Anyone up for Explorers of Ixalan?

Melkor

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

I'll explore the bottom most of the two ocean tiles in the bottom right corner of the picture and I'll put my scout on the revealed 3 spot.

Melkor: 13
Command Zone: Cannons to Port (The next time you deal combat damage to the player on your left, draw a card.)
Walls of Adanto (Site: Creatures can't attack you. An opponent may pay 1 to ignore this effect until end of turn.)
High and Dry, Pirate's Market (Site: At the beginning of your end step, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.)
Deeproot Tree (Site: At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.)
Hand: 3
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(U) (U) (U) Swamp x3
(U) (U) (U) Plains x3
(T) Prismatic Lens (T: Add C to my mana pool.; 1, T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)

(U) Duskbourne Skymarcher (1/1, Flying, W, T: Target attacking Vampire gains +1/+1 until end of turn)
(U) Vampire Interloper (2/1, Flying, ~ can't block)
(U) Paladin of the Bloodstained (3/2, when ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Vampire creature token with lifelink)
(U) Vampire (3/3, Lifelink) ~2 +1/+1 counter~
(U) Vampire Noble (3/2)

Graveyard:
Exile:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mooseman: 16
Command Zone: Cannons to Port (The next time you deal combat damage to the player on your left, draw a card.)
Hand: 2
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(UU) Island
(UUU) Swamp
(T) Crumbling Necropolis ( ETB tapped. T: Add U, B, or R to your mana pool.)
(U) Prismatic Lens ( T: Add 1 to your mana pool. 1, T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)

(U) Dire Fleet Hoarder (Human Pirate, 2/1, When Dire Fleet Hoarder dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "{T}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.")
(U) Storm Fleet Aerialist (Human Pirate, 2/3, Flying. Raid — Storm Fleet Aerialist enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you attacked with a creature this turn.) ~+1/+1 cnt~
(S) Rigging Runner (Goblin Pirate, 2/2, First strike Raid — Rigging Runner enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you attacked with a creature this turn.) ~+1/+1 cnt~
Graveyard: Vow of Lightning, Coat of Venom
Exile:

Oversoul: 11
Command Zone:
Hand: 4
Battlefield:

(U,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Forest x2

(U) Treasure token (they're like Lotus Petals, but in token form)

(U) Air Elemental (5/5; Flying.) *1 +1/+1 counter*
(S) Merfolk Sovereign (2/2; My other merfolk get +1/+1. T: Target merfolk can't be blocked this turn.)
(S) Saproling (1/1)

Graveyard: Forest, Forest, Unsummon, River Sneak
Exile:

Spiderman: 6
Command Zone: Plunder the Plunderers (The next time combat damage is dealt to you, create two treasure tokens.)
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(U) Plains
(U) Mt
(T) Jungle Shrine (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add R, G or W to my mana pool)

(U) Prismatic Lens (T: Add C to my mana pool.; 1, T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Prismatic Lens (T: Add C to my mana pool,; 1, T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)

(U) Raptor Companion (5/3 from ctr) *2 +1/+1 ctr*
(U) Raptor Hatchling (1/1; Enrage-Whenever ~ is dealt dmg, create a 3/3 green Dinosaur creature token with trample)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Melkor

Since you asked so nicely, I'll have Spiderman gain the life

I cast Shielded by Faith on the Vampire token. I attack Spiderman with the Interloper and Mooseman with the Vampire token, responses?

Melkor: 17
Walls of Adanto (Site: Creatures can't attack you. An opponent may pay 1 to ignore this effect until end of turn.)
High and Dry, Pirate's Market (Site: At the beginning of your end step, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.)
Deeproot Tree (Site: At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.)
Battlefield:

(T) (U) (U) Swamp x3
(T) (T) (U) Plains x3
(T) Prismatic Lens (T: Add C to my mana pool.; 1, T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)

Shielded by Faith (Enchanted Creature has Indestructible. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may attach ~ to that creature)

(U) Duskbourne Skymarcher (1/1, Flying, W, T: Target attacking Vampire gains +1/+1 until end of turn)
(T) Vampire Interloper (2/1, Flying, ~ can't block)
(U) Paladin of the Bloodstained (3/2, when ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Vampire creature token with lifelink)
(T) Vampire (3/3, Lifelink) ~2 +1/+1 counter~ Shielded
(U) Vampire Noble (3/2)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman: 16
Battlefield:

(UU) Island
(UUU) Swamp
(U) Prismatic Lens ( T: Add 1 to your mana pool. 1, T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.)

(U) Dire Fleet Hoarder (Human Pirate, 2/1, When Dire Fleet Hoarder dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "{T}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.")
(U) Storm Fleet Aerialist (Human Pirate, 2/3, Flying. Raid — Storm Fleet Aerialist enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you attacked with a creature this turn.) ~+1/+1 cnt~
(S) Rigging Runner (Goblin Pirate, 2/2, First strike Raid — Rigging Runner enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you attacked with a creature this turn.) ~+1/+1 cnt~
Exile:

Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Forest x2

(S) Merfolk Sovereign (2/2; My other merfolk get +1/+1. T: Target merfolk can't be blocked this turn.)
(S) Saproling (1/1)

Exile:

Command Zone: Plunder the Plunderers (The next time combat damage is dealt to you, create two treasure tokens.)
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

(U) Prismatic Lens (T: Add C to my mana pool.; 1, T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Prismatic Lens (T: Add C to my mana pool,; 1, T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)

(U) Raptor Hatchling (1/1; Enrage-Whenever ~ is dealt dmg, create a 3/3 green Dinosaur creature token with trample)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Vampires aren't your friend, Sun Empire. They're bad people who want to drink your blood. We should unite to stop them from getting the Immortal Sun.

Melkor

I draw a card from the Cannons to Port, and gain 3 life, Spidey nets no life but gets two treasure tokens and Mooseman takes 3. Done, during end step I discard a Swamp to draw a card and I put a +1/+1 counter on Vampire Noble.

Melkor: 20
Command Zone:
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T) (U) (U) Swamp x3
(T) (T) (U) Plains x3

Shielded by Faith (Enchanted Creature has Indestructible. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may attach ~ to that creature)

(U) Vampire Noble (4/3) ~1 +1/+1 counter~

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman: 13
Battlefield:

(UU) Island
(UUU) Swamp

Exile:

Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Forest x2

(S) Saproling (1/1)

Exile:

Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UUD
Adaptive Automaton Choosing Pirates
Done

Melkor: 20
Command Zone:
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T) (U) (U) Swamp x3
(T) (T) (U) Plains x3

(U) Vampire Noble (4/3) ~1 +1/+1 counter~

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman: 13
Battlefield:

(UT) Island
(UUT) Swamp

(U) Dire Fleet Hoarder (Human Pirate, 3/2 When Dire Fleet Hoarder dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "{T}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.")
(U) Storm Fleet Aerialist (Human Pirate, 3/4, Flying. Raid — Storm Fleet Aerialist enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you attacked with a creature this turn.) ~+1/+1 cnt~
(S) Rigging Runner (Goblin Pirate, 3/3, First strike Raid — Rigging Runner enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if you attacked with a creature this turn.) ~+1/+1 cnt~
(S) Adaptive Automaton (Construct, 2/2, As ~ ETB, choose a creature type. ~ is the chosen type in addition to its other types. Other creatures you control of the chosen type get +1/+1.)
Exile:

Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Forest x2

(S) Saproling (1/1)

Exile:

Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(U) Plains
(U) Mt

Graveyard:
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD...

Well, here goes nothing. Tap out to cast Aether Gale. Targets are Melkor's five creatures and Mooseman's Aerialist. Responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Then I'll attack Melkor with my whole team...

...is what I started to post. But it's kinda tough to pay for Walls of Adanto when I'm tapped out. :oops:

Man, that worked out a lot better in my head...

Judge question: if another player, hypothetically, were to pay the mana for Walls of Adanto during my main phase, would that enable me to attack Melkor? Or does it only work for the opponent who actually pays the mana? My first reading of it made me think it went one way, then I rethought it and suspected it was the other way, and now I'm thinking about it more and interpreting it the one way again. I am confused on this one...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
After much googling to no avail regarding a specific answer, I think any opponent can pay to ignore the effect because on every other specific card that has the phrase "Creature's can't attack you", it then follows with "that creature's controller", giving the specific restriction. Since here it says "any opponent", I guess it's trying to encourage player interactions.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If that's the case, how do Melkor's other opponents feel about paying to deactivate Walls of Adanto on my turn?

Melkor

I think that grammatically it reads that the opponent that pays may ignore the effect, not that the effect is negated entirely if it is paid by any opponent. Obviously it would have been better to resolve this ambiguity before it came up in this fashion. I will of course accept the majority decision.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think that grammatically it reads that the opponent that pays may ignore the effect, not that the effect is negated entirely if it is paid by any opponent. Obviously it would have been better to resolve this ambiguity before it came up in this fashion.
Yeah, I didn't even think about it, but the wording is a bit different from the wording that you be used on a Magic card, which is unfortunate. I'd completely forgotten about that tile. Typed up a post saying that I was attacking you and then noticed it when I was updating the board state. I find the wording on the tile frustrating. Any card with similar text is more specific, like "Any player may pay 2 for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn" or "That creature’s controller may sacrifice a permanent for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn." So really, I don't know. The whole wording seems awkward. Like, creature can't attack you, but an opponent can pay to ignore this. My interpretation from the words alone would be that opponents are a type of creature, that creatures can't attack you, but that the subset of creatures known as opponents are able to pay to ignore the effect and then they are allowed to attack you. Obviously that can't be right!