Assault of the Sno-Demons Part Two: Revenge of the Rain Sprites

D

DÛke

Speaking of college...

...it's sad, really. I used to love college, but not anymore. The teachers are all stupid. They are very nice people, but they are idiots. They do not know the first thing about teaching. My favorite one (no longer) comes into class, vomits his lesson to the students, and leaves. Teachers that do not like to argue and debate, who care not much about the student - simply and literally, they use the student so as to make their living...we call them teachers why? They are the lowlifes of society...I’ve known criminals who have more heart and spirit…who show more thoughtfulness when presented with few questions...

...they openly reject honesty when they are losing an argument. If you are tired of "agree to disagree," tired of "no time to argue," tired of just sitting down and swallowing the crap they call "education," then welcome - college is not much different. It's too bad that one has to be "educated" so as to earn a living...because believe me, I, for one, can do without such a mess, such vomiting, such filth and disgust that is "higher education..." I became stupider after high school, and I’m becoming more stupid in college...

...if somehow, you have a choice, I suggest you save your thousands of dollars. It is one robbing institute...and if you have no choice, do not have such a high expectancy. If you are actually there to learn and understand, you’ll be let down, much like I was…

...bastards...

S

Svenmonkey

I'll take millions of people trying to take every cent I have, please. Maybe a side of oinkhole.

R

Rando

Comming right up.

That will come to everything you own and hold dear...with your loved ones in debt when you're dead.

Would you like a shake with that? Or maybe nervous breakdown?

D

DÛke

Rando, you might have had your own reasons of disliking your college experience...

...but to be sincere, I went there as a student. Every single professor praised me and acknowledged my talents, work ethics, and intelligence...yet, each and everyone one of them demands of me something that I cannot offer: idiocy. They want me to abide by the rules that they inflict upon the lower students, the majority, the ones who are there are to "get that job" and "earn the money." With all the knowledge that they claim I have, for example, they do not let me write without blemishing my papers with tons of research resources and actual "facts." Facts! Facts, they say, and I say...look at the world! What the heck is a "fact" anymore? With all the praise they give me, they still subject me to their painful residue that they call "research" and "inquiry." They acknowledge that I am "different," but they still choose to trail me with their flawed ways of "teaching," or should I say, brainwashing and unfulfilling filth-filling. I am supposed to dismiss my mind completely when I’m in school because it does not coincide with whatever garbage being taught at the time…and tell me, just to entertain me, what if, just if the student was over and beyond all of this “education,” way more wise than they can teach, more verbal and thinking then they can ever perceive…just what if that was the case with a student? Exactly – the student would be subjected to the same ugly pleasures and inquiries and opinions of the lower class, the happy little "majority." And is that right to do, for a society that dares calls itself "liberated" and "enlightened?"

All this is called "higher education," and what a hyperbolic euphemism that sounds to me!

...it is deteriorating…

...because if school is not the outlet for inquiring minds, tell me what is...

...what a sad, lonely world that does not know how to spend its time...

...one would think that we have come a long way. The error is here: "would think." Yeah. One would think many things...

<shakes head in hopelessness...>

T

train

because if school is not the outlet for inquiring minds, tell me what is
Since not all things are learned, or can be learned in school, the outlet for inquiring minds should simply be life...

It is all an experience nontheless...:rolleyes:

Z

Zhaneel

Ain't this wonderful to hear, as I'm going to college in T minus 6 months...

A

Apollo

Just what I was thinking, Zhaneel...

DUke, where do you go to college?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought college was a great experience. I'm thinking DUke must be talking about those type of classes where there's always room for debate, like philosophy. I didn't take too many of those; I took more of the "fact" classes, like math and computer science.

And college isn't all about schoolwork, it's also about "the social scene" (not necessarily partying) and how you really deal with being "on your own" for an extended period of time.

D

DÛke

Zhan, trust me darling, you will be let down if you are looking at college at your final escape from the filth tainted high-school "experience" which teaches nothing but popularity, good-looks, and every garbage in between. I have all those...but I thought that college would be the time to "move on" to the greater thoughts of life, "enough of popularity and good-looks," I said to myself, "enough of running around like a little boy who plays video-games, watches movies, but does nothing important to life," "enough," I said to myself, and what a wrong decision it was...
Apollo:

DUke, where do you go to college?
I have tried both, St. Louis University, and currently, I am in University of Missouri-St. Louis - they are both critically acclaimed schools. "Good schools." "Top notch."
train:

Since not all things are learned, or can be learned in school, the outlet for inquiring minds should simply be life...
That is a great lie told by exhausted wise men and women. What, you think the general social environment that occupies any given culture is a "good" experience? These people, in fact, are the first to tie the person with their values and traditions. They are the first to say "no" to anything that resembles newness, and therefore, they are the first to reject a thought that does not parallel with cultural values, traditions, and whatever pass-me-down rotten ol'habit they have inflicted upon themselves and their children. This is the life that you are talking about, and they are the big blemish. School, however, should be the place where new thoughts, new creations, new people, where a new age begins leaving all the old, ugly values behind...where a striving for a more sincere outlook, a less-violent life-style that the culture-lovers seem to embrace so innocently. But no. School, it seems, is the place where culture is motivated, encouraged, and taught, over and over again, to young minds...almost like a civil brainwashing, a killing of the identity in favor of the trace and a retrace of whatever old habits the given culture embodies. This is school.
Spiderman:

I'm thinking DUke must be talking about those type of classes where there's always room for debate...
You are correct. Those make up most of my classes. And what have I observed? A rehashing, retracing, re-spitting of older philosophies, ethics, cultures; an appraisal and embracing of people long gone; a kneeling down before values so old and rusty that they cannot, at all, make sense in this time -- yet all this is taught and called "education" for the inquiring minds. Just how do they expect anything innovative, any new possibilities and answers, if they brainwash as such? I have not a clue...

...with all honesty, I used to be able to write like a mad-dog, without a single pause, with all my passion inserted to each and every word...but now, after being tainted and ruined by "education," I find myself pausing, erasing, cleaning - destroying the essence of "me" so as to make it more fitting to the essence whoever decides to read what I say. But is it any longer what I say when all the words are rearranged, regrouped, altered, removed with new ones inserted? No...that is not I any longer, but a reflection of culture and environment that I have over and over again openly dismissed as nothing more than flawed and filthy...

It is a strain going to school, and I say this not as some teenagers do...I say this as a person who went there with the right mindset and told that it was wrong because...because...because "it just is."

And I do not condemn the American institutes as much as I would have condemned the Iraqi ones, or any Arabian one, for that. Not at all. My relatives have told me stories of how they were "educated," but I look at them: they were educated to be self-less, I-less, and were inflicted with the disease of their culture...the filthy, ugly, overly disgusting "Arabian" culture, which I will condemn for as long as I live...and that they bring to me and tell me how good it all is. They seem to think my problem is with Americans, like their little ugly problem, whereas my problem is with the education system as a whole...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
School, however, should be the place where new thoughts, new creations, new people, where a new age begins leaving all the old, ugly values behind...where a striving for a more sincere outlook, a less-violent life-style that the culture-lovers seem to embrace so innocently
I sort of agree, but these are the type of things that you must also search out yourself instead of expecting to "learn" it from teachers. College merely "provides" the environment to do so.

I think part of the teacher's function is to teach "old stuff" or what has gone before, so you might have a basis of what has been talked about. If you disagree with the material, then that's your cue to go off searching on your own and your teacher should encourage that. If you agree with the material, well, presumably you'll have an easy time of it.

E

EricBess

I studied hard science, also, so I never really had to deal with what Duke is saying, but I certainly experienced it. I took one humanities cycle before discovering that I had gotten into the program before it was required.

Boy was that a waste. The teacher at one point critisized a student for giving an answer about why Dali painted "Persistance of Memory". The teacher actually said, "Well, perhaps Dali isn't the best person to tell us why he painted this." Okay...moving on... I really didn't like that class, so I can see where you are coming from, Duke. Good grades on paper's weren't about creating thinking, but about trying to figure out what the teacher thinks about things.

