Beach Ball!

Swine!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zadok: I don't think that was the bug I was referring to. I'm thinking of a system type bug where files are or are not overwritten. I'll find out what it is and report back :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here is what I found on the other website I frequent (but it's not B&W's website)

Info on Land 5 Bug
Apparently, when you reach Land 5, your Creature crashes. Yes, I'm serious.

The Black & White website (www.bwgame.com) (which, by the way, in comparison with Cyberlore's site, totally SUCKS) has posted detailed instructions for "backing up" your Creature files before entering Land 5. Once you get in the land, your Creature (and everything it is, knows, has learned, you name it) crashes and is permanently lost.
It's known to the developers and they're working on it. But I guess you haven't encountered it yet.

S

sageridder

{spoiler}
The other way to get all the kids is to bring the mother to them.
apparently leashing creatures works either way.I had destroyed lethos's temple.My creature was blocked into my temple's general area because of buildings he could not get around.So lethos leashes his wolf with the aggression collar to mine,and lethos just sits there paying attention to my creature.I had never shown my creature fireball but low and behold my creature is trying to cast it,and of course my temple and buildings were the only targets.The wolf hung around as close as he could just repeatedly casting it,all to soon my guy learned it.Most of the time he put it out quickly,got to admit when I try it on the evil side this would seem handy.

A

Almindhra

Well my friend came over and gave the cd to my bf, but I'm the one whos been playing it, and it is really awesome...I wouldn't say better than HoMM, but maybe I just need to get a bit further...I chose the cow for my lil' dude, I thought most people wouldn't choose him, so I did...I really had no clue as to what I was doing because I don't have any instruction manual...But I got by, even though the moving is a bit funky, especially with the messed up mouse I was using...

A

Almindhra

I don't have the rules book...*wink wink*...And I have a few questions about the game...

1. The idol where it tells you your belief #, it shows your symbol above your creature, and then the other guys symbols floating up..>The further up it is the less influece they have there?

2. I tried building a town from scratch, and put people in there to live, but none will use the store, and they run back to their original place to use it...Now I can't find the people who live and get them out, I'm trying to convert people too but it seems a lost cause...Any help here?

3. A miracle dispenser that you built, how does it work??

Hmm, can't think of anything mroe right now, but i'm sure I'll find some more questions later...Thanks to all who can help...

C

Chaos Turtle

1 - Right. Whosever symbol is closest to the totem is the "controller" of the village. As long as you have belief, then you are okay, but when that number gets low, watch out. That means you're about to lose your village.

2 - Not sure what you mean. Are you in the 1st skirmish map by any chance? Fighting 1 other god? If so, then that lonely village center down the mountain does indeed need some villagers. It also needs houses. To make one of your villagers move there, you have to hold him/her next to the village center until the "move in' icon appears (house with an arrow). Then drop the villager and that's his new home.

If you're just trying to start a village completely from scratch, you need to start with a village center, which takes a few scaffolds (five?). No matter how many houses or other buildings you have, a village without a center is not a village.

3 - If you built it yourself, you cast miracles on it. It will turn into a miracle seed, which you can store for later use (and give your poor worshippers a break). I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, since I would have liked it a lot better if it actually started popping out miracles on its own. But for some reason (which I hope is a bug) you have to actually cast the miracles repeatedly for each seed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's a new developer patch out here

This is "unofficial", it is NOT supported by EA as they're doing their own patch testing. But from what I understand, the developers felt the community should have this now. So you can wait for the EA supported one or try your luck with this one. I have no idea what's being fixed; presumably there's some readme file or description at the link above.