Black And White

N

nodnarb24

I got it two days ago. I haven't been able to play it much since it keeps on LOCKING UP ON ME!!! I think it is either my slow cd-rom drive or I could have the graphics detail a smidgen too high. I just unistalled it after I got new video drivers and now I'm going to reinstall it and see if it will stop locking up.

C

Chaos Turtle

(too lazy to post a link)

There's supposed to be a patch that addresses the lock-ups, as well as some other problems.

Also, if you're holding out on buying the game because of the "accelerated 3D" requirement, hold no longer. That was apparently misstated. You only need a Direct3D-capable card running DirectX 7 or higher, which most cards made in the last few years should be capable of.

E

EricBess

Okay, I too broke down. I has some display issues on my desktop, but nothing that new drivers from the manufacturer's website didn't take care of. It works beautifully on the laptop.

Anyway, I haven't gotten really far, but there are a couple points where your whole world gets turned upside down. Now I have all my villagers running around saying they need to build buildings, but I have no idea how to get them to do that. I somehow made one of them a builder, but the other god never mentioned how to make blueprints, only that they were necessary. I've also been told that my creature is getting dehydrated, but the other thing to drink is ocean water. Is that good enough? Is there a forum somewhere for chat on this game? Thanks.

BTW, it is a pretty cool game.

S

sageridder

Put wood in the workshop,to make scaffolds the combination of scaffolds makes for different structures.Check out the sign at workshop.You will have to drop some villagers at the workshop to make the guys to make the scaffolds.I've had no problems having it drink any water.One thing you want to do right away,is to put the learning leash on creature and teach it how to cast heal and water.I learned that the hard way.I'm playing good and in the scrimmage mode the other gods creature was just tearing up my village and creature.All of a sudden the other god is throwing lightning,and his creature is burning my villages and creature,who at the time couldn't do anything to help the villagers or self.One thing that's useful as well,take a rock and put it in town next to your village center.After a while of villagers praying and dancing around it (Takes quite a while)They make it an artifact,which when placed in another village impresses the heck out of them giving mucho belief,you can even move it to other towns to gain there as well.Don't forget your creature retains whatever it learns in the gods playroom,and scrimmage mode.
checkout www.gamefaqs.com they have some good advice,and walkthroughs.

C

Cateran Emperor

This game is nothing short of amazing! I'm playing as evil as I can (but of course!), and there's nothing as fun as hurling villagers who die worshipping me into the sea. TO make things better, I tried doing it with my creature on the leash, and HE would throw the dead into the sea as well! That is, if they didn't dissolve first.

Does anyone know how to unlock the other 15 or so creatures? I know four of them can be downloaded, but where else can I get them?

H

Hetemti

I'm interested. What avatars (familiars...critters...whateveryouwanttocallthem) are availiable?

Z

Zadok001

Initially, you have access to an Ape, a Tiger, and a Cow. There are four other creatures (Mandril, Gorilla, Horse, and Lepoard) available for download from www.planetblackandwhite.com.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

There are several other creatures as well. In the first level, if you can return ALL the sheep to the herder in one of the 'quests' of sorts, you can get a sheep creature. In the second mission, place a poo from your creature, a burning rock (fireball it), and wolf in the circle of Mushrooms (it's in Kazaar's territory) to access the Zebra. You can re-access the Ape on level three by giving the witch a child when she gets dizzy. On the fourth island, there's a boy catching fish. Help him get two FULL schools of fish, and the Turtle will be available. On the same level, lead the blind woman back to the Aztec village for the Wolf. The final island can be buggy, I don't recommend going there until the game has been patched, but if you do... The Lion can be gotten by leading the wolf to the sheep, the Brown Bear shows up if you clean the forest of poop, and the Polar Bear is available when you help the emigrants a second time.

END SPOILER!!!!

That's 14 creatures confirmed. A bit of hacking (check some websites) and you can also get the Ogre, but he's not available normally. There's also some hidden but inaccessible models. And there's a rumored Rhino and Croc, but those are unconfirmed.

By the way, Cat, you shouldn't toss the dead out to sea. :) Try putting them on the alter after they become skeletons - They're worth no less than *5000* prayer points!

C

Cateran Emperor

Mmm, quite right Zadok, those corpses make some nice Lightning spells. But it isn't quite as funny as tossing them out to sea. Amusingly though, my creature now periodically tosses villagers onto my altar if he sees them not working. I'm not sure which of my actions taught him that, but it is rather convenient!

E

EricBess

Thanks for the info sagerider. I still don't know how to build buildings, but the website you listed says that you have to wait a while and someone will eventually show you.

One of my creatures has an odd habit. I'm not sure how he picked this one up because I don't think I did this while he was around, but as I'm wandering around completing quests, he starts picking up random people and turning them into breeders. I think he has a sick, twisted mind ;)

B

Baskil

He's probably mimicing what you're doing. If you make a lot of diciples, he'll try to do the same.

A

arhar

I have to get this game... If you say it's better than HOMM2 (imho one of the best games ever) Igottatryit :)

Z

Zadok001

Specifically, they'll make Breeders, 'cause that's how they think for some reason. Lots and lots of breeders... Bad Thing(tm).

C

Chaos Turtle

Zadok I hate you...

Wait a sec... there's a TURTLE!!11!LOL!!???

Zadok I love you!

Z

Zadok001

You've gotta find the kid first - It's confusing. :) I'm stuck on Level 4, just playing with my Mandril, trying to make his alignment go back positive. It's been negative since the end of Level 3, for SOME reason... The guy's favorite thing to do is water plants, for God's sake! And he's EVIL?

B

Baskil

Did you teach him to feed himself? Apparently that's an evil act. My ape, for instance, has done nothing evil (eaten only one person), and feeds himself by fishing. Yet he has a -.07 alignment :(

On the BW message boards (bwgame.com) there's a big debate over whether or not it is an evil act.

Z

Zadok001

He _was_ trained to eat cows, which I believe was the problem. I've been slapping him for that and feeding him myself. He's gonna be a reliant little guy shortly...

C

Chaos Turtle

"Get out of my territory!"

Must impress rival villagers...
Hmmm...fireball, fireball, shower, shower, fireball, shower...

That oughtta wow-'em!

What the f-...? Who threw that fireball?

Oh, no, the training leash is still on!

Bad monkey! Baaaad monkey!

"We need more wood!"

Monkey! Get your butt over here and make some wood!]

"Worshippers need to eat!"

Monkey! Get your butt up to the temple and make some food!
"Offspring..."

You are on your own...
"Your creature will eat things like that more often."

God, what the f*** is he eating, now!?
"Your creature needs to poop."

Not at the Worship Site! In the field! Damn you, in the field!
"Your creature will poop against that more often."

Gaaahd-d!&@$#^!(^%$! Moth*&@~!#!($-Fu~*&@!#^
Worshippers dying of starvation, monkey sh***ing everywhere, villagers "disillusioned," and why is my hand turning red!?

I AM IN HELL!

...and loving every frame of it. :)

B

Baskil

That made my morning, it really did. That just summed up my whole frustration with land 2. Of course, I was doing it a bit differently. I just send my creature over to the opposing villages, put on his fluffy leash, and tie him to their totem. 20 minutes of village micromanagement later, Fireworks are going off.