D

DÛke

Spiderman:

I sort of agree, but these are the type of things that you must also search out yourself instead of expecting to "learn" it from teachers. College merely "provides" the environment to do so.
But you see, college and schools, they do not even provide the environment to do so! And what have I expected, you think? Just an environment friendly to those of us who do not think and perceive things as the majority do. You know, I cannot stand in front of a philosophy class and tell them that culture is bad: people would laugh, my dear professor himself, would laugh (he cannot control the laughter when I talk to him individually)...and all is justified, but why would I speak before a crowd that does not bother to at least listen or consider? Believe it or not...they do not listen if something does not parallel to "what the book says," or "what the professor says," because they are all-too-busy living, still, the deluded "high school" life that they once lived, or, for the others, they have full-time jobs already, so completely taken up by life, more so than even some adults, that they have not the time to think and realize and consider, not even tolerate anything or anyone who would put-down the values that they had held on to. They are busy people - would you think they have the time to consider at all? See, Spiderman, the environment is not suiting either...

Eric - you know exactly what I'm talking about. Surprisingly, however, I have not experienced a professor who did that. :) I would not be surprised if I observe such a thing going on though. However, I am let down almost everyday with less abusive strikes...

...I just came back from an hour-talk with my ethics professor, and, to my shock, gave me permission to actually "be myself" in the midterm paper. I had papers, before, rejected by teachers simply because of the "colorful" and "unconventional" style, I even had one tell me that I was inappropriate, yet, they all liked the papers, admitted to having fun reading them, and also admitted that the research was great...but they still raped the overall grade due to the style. This ethics professor, however, has seen how I write, and he actually encouraged me to use that style since he dislike the boring, old-fashioned, research-full but spirit-less words...

...at least, I am glad for the moment, for 1 of my 5 classes to let me be myself...I still have 2 years ahead of me, and I cannot yet fathom the idiocy I will encounter...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But you see, college and schools, they do not even provide the environment to do so
That's a pretty sweeping generalization if I assume you've only been to two colleges. Who knows how all of the others are? Maybe it's just your two...

And honestly, if you talk like you write, I can see why the majority would not care to listen or consider. You pretty much turn them off! Your style of writing is verbose and sarcastic-sounding - no one wants to decipher all of it.

Of course, you can say that's your writing/speaking style and I'm proving your point about how the majority is mindless (I think that's what you're saying somewhere), that they're not taking the time to think your words through. But that seems to be a self-encircling argument: My words are intentionally cryptic because I don't want to be "like everyone else", yet I blame others for not understanding them. Or I'm different and people have to accept that and cater to me - if they don't, that proves the point of why they're the "same" and I'm different (this is hard to explain in words).

D

DÛke

Yes, Spiderman, but now we are talking about the lazy majority. I'm talking about, if you noticed, the very teachers who do acknowledge, who do "decipher" and read and reread my papers and actually “get it.” Although it is you who claim that there is a "cryptic" element in there, and that is the first time I had ever heard that, believe it or not. I’ve heard “unconventionality,” and “inappropriateness,” but cryptic?

...I do not care for the majority who simply want to be commanded and bombarded by words, who get "turned off" when they are "offended" or, more specifically and truthfully, when they are simply confused. I'm talking about the few, the professors, who read, understand, enjoy, yet reject because of secret law against fascinating papers.

Yes, my writing “style” is sarcastic, offending even – I will not try to lie and say “no it is not.” But cryptic, that is not me. “Inappropriate,” that depends on what “offends” the person, and I am not willing to shape and rehash my thoughts so as to not offend every little specimen that is easily offended at even the thought of me whispering few things that are beyond tradition and convention. As for being “unconventional,” I believe it is they who are being “cryptic” – what, since when do we tell artists what is right about drawing and painting (they do that now, by the way)? And writing is an art form, yet, they dare try to engulf and collect it all in one little prison, shackled by “convention,” “appropriateness,” anti-spirited (anti-humor, anti-life, basically)…frankly, I do not write for people who like dry-writing, and the teachers I’ve encountered acknowledge that, but they do not at all respect it…

As for "generalizing" - I might be. But we should also blame the schools themselves for "generalizing" the students, treating them all equal, although, everyone knows that no one is equal...

