9th Edition

N

Nightstalkers

I saw somewhere a complete spoiler... are those just rumors?

J

jorael

Yeah, not wizards official spoiler. See here for the unofficial visual spoiler: http://www.magicdeckvortex.com/VS_ninth_edition.htm

I guess it will be mostly correct. Cool stuff I really like:
-all 10 painlands
-Form o/t Dragon (with enduring ideal for a type 2 combo deck?!)
-Blinking Spirit (yay Clash of Realities!)
-weathered wayfarer (not broken land tax)
-soul warden (1 mana life gaining brokenness in multiplayer)
-only 2 cops (circle of protection): red and black
-battle of wits (very witty indeed)
-clone (aka legendary killer)
-hypnotic specter (......wