Animals?

D

Duel

The scariest thing I saw today wasn't in fact, coming into school to see the world trade center collapse on the screen, it was a comment, made right after. "I hope we bomb the hell outa whoever did this."
I'm scared. I'm more afraid than I've ever been in my life. People want to kill the people who did this. They want to bomb afganistan, figuring it harbor Ossamad Ben Ladin, who is "obviously" behind it. Without proof.
I'm scared that people get this kind of bloodlust, this yearning for revenge. I'm scared when Ransac cheers at the thought of "catching and nailing that bastard" or that Griffith comments on "The animals that did this"
Animals. Those were people, too. People, like you, YES. LIKE YOU. They're human, they're not monsters. Their people. Remember that, please, whatever you do.....

R

Rando

Yes, they are people.

And I hope the people responsable for this die.

D

Duel

How can you say that? You want them to die? That.....

I'm sorry. I don't have any words. I hope for your sake you don't mean that.

R

Rando

Why shouldn't they be punished for the horror that they have caused?

Am I supposed to feel somekind of misguided mearcy for those that have none?

Piss on that notion.

Do you expect forgiveness for this?

From anyone?

E

EricBess

Duel,

I typically consider myself to be reasonable.

I think that the people behind this need to be seriously punished. The bottom line is that anyone who would orchestrate something of this magnitute is not going to "reform". There are obviously misdirected religious level convictions behind this. As such, the only way to control the situation is to remove it. Care needs to be taken not to Martyr the individual for the "cause", but I think that those involved the most directly need to be put to death. Its not so much that I want them to die as I realize that it is a necessity for everyone else to feel (and be) safer.

However, I agree with you completely on your sentiments about not rushing into this. I have been watching CNN this morning and there are a number of individuals who are blanketly ready, by all appearance, to bomb Israel. Personally, from what I have seen, I suspect that Ben Ladin probably is behind the attack. However, that's not good enough. If we fly off the handle and bomb another country in hopes of killing one man that might have been behind this, we are no better than they are.

They have done this out of some sort of twisted idea of religion. One of the worst things we can do is retaliate blindly out of some twisted idea of patriatism. I suspect that once the debris settles down, there will be some evidence about what is going on.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Let me say something in my self defense towards your earlier comment about me.

The reason I was pleased with that statement was that it proved to me that the government has confidence in the fact that they will handle this situation appropriately. Another plus on that statement was the unity that was felt in the room by my schoolmates. The statement lifted our statements from an otherwise unhappy day.

Now, Duel, I really don't believe in "catching and nailing that bastards" in such a way that our country will have to retaliate by attacking whomever did this. But, if we don't act in a way that will get a message a across, something worse could happen. Whoever did this has to have some pretty big balls to up and attempt to start what could possibly turn out to be World War III.

Be rational. Killing people is wrong. I am totally against it. But, unfortunately, we might have to because the person(s) behind this aren't against it.

Ransac
Mark Wanich
9/11/2001

G

Griffith_se

...,thousands of your fellow countrymen killed by terrorists, and you think I'm the scary one?

The ANIMALS who did this are not human.
They are not like you and me.

And I'm not going to argue about this, it's pointless, I won't change my mind.

You know I don't get involved in these wishy-washy philosophical debates "Is there really a such thing as evil", crap.

To hell with philosophy, make the bastards pay for what they've done.

Scared? You should be scared, but not of me.
You should be scared of the U.S. doing nothing; weakness will invite more of this, guaranteed.

Say what you want, I don't give a SH!T.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Period, no further comment, don't talk to me, leave me alone.

This whole thing has made me sick.

M

Mundungu

The guilty must be punished.

Blind retaliation is NOT the solution.

As I said In Wonka's thread, remember with the Oklahoma bombing, every body was pointing to the muslim extremists only to find that is was not the case.

D

Dementia

I can honestly say that seeing so many people fight back and forth over these things are as depressing as what happened today. Not at all as sad as what happened, but to me, it is depressing me very much.

Duel, I am truely curious to know what you think should happen. What should we do about this?

You do realize that if we do nothing about this then it is just a matter of time till it happens again don't you?

G

Griffith_se

Originally posted by Mundungu
The guilty must be punished.

Blind retaliation is NOT the solution.

Yeah and radiation isn't a cure for cancer, but it's the best thing we have.

At least you have a chance for remission, do nothing and you die for sure.

Do you understand my point?

It's the way I feel about it, right now.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

You may have seen this already. Oh well.

As Mundungu has already pointed out, they said this about the Oklahoma City Bombing too, at first.
But then (of course) we found out that it was an American.
That event occured on a date with special significance (exactly one year after the Branch Davidian complex in Waco, Texas was attacked by government forces).
Today's date also has special significance. Today is (IN OUR CALENDAR) September 11, 2001.
Sep. 11, 2001. 9-11-2001. 911.
Now, I have a hunch that the fact that the attack came on this date is some sort of sick joke.
If it is, then I suspect that it might not be the work of Osama bin laden. Many foreign, non-"Western" countries use different calendars than ours, so this might not have even occured to them.
Of course, I could be wrong. We could all be wrong.
My point is that we shouldn't assume anything to be absolutely true at this point.

I agree with you, anyone who did this is very depraved.
I think that we should not kill them, but we should not do nothing to them.
The best punishment would be to forget about this entirely.
I also know that that would never happen. Don't think I don't know that.
But Duel is right.

This is obviously a touchy issue, and will be for years, so I won't condemn any opinions (at least I'll try not to).

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I meant that I made the post in Off-Topic before I went over here and read this. Sorry for any confusion.

R

Rando

Has anyone heared from Spiderman today?

He lives in Maryland, very near DC I fear...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

He lives in/around Baltimore, which is about 40-50 miles from DC.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Originally posted by Ransac
The reason I was pleased with that statement was that it proved to me that the government has confidence in the fact that they will handle this situation appropriately. Another plus on that statement was the unity that was felt in the room by my schoolmates. The statement lifted our statements from an otherwise unhappy day.
Hatred always brings about the best case of unification..............nationalism.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And you're both wrong too...

Duel, you're right - we should not go off half-cocked and "kill 'em all". We should not, as a nation, advocate the slaying of their innocents in response to innocent people here being slain in these heinous acts of terrorism.

That would make us no better than them, for crying out loud.

In fact, going one step further, I'd say that we should not do anything until we know exactly who was involved in these attacks, and who supports these attackers.

But I agree with Griffith - that once the people responsible for this have been determined, we should go after them with all we've got. If some innocents get in the way when we do, well, I'm sorry, but as far as our country is concerned that's just too fricken' bad.

People, this was an act of war, plain and simple. To not respond in kind may make us morally superior to the enemy...

To not respond at all would make us cowards. :(

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Originally posted by TomB

People, this was an act of war, plain and simple. To not respond in kind may make us morally superior to the enemy...

To not respond at all would make us cowards. :(
A-men!

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

EricBess

Thank you TomB. I hope that we can all come to that conclusion.

For those of you who want to simply strike out and kill, please pause for a moment. We are all angry, yes, but I think that if you pause to catch your breath, you will realize that you don't want to rush into this without getting the fact straight.

For those of you who abhor killing to the point that you are appalled that those of us who suggest it are animals, I think that deep down you realize that something must be done. Sure, we could catch these animals and try to lock them up. But I think you know deep down that there is no reforming these people. Let's face it, there were over 50,000 people killed this morning. Or at least, very close to that number.

And if it's a religion issue with you, know that God would want us to defend our land, our families, and our freedom.