Amazing Race

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I saw everything but the first half hour of last week's show and was hoping to see the first 30 minutes before today, but alas, it was not to be...

Still, I gathered that it was getting on a plane and from Phil's remarks above, a plane that was expected to land first was delayed, so probably no big deal. I guess the highlights was seeing the older couple continually walk by the clue box on the bridge (also referenced by Phil above), the two teams that decided to switch from the motorcycles to the helicopters but didn't lose ground, and the slightly surprise finish of the two sisters who were in last pretty much all the way but got ahead of the two lifelong friends.

No attachments yet as to who we want to win the race yet though.

E

EricBess

Yeah, it takes a while to form too many opinions. And you pretty much summarized what happened early. There were 3 flights leaving through 3 different routes. The one that was supposed to arrive first ended up arriving second, but it wasn't too far behind the first one.

The two girls and the older couple both switched from motorcycles to the helecopters. They actually lost quite a bit of time switching, but the girls were early enough to arrive at the detour in the first place, so if they had gone straight to the helecopters, there is a good chance they would have ended up a lot better off than they did.

The thing is, even though they older couple kept missing the clue box, they were at the bridge pretty early, too, so only a couple people passed them up (including the girls).

In the end, there were three couples that hit the helecopters at roughly the same time. For whatever reason, there were a lot of couples that went to the second closest destination building and the lifelong friends were just a bit behind. There is a good chance that there were still tickets available for the closest location still, but at that point, everyone was just trying to get up in the air. It's possible that taking an extra minute to find the closer location would have changed the end result.

As far as the two sisters being in last place the whole way, the lifelong friends were never that far ahead of them.

The only team that seemed to stand out to me was the hippie guys. They got on the first plane, which got delayed, so they were in the second group, then they managed to get back in front of most of the people that were on the first plane to arrive. Everyone else just sort of fell in order.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this time I saw last night's episode except for the last 15 minutes 'cause my baby woke up. Not many impressions... though the frat boys seem to be horn-dogs (although it seems more like an act and "having fun" than really being serious). The hippy guys are pretty funny - I'm starting to root for them. They're nice and just seem to be having a good time. Second is one of the couples who are dating... they're the ones who wear glasses and did the sugarcane detour. They also seem to be having fun.

Everyone's pretty nice, in fact, no one stands out as exceptionally mean or nasty. I thought the dad from the parent set was going to be a "super competitive" freak like some previous contestants but his wife seems to be able to calm him down when he gets too hyper and he's not that mean towards her.

E

EricBess

Yeah, nothing too surprising this week, except that the girls, who you would think would be able to do okay as one of the younger and stronger teams, just can't seem to pick themselves up and get anywhere.

The last 3 teams were all convinced they had been eliminated. In fact, it was already dark by the time the older couple drove up. But in the end, the sisters were so far behind (and did the "press-it", so the other teams didn't have any reference point of where they were), that the older couple was safe and the sisters were eliminated.

E

EricBess

Just found out something interesting. One of the frat boys is the nephew of one of the people in my church ward. I don't have the episode recorded, so I can't go back and watch it, but apparently, most of the womanizing talk comes from Eric. Jeremy, who is the nephew, was reportedly trying to downplay it.

In the scene, Eric is talking about how they are hoping to get some sex by the end of the race, and supposedly Jeremy say something to the effect of, "or a date".

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you are right that it is mostly an act. Having been in those situations myself, it might even be Eric trying to give Jeremy a hard time or just trying to embarass him in front of the camera...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, of course, with all of the couples, only the really good lines get shown. So what he's saying could be totally out of context anyway...

It's just funny though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Argg! Last night's is a "To Be Continued!" Boooo! :D

No real surprises here, except that in the Roadblock, if the clue says "take a plunge" and you're next to a pool, why would a water-fearing person do it? Plus, they aren't advertising that each person has to do a set amount of Roadblocks this time, so there shouldn't be any reason why a water-fearing person would have to do it...

And what's up with the not being able to find someone who knows where the trolley place is? My hippy guys are losing out because of it... :)

Oh, and the "Pink Ladies" forgetting their bag at the roadblock and having to go back was kinda huge... seeing as how the frat boys reached Phil first, they conceivably could have been up there (although who knows how long it would have taken them to find the clue in the dolls).

E

EricBess

lol...That's exactly what I was thinking about the Roadblock. And what was that comment...something about not wanting to do the Roadblock because they might have to be naked? Did you hear that? Where did that come from?

Yeah, the taxi drivers really seemed to have problems last night. I wouldn't worry about the hippies, though. The fell back a bit, but they found the clue and are well on their way still in the first four or five teams. They'll catch up. I don't think there has been a team since Rob and Amber that kept rising to the top as well as these guys.

Ug...The matrushka doll challenge...If you get lucky, then maybe it will be quick. Or, maybe you'll be there all night and have to tip over 100 bales of hay and still not find the clue...

At least it was a Detour, not a Roadblock (oh yeah, the taxi drivers...so it's a 2-man Roadblock after all). But there should be plenty of catch-up time anyway, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Here's my question - is everyone putting the dolls back together again? I swear it looks like they are. I wonder if that was part of the challenge because it sure seems to be a huge waste of time. Plus, I feel bad for the last few people trying to find the remaining clue. There are only 10 and if everyone had chosen that...(of course, not everyone did - there were 4 teams who finally got to the trolleys).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I heard that naked comment... I guess maybe initially she thought it was something like the "polar bear plunge" (which, I guess the dive was anyway). Why she thought it would be naked, I'm not sure... and even afterwards, she said she was relieved she didn't have to do it in a swim suit. So maybe she has something about swim suits and swimming?

