Anyone up for Explorers of Ixalan?

Discussion in 'Games Run By CPA Members' started by Oversoul, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Rokapoke continues to shamefully stall my inevitable triumph in Archenemy, but now there's a new product out that I was wondering if anyone wanted to try.

It looks like Explorers is able to work with 2 to 4 players. Basically, there are four precons, one for each of the factions in Ixalan...
    • The Legion of Dusk (B/W vampires)
    • The Brazen Coalition (R/B/U pirates)
    • The River Heralds (U/G merfolk)
    • The Sun Empire (G/R/W dinosaurs)
    ...and everyone plays a normal multiplayer game, except there's also a "board game" portion. It's a map of hexagonal tiles that can be flipped face-up when they are "discovered" and affect the gameplay.

I actually have no idea how to handle the board portion of this, as everyone has to be using the same board. Only way I can think of to make it work would be set up the board myself and "run" that part of the game while other people pilot the decks against each other (if I were not playing in the game but merely proctoring the tile portion, I would take a picture with my phone of the entire map flipped face-up so that I could reveal tiles when players discovered them even at times when I wasn't sitting at my computer at home, so I would not have any excuses—unlike Warhammer Quest). But I'm up for that. I just want to see how this thing plays. Or if anyone has a better idea for how to run it, let me know.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You know I'm up for it. The phone picture thing sounds fine to me, although it's too bad that you can't do something like when you do the maps in Warhammer. Maybe there's some generic hexagon tile/mapset somewhere on the Net that can be adapted? But really, the phone picture is fine :)
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

That would be cool, but it'd have to be something that a bumpkin like myself could use. I'll see if I can find anything...
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yeah, I know. It's probably involve Paint or Photoshop to get the text on the tiles and all that, so it's probably more trouble that it's worth.
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Sure thing......
  6. Melkor Active Member

I like how repeatedly uploading pictures from your mobile phone is the less technologically involved option. But I'll play as well.
    Oversoul likes this.
  7. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Times have changed!
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

We have four players! And since I am posting now, I am claiming the dinosaur deck! :D
    Psarketos likes this.
  9. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Excellent. I'll set up a board this evening.
  10. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I want the pirates... being from Pittsburgh, it just makes sense. If there was a zombie deck, I'd have to take that.
  11. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Pittsburgh? Hm, shouldn't this be your card, then?
    [IMG]

Dinosaurs and Pirates are accounted for. What'll it be, Melkor? You want vampires or merfolk?
    Mooseman likes this.
  12. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Looks a little like Phil Kessel
    Oversoul likes this.
  13. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Oops. Thought I'd already asked, but I don't see it. Melkor, do you want the merfolk or the vampires?
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You asked, it's at the end of your post #11 :)
  15. Melkor Active Member

16. Oversoul The Tentacled One

In that case I shall guide the River Heralds to glorious victory! I have randomly determined a turn order of...

...Melkor, Mooseman, Oversoul, Spiderman.