Amazing Race

E

EricBess

Some of the scenes made it look like the statues were pretty spread out. I wondered the same thing about why Lori didn't realize that, but Lake was pretty quiet about it.

Oh, the other thing I've started to notice is that Fran and Barry are a bit cutthroat also. I could just be against certain teams, but there have been a couple of times where another team has asked them a simple question and their answer has been, "we can't tell you". Happened last time when Lake and Michelle showed up too soon at the pitstop and last week at the ticket counter when they were getting a better flight and trying to push everyone else back so they couldn't see what was going on.

BJ and Tyler, on the other hand, commented on karma. They've even waited for other teams a couple of times so they could work together a bit.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that about Fran and Barry too, but I figure that if they were *really* cutthroat, there'd be a lot more scenes like that. However, they seem to be pretty arre so I think it's just the competition and the gradual eliminations.

BJ and Tyler and just funny and cool... I hope they win :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night's episode on time... :)

I thought Dave & Lori or Yolanda and man would come in last - the other teams are either too strong or just had too much of a lead. All of the stuff was pretty easy to do - the only thing that potentially had a long time was selling the fish, but only Barry & wife did that and they did it pretty fast. The kayak teams looked like they were letting the players score their shots pretty easy - only if they didn't have enough arm strength like Michelle did they fail the first couple of teams. So it was pretty much a straight shot the whole way through.

E

EricBess

Yeah, there pretty much wasn't any changes in position this time. The only "catch-up" point was at the very beginning and it only allowed one team to catch up.

Still, I thought BJ and Tyler's whole "sign-up sheet" was great. The funny thing was Eric and Jeremy signing it, then saying, "does this look official to you?" Clearly, no one was going to be fooled for long, but the fact is they weren't really trying to fool anyone, just to have a good laugh. When all was said and done, it was put back, but no one else arrived before opening anyway.

I'm not sure how Ray and Yolanda got ahead of Dave and Lori. It was something to do with one of the car trips, but I didn't really see anyone getting lost or anything. Of course, I wasn't really sure just how far behind they were anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, the sign up sheet was hilarious :)

I think Ray and Yolanda got ahead of Dave and Lori in the beginning - they found the "grounds" first. They were coming up when Barry and wife were leaving. So I think that Dave's refusal to ask directions when they first got into town meant he was driving around for a while before they got that motorcycle guy to lead them, while Ray and Yolanda stopped pretty much right away when they saw the traffic and just hoofed it.

E

EricBess

Yes, I think you are correct...And from last week's episode, they were probably pretty close to each other starting out.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the taped episode...

I thought for sure BJ and Ryan would be eliminated after their wrong direction disaster! But what even baffles me more is how Michelle and Luke ended up last!? It looked like they left the challenge at the same time as Barry & wife and nothing was showed (that much) that THEY were lost too... that was confusing.

Nothing else really stands out right now.

E

EricBess

Yeah, there was one scene that seemed to indicate that they had taken a wrong turn and had gotten a bit lost, but they like to do those at the end anyway, just to make you think things are going to be close.

E

EricBess

I just have one thing to say about last night's episode...I really don't like the quantity of "needle in a haystack" challenges they've been using this season. When a competative team can be in a solid first place, then sink to dead last solely because of bad luck, I really don't think that's good.

They've been better this season about making sure that it doesn't matter as much, so I do have to give them credit, but it is a bit frustrating. I won't say whether or not it was an elimination round until you've had a chance to see it, though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw it last night :)

yeah, I agree... only 6 out of 117 mounds? Geez... although to be honest, it looked like BJ wasn't digging too whole-heartedly, even at the beginning. Later on I can understand because of discouragement and heat, but from the beginning, it looked like he was just poking at it.

It was kind of disappointing since they moved from last to near first up to that point. But at least it was non-elimination - I thought it would be since they haven't had any yet :)

And despite the show showing the frat boys getting lost and the hippies going to the pit stop, since the frat boys had finished the challenge pretty early on, I figured they were going to be BJ and Tyler.

E

EricBess

Yeah, it was interesting to see both Jeremy/Eric and BJ/Tyler at the end.

And you are right, you can't really tell if the reason he's not finding one is because he didn't dig deep enough on the ones that were there or if he just never tried one. But even so, he could very easily have just been unlucky.

Still, the fact that this was a non-elimination round gives me hope that they are intentionally trying to avoid situations where people flat-out lose because of that.

I think BJ is getting a bit frustrated in general with the game. Coming in nearly last twice in a row and always "lucking out" with the tough challenges. Still, that was the first time that either one of them has seemed anything but carefree when BJ made the comment about bungy jumping.

I still hope that they manage to turn it around. Of all the teams, I would rather see them win it all at this point.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, me too.

I just think he was frustrated with the task, not with the whole game. All the previous episodes, they were carefree and wacky and he didn't seem like he held a "grudge" against Tyler for doing the "fun stuff". I'm just guessing he spent about 4-5 hours trying to dig up the thing in the heat and was getting frustrated and tired.

E

EricBess

Probably true. Thinking back on it, Tyler seemed more upset at himself for the whole 2-hours in the wrong direction than BJ seemed to be with him. They both seemed to be, "here we are, kick us out" with a smile last week.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wooo! Got to see the episode last night...

I didn't realize there was such animosity between MoJo and the hippies.

I'm glad the hippies caught up for the plane, although they seemed to fall back some afterwards. We were wondering if they'd get penalized for not strictly taking a ferry to the Prison island but going a roundabout way but I guess it was okay.

My wife was upset that Fran & Berry got eliminated; she was really rooting for them. But now she's rooting for the hippies :)

Next week House is supposed to be a two-night show so I hope it doesn't overlap or run into Amazing Race... or it's gonna be a trade-off! ;)

E

EricBess

Yeah, I don't know if that's new or what, but both said that if they hit a yield, they would use it on the other without even hesitating.

I missed the first 15 minutes. My wife caught a few minutes more than I and told me they barely caught the plane, but I didn't see anything leading up to that.

One of the things I like about the hippies is that the're willing to help out. In the end, that may end up costing them or not. I'm rooting for them just for the karma. Jonathan really tried to shut Tyler down at the road block, but even though they know that there is hardly anyone left there, Tyler offers to help Yolanda out finding the mines.

And yeah, of all of the old couples that have been on the show, Fran and Barry actually seemed like they had a chance to make final 3. I would have prefered to see Ray and Yolanda get eliminated.