Aeon Flux

C

Chaos Turtle

Dang, I wa hoping to be the one to break that story!

Yes, I got the same news, which was the first I'd heard of a movie. Hopefully, Ms. Theron will recover quickly. The movie is slated for a 2005 release. The only other actor I know whose name I recognize who will be in it is Frances McDormand (Fargo,The Man Who Wasn't There) as The Handler. I believe the director is the same as who directed Girlfight.

Looking forward to seeing this one.

N

Notepad

I already forsee this thing as a HUGE and DISMAL FAILURE at the box office, sorta like Tomb Raider. Even Angelina Jolie in tight suits and a shower scene wasn't enough to save that turd of a movie. I imagine they'll do the same with Theron in this movie.

All these "boobs and guns" movies never do well. I'm sure somebody can name an exception (I guess Resident Evil was not a complete failure...but it didn't do too well as I remember) but I can't think of anything that did really well in that genre, compared to other breakout successes from crappy genres, like the superhero movies. Spiderman and X-Men did well. Then again, Hulk sorta sunk hopes of superhero movies being good from now on. And Spiderman 2 was a total pile of crap, even if it was a box office success.

/pointless rant

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Spiderman 2 was good in what reviews and articles said it was trying to do; namely showing angst and the balance of finding oneself, both for Spidey and Doc Ock, but I thought the Doc Ock character was either underdeveloped as a whole or developed too quickly (depending on how you look at it) before they seemingly killed him. I mean, he's one of Spidey's main foes and one movie wasn't enough to really show his depth (now that I think about it, so was Green Goblin but his legacy at least was carried on by his son in the comics and looks to be the same in the next one, so he's kinda "still around")

N

Notepad

I have to totally argue with you on that point about Spiderman 2. There's a difference between angst (see: My So Called Life) and stupid whiny pining for no reason at all (see: Saved by the Bell in any Screech pining over Lisa episode). SM2 was much more like a bad episode of Saved by the Bell when it came to the supposed romance between Peter and Mary. It was slipshod and just wrong. Over the course of many comics this might have made sense, but in a movie which has a timeline spanning only a few days (maybe a week at most), it is absolutely silly that Parker keeps crying over his lost Mary, and Mary keeps giving him chances. There is absolutely no reason for her to like him, especially after the screw ups in part 2. But she does, constantly, as if only the fact they're main characters is all she needs to be crazy over him.

The running out on her wedding was the stupidest thing ever. It was only after she found out Peter was Spiderman that her feelings for Peter/both made sense. However, if she was so flushed with romance for her hero, her going along with a wedding until the very last second makes no sense. A normal character would've called off the wedding. A badly-written over-the-top movie character instead leaves her non-loved fiance at the altar. Feh! Just retarded.

And what was the thing with the skinny Russian girl? Sure, seeing that people have sympathy for Peter is one thing, but this oddball micro-romance served no true purpose. Unless of course, she's a villain in part three. (Stick Woman? Bones, Avatar of the Unfed? The Nearly-Invisible Woman? What could such a person be called?)

Doc Ock was outright badly developed. He was two dimensional entirely. Not one second of the film showed him grieving his wife (unless I fell asleep and missed it...sorry, the movie sucked!). One would think one would miss his wife, especially seeing how cozy they were with each other. The arms controlling him through the whole movie made sense, but it totally left out any possibility for him becoming evil under his own choice. His supposed three-dimensional character change is nothing of the sort, as it is merely Otto learning to come to the forefront of his own mind, rather than letting the arms do all the thinking. There was no transformation or development. Otto was a good guy, a bit obsessed with his work. Then the arms take over and drive his obsession into overdrive. Then Otto takes control and all is good again. No mind changes, no inner struggle. Nothing, just a switch of two "beings" in one mind, one a rather good guy (Otto) and one a self-serving machine (the arms).

He was nicely played as a mindless bad-guy, though. For a machine-run automiton, Doc Ock was a MUCH BETTER villain than the goblin from part one.

Overall, the action in the movie was good. The action and special effects made it worth seeing. And, if you've ever wanted to see what a nipple looks like, Kirsten Dunst does her part to help curious folks out there. Then any, I think any movie with her in it does that. She's a hussy, I hear. (burn!*) A decent movie, but if you want story, it is trash. Dude, Where's My Car has better-developed characters.

