Amazing Race

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the animosity has been there or building up but now it's at the point where it makes good TV?

You didn't miss much about the before the plane. Just all the teams getting to the airport and wishing BJ and Tyler wouldn't make it.

Oh yeah, the money thing in the beginning. It seems they asked the other teams to leave some money on their car in the morning and only Fran & Berry and Ray and Yolanda did so. The frat boys gave them an IOU to be claimed after the race... I guess that's why R&Y are ranked higher for us than the frat boys and MoJo. Yeah, it's a game so they're not obligated to help or anything but at the same time, that behavior doesn't cause us to root for them :)

E

EricBess

That's funny...I agree that the frat boys probably could have been a bit more generous, but given the history of BJ and Tyler, I've got to think that they at least appreciated the humor of it...It's a bit reminiscent of the "sign-up sheet" trick the hippies played.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think at this point, with it down to four teams (well, five when the episode aired), the pressure might be getting more to them...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the episode and man, MoJo really has it out for the hippies! The sad thing is that the hippies really don't have it out for them... yeah, they yielded them and tried to start a "rumor" (which did have a basis in truth), but it looked they felt bad when they did the Yield. I think they just want to have fun and everyone else have fun too.

The frat boys "prank" of cancelling the taxis sure backfired on them - that was pretty funny.

Too bad the hippies lost the race to the Pit Stop and have to lose their money again - if only BJ was wearing his shoes! And didn't take that weird detour around the bridge...

E

EricBess

Haven't seen it yet. Saw a preview for next week and couldn't think of anyone that was missing, so I figured it was non-elimination...

E

EricBess

Yeah, usually we watch it the day of, but were weren't able to this week...

E

EricBess

Yep, I agree with everything you said. Looks like BJ's detour cost them. I think in his mind, he was taking a short cut, but he slipped and nearly fell. If he had just stayed on the bridge, I think they would have been 3rd.

Amazing just how close it was at the end. I don't know that they have ever had 3 teams show up at the same time like that before. 2 yes, but 3? Never that I remember.

The taxi thing was kind of funny. I'm not sure it "backfired", but really not sure what happened to their taxi, either. Thing is, BJ and Tyler were convinced that the taxi trick was done by MoJo and they may not have yielded MoJo if Eric & Jeremy's taxi had shown up.

I find it funny that MoJo were talking so much about, "next yield is going to the hippies" and then they get all bent out of shape that they were yielded instead. Seemed like a bit of a double standard. Or sour grapes at the very least.

It was odd watching the race, knowing how it was going to turn out. BJ and Tyler were way out in the lead. Sure, Eric and Jeremy weren't that far behind (and even caught up in the river), but if ever there was a correct and an incorrect detour to do, this would have to have been in. The dirigidoo search was clearly significantly faster than the 1 mile down the river. BJ & Tyler made a comment about their bad luck trying to find things...

It is cool that BJ got to do the sky diving, though. Now he can't say that Tyler gets all the fun road blocks.

And Ray and Yoldanda way ahead of the pack to the mat...of course, it was really the choice of detour that did it. I'm surprised they didn't appear more shocked to hear that they were team number one, considering they should have known that two other teams had been significantly ahead of them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't remember three teams going at the same time for the pit stop either. That was pretty cool.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to E&J's taxi either - I don't think they ever found out (or showed it). I liked how they said it must have been MoJo who cancelled them but when they all got to the airport together and the hippies confronted MoJo, E&J backed off and said they didn't say it.

I think MoJo does have a double standard... plus Mo whining about "It's not fair". I still would like to know what happened to generate such aminosity between them... but like I said, it seems the hippies aren't all that against them (or at least their statement of feeling bad for yielding them indicated).

I didn't think the river was going to be that time-consuming but apparently it was. That's too bad, because it seemed like the more "fun" challenge (at least to me - I like river wading).

Yeah, BJ can't complain about the roadblocks anymore :)

I agree about R&Y not being more shocked, but maybe they were just worn out...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night's episode....

I'm so happy! MoJo got eliminated! Woo-hoo!

And BJ & Tyler came in first! Not that it means too much as there's always a catch-up, like at the airport, but still, from last to first... I'm glad they kept plugging away at the crickets.

Ray and Yolanda come in a close second though - they've been helping out the hippies when they've come in last and just pretty nice too.

The only thing I got confused about was why MoJo got on a later bus than the hippies. Were they all at the same bus station or did MoJo just get bad info that the station would open at 5 AM? That was peculiar...

Other than that, the race was pretty straightforward with the roadblock and detour.

E

EricBess

The Fast Forwards are always a bit odd, though. It's a huge risk to go for it, even if no other teams are going for it. They always seem to do things that might be fairly unpleasant. Eaching cockroaches is a far cry from shaving off your hair, but still...

My understanding was that MoJo misunderstood when the bus station opened. So, by the time they got there to buy a ticket, BJ and Tyler's bus had already left.

I actually have been reasonably impressed with Joe recently. He's been pretty abusive at times to Monica, but the last couple of episodes, his "abuse" has been more along the lines of, "please don't worry about it. It's only a game."

But, I'm still glad to have them go. At this point, I'm hopping for BJ and Tyler to win, but I'm happy with any of the three teams. Ray and Yolanda never impressed me much throughout, but they've been pretty consistent recently.

The one thing I noticed is that the roadblock probably got a bit easier once one of the teams had completed it. Part of the reason it took so long was trying to keep the monkeys away from the food and once there was a completed "feast", they didn't have to steal from the people still building.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but going for the FF is a pretty good deal in that you stay in one place (from what I remember), just have to complete that task, and then go to the pit stop as opposed to doing the roadblock, detour, and all the traveling in between. And that was the perfect time for BJ and Tyler to get the FF since the frat boys already did one and R&Y dropped out and MoJo was just too far back.

You probably know by now, but apparently MoJo was misinformed by a misinformed attendent about the opening times or times the earliest bus left.

Got to see most of the finale while on vacation and all I can say is: Woo-hoo! BJ & Tyler won! Man, that was nerve-wracking, how the frat boys got to the final roadblock first but they managed to mess it up for BJ to take the lead!

It's been a week so I don't actually remember too much unless you jog my memory, but the funniest and most exasperating to watch was when BJ & Tyler kept walking by the snowshoes. I kept saying "Don't pull a Fran & Barry!" (how they kept missing the clue box on the bridge in the first episode).

Not too sure how R&Y fell behind when they were all on the same final flight, but I guess they were just bad with directions and had to keep stopping to ask someone. That just caused them to fall further behind.

Great season.

E

EricBess

I got the impression that Ray and Yolanda just weren't competative enough. Maybe they weren't able to run as fast or whatever, but they stopped for directions a lot and other little things that seemed to keep getting them behind.

I was thinking the same thing with the Snow Shoes. I really liked what they did with the final challenge. Some of the ones in the past haven't really been linked to the game (get through this maze). I like how they tied it in and they had to remember everywhere they had been as well as a bit of extra information. The Frat boys had a couple of things out of order or they would have been there. If they hadn't made the first swap, they would have won, but making the first, incorrect swap, and then second-guessing themselves about the Taiwan flag killed them.

But I think the most deserving team won. It really said something about them that they left money for Ray and Yolanda. At this point in the game, what goes around no longer comes around, so stratigically, it was a bad move. But, their nature was to help out and support other people as well and they were true to that.

It was unclear how far the FF was from the other challenge. I was under the impression they had to drive to get there, but that it wasn't too far away (maybe 6 miles?). But yeah, once Ray and Yolanda left, all they had to do was tough it out.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The frat boys had a lot out of order but yeah, the Taiwan flag got them. Especially since he went back to the flag area to bring the incorrect one, then went back again to get the first choice. BJ was just right on the money with everything - he just couldn't remember the Russian flag but once Tyler helped him out, he just had to shift all of his flags to the right.

I would have been very disappointed with BJ & Tyler if they didn't help R&Y at the start, especially since R&Y helped them twice. But they did, so all as good.

I don't think it was too far either, but somehow R&Y just fell behind going to the snowshoe challenge? whatever was right after the airport and just never caught up.