T

train

School, however, should be
I'm not arguing that... all I said was
It isn't possible for all the knowledge in existence to be learned in school, because not all knowledge is available in school... It's a man-made institution... and as such shall never be complete and enriched of all things...

Oh and spidey...
You pretty much turn them off!

...since you normally don't use exclamation points in statements as such... I think you might want to look into who was signed in under your username and password...and posting as if they were you...( :p -just kidding)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DUke: That's not how I'm reading your rant and comments. I'm reading them as complaining against the entire system, not the "few". If that's what you meant all along, then you are very unclear.

I only said "cryptic" because to someone who gets bombarded by lots of words in a conversation, that's pretty much what it is.

But we should also blame the schools themselves for "generalizing" the students, treating them all equal, although, everyone knows that no one is equal...
That's just a fact when you don't have a 1 to 1 teacher/student ratio. You don't want to be treated equal, you have to find yourself a tutor or someplace that has that kind of ratio.

train: You weren't here for the post 9/11 discussion. Only in these kind of things do I use excalmation points to emphasize something :)

E

EricBess

I agree that some generalization needs to take place in teaching, but realistically, while there is not a 1-1 ratio in college, there is a more person-to-person relationship that doesn't exist in high school. Teachers in high school typically teach 5-6 hour days. College professors typically teach 2-3 hour days and have time for the students the rest of the day. As such, those students who want to have a more personable relationship with the teacher get to be known well. I suspect most of Duke's teachers know who he is (by sight - not necessarily the person behind him, if you know what I mean).

I do want to be careful not to generalize, though. It takes all kinds and it's more about the teacher than the institution. For example, I've stated a bad experience I had in a humanities class. I should also comment about a good experience I had. I had a technical writing class where we were required to do a research paper. I did mine on the link between science fiction and new technology. Basically, I showed two things. First, that science fiction isn't always as far out there as you might think and second, how technological advances often mirror earlier works of science fiction.

Not only was this approved, but I was allowed to use Star Trek episodes and various works of Science Fiction as references within my paper. Granted, it was relivant to the subject, but a lot of teachers would have just rejected works of fiction regardless of whether or not there was a reason for including them in the subject matter.

T

train

You weren't here for the post 9/11 discussion
Is that a specific thread spidey - or a bunch of different ones..

I'll try to read up on them...

*anxiously awaits seeing spidey's use of exclamation points...*;) :p :p

D

DÛke

O, I understand you now Spiderman. However, the way in which you use the term "cryptic" is misleading. :) I thought cryptic means "mysterious" or "enigmatic." To simply be over-flowing with adjectives and words, that is not being "cryptic," but being consistent, bombarding, even hyperbolic, if you wish to call it, but not mysterious. And, yes, I meant the few "professors," who are, basically, the leaders of the education institue, but I do refer to all teachers, not just my teachers. I do not refer to the majority of people in society, whom are at least mentally exhausted and rather not "discuss" or "debate." But, I guess, I demand of all teachers that they have the ability to debate, if nothing else...but even that is lacking.
Eric:

...but realistically, while there is not a 1-1 ratio in college, there is a more person-to-person relationship that doesn't exist in high school. Teachers in high school typically teach 5-6 hour days. College professors typically teach 2-3 hour days and have time for the students the rest of the day. As such, those students who want to have a more personable relationship with the teacher get to be known well. I suspect most of Duke's teachers know who he is (by sight - not necessarily the person behind him, if you know what I mean).
I agree. Teachers should be able to be more open and willing to understand individual circumstances due to the fact they have plenty of "office hours." Yes, they all know who "I am," even professors I have not had, but no, they do not know me from my "looks," they know me because of the things I have wrote, the things I have discussed (which seems that teachers share such discussions with each other), and the questions I have confronted them with.