(* Had to take a shot at Dunst. She said in an interview she thinks Spiderman should die in the next movie. Penny Arcade already bashed her)

C

Chaos Turtle

All else aside, I can tell you from personal experience that a person will go through with a wedding even if he knows it to be a terrible idea, and even if he's secretly harboring feelings for another. Just because he thinks it's what he's "supposed" to do.

N

Notepad

I know. I know. My neighbor and I, we knew it was wrong for Ken and Barbie to get married, but we forced them to go through with it, my neighbor and I. She played with her dolls. And I played the sniper in the chapel forcing Ken to go through with the vows.

I just wish she woulda let me shoot Ken's head off, just for spite.

Wait...this still doesn't make Spider-Man 2's horrible character development any less horrible. Normally people stick with it for the poontang, am I right? Mary Jane didn't look like she was in need of poontang from that spaceman guy. Why did she go through with the wedding?

-Sefro, in yet another pointless "talking out my oink" post

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That was funny and I didn't even see the movie. I'm sure it would have made more sense if I had...

Actually, I'm not so sure... :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
SeFRo: I agree with your specific points - those incidents/events seemed very rushed to be in one film and without knowing the comic book history of Spidey. But I think the take on Parker/Spidey himself was well-done; how he was twisted inside, didn't want to be a hero, forced himself to turn away from that beating/mugging.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think probably all the comic book ripoff movies suffer from that problem...

I mean look at the X-Men movies...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's just hard in general to adapt 30 years of comic history to one movie; you'd need almost the equivalent of what they're doing to Harry Potter and do chunks at a time (since a comic book is shorter than a 800 page novel)

O

orgg

Harry Potter's books had the potential to be excellent. However, they tried to keep the legnth down for the 'kids' in the audience.

Big Mistake, and the moves ended up SUCKING Champions of Kamigawa.

On the other hand, the films for Lord of the Rings were done right. If Potter had taken the same route, LotR might not have been as huge and groundbreaking as it was.

As it was, Potter acted like it was shortstacked and folded while Peter Jackson went All In and quadrupled up.

N

Notepad

I saw something like the last 45 minutes of the first Potter movie, and all but the first ten minutes of the second movie. They seemed quite good, for kids movies. Yeah, as an adult I wasn't too interested in the movies, except for a few creative elements (really, really liked the way time travel was handled in that second movie).

Always figured Harry Potter was a kids book, so making the movies as kids movies made the most sense. They aren't for the 20-50ish fanboys of fantasy, comics and scifi. They are for the 4-13 kid crowd. As such, I say they were very well done.

Unless of course they missed something the books touched on. Never read the books. Never really cared to find out about the Potter stuff. Its for kids. Only saw the first movie because I had a nearly-expired "free movie" ticket and it was the last movie playing. Only saw the second one because I was very bored and I didn't feel like going home for another hour or two. As time-killers and freebies, the movies were good.

While we're at it...did anybody see Resident Evil 2? I thought it was much better than Spider-Man 2. Way better action, but the story sucked just as much as SM2.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think they only tried to keep the length down because the books got longer as if they tried to keep true to the books, they'd have one gigantically long movie. The first was what, 3 hours long?

Harry Potter is a "kids" book but more for the younger pre-teen to teen set, like maybe 8-14. I say this because Harry Potter starts out about 12 or so and so has issues that kids his age can relate to.

But I liked them also :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I saw Resident Evil 2.

No matter how cool they tried to make the Alice character, it could not make up for Nemesis sucking and not having his tendril of doom with which to smite petty humans...

Also a lot of minor things didn't make too much sense. Other than that it was pretty good. The action scenes were great (except for the ones with Nemesis involved).

C

Chaos Turtle

Regarding the Harry Potter books. Give them a chance. They seem to mature with the characters, and I believe that they are actually improve as they go. Sure, they're not Stephen King-y in terms of "mature content" (if you want to call it that) but they are quite good. Order of the Phoenix was a knockout.

N

Notepad

"Mature content"..."knockout"...? Um, dude, you shouldn't be wasting time getting Harry Potter if you want that. Or Stephen King. Just go to the magazine rack and find the top shelf, where they have all those opaque plastic-wrapped mags. You'll get plenty of mature content with knockouts, to boot. They even have ones with guys I hear, if that's what you're into.

*wink wink* No, not for Turtle, I mean all those self-loathing conservatives. :p

N

Notepad

Someday you will come to know my silliness is actually the only way the Word of God can be spoken to people, using yours truly as the medium, on a random internet forum.

Yeah, She works in strange ways, indeed.