I thought everyone was putting the dolls back together and also not sure why. Maybe it was part of the clue that wasn't "read" to us (the audience). Beats me...

E

EricBess

So, not much new with this episode. The only comment I have is that I don't think that the two girls are going to last much longer. They just always seem to be dependant upon what others are doing instead of taking any initiative themselves.

The complained about always having to fight for last, but they followed the other team around in a complete circle and still waited and followed them instead of just taking off to figure it out on their own. Really, it just came down to a bit of luck that they found their gnome first.

There seem to be a lot of "diminishing returns" challenges this season. In this episode alone you had both the gnomes and the bottles. Seeing the dancing, I would have thought the bottles would be easier, but I have to say, they sure seemed to be pretty lenient on what was acceptable with the dance.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I kept saying to my wife - Why they heck are the girls (or anyone in general) following other people? Do your own thinking!

I agree about the challenges too... we thought it was fortunate the mother-daughter team found the Gnome before Phil had to come out on the field like in one of the past races :) Trying to find 3 out of the 150 in a reasonable amount of time is pretty long odds.

Ditto about the dance, although it did seem more fun.

I missed the first 15 minutes and didn't tape it, so whatever they did in Moscow, I missed. I'm guessing it wasn't too important though :)

E

EricBess

There were a few teams that hadn't finished up the detour from last week. The clue Phil handed them at the mat said to head to the airport and fly to Frankfort, Germany.

The only interesting part was the airlines. Eric and Jeremy got tickets on a 7:15 flight. Just as they were wrapping up their transaction, Lake and Michelle arrive and tried to get tickets on the same flight, only to be told that boarding had closed. They showed Eric and Jeremy getting on the plane and there were tons of open seats. Lake and Michelle had to get on the 9:30 flight.

Then, over time, everyone else shows up. But they can't get tickets because "the computers are down". They finally open the windows and BJ and Tyler get a seat on the 9:30 flight. Ray and Yolanda are next in line and the girl tells them that they are closed for the night and that they have to come back and get tickets the next morning for a 7:00 am flight.

Again, they show BJ and Tyler greet Lake and Michelle on the 9:30 flight and there are empty seats everywhere.

Everyone else managed to get on the 7:00 am flight.

In the end, it didn't hurt as badly as it seemed because the Mercedes-Benz test track didn't open until 8:30 am. The 7:00 am people all arrived around noon to the test track, so they were about 3 1/2 hours behind and probably got more sleep.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, I forgot it was a "to be continued" episode...

Yeah, all that maneuvering to get an early flight doesn't seem to do much good when the destination has a set time to open :)

E

EricBess

Well, getting out a day early mattered :D, but other than that, yeah.

E

EricBess

Seemed like there were a lot fewer clues this time before the checkpoint. There was a yield. I won't say too much until you get a chance to watch it, but I'm definitely forming an opinion of one particular team that I don't want to win.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw it last night...

Is the team Lake and Michelle? That's my vote for NOT getting it... he's just coming off as an oink... whining when things aren't going his way, gloating when they are, calling people names, setting up the girls on the Yield when there was another team...

The "hippy" guys (who I still forget their names) still crack me up and have my vote.

I liked that the Roadblock had two extra pieces and fooled alot of people... :)

I thought the laundry would take longer than it did, but that seemed easier and shorter than the breaking of beer bottles or looking through the dolls in Russia on past similiar challenges...

E

EricBess

I usually pull up the website because I never remember names very well. I can't think of their names off the top of my head, either, but I feel like it's on the tip of my tounge.

Yes, Lake and Michelle are the team I was talking about. Danielle and Danny aren't really that competative and probably would have been eliminated within the next couple of weeks anyway, but yesterday, there was another team (here I go to the website), Ray and Yolanda (btw - BJ and Tyler are the hippies), that messed up and should have been eliminated instead. I'm not exactly sure how they got behind, but they showed up just after the yield had expired. Yielding someone just so you can come in 6th instead of 7th (they eventually passed David and Lori for 5th) is simply rude.

Also, I'm not sure, but it seemed like the judges weren't being consistent. Danielle and Danny failed to pass twice and as far as I could tell, a couple pieces in the legs were just misadjusted, but everything was in the right place. But if you look when Ray and Yolanda pass, their leg pieces weren't exactly lined up well either.

I did feel a little bad for Lori...The fact that she's good at puzzles worked against her because she was being a perfectionist. It seemed to me that she had the puzzle together completely two separate times and pulled it completely apart because she couldn't get the other two pieces in. Everyone else just seemed to throw in the towel early and get it checked anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the girls just seemed to keep coming in last and barely making it the past couple of episodes, so I think it was inevitable that they'd be eliminated.

Yeah, Ray and Yolanda probably should have been eliminated if "everything went well" - no yields and everyone got the challenge done in a decent amount of time. They lucked out.

I'm not sure about the judges - I never really saw a clear shot of any of the statues to compare. I'm tending to think that if the pieces weren't fitting "smooth", then the players would get called like the girls had it. I don't remember R&Y's legs being too out of joint.

I also don't know how close everyone was to each other. The 2-4 teams had a slight advantage, it seemed, because once one found out that a couple pieces weren't supposed to fit, the other team knew it too. But you'd think that after L&M got theirs, the others would have seen that too but Lori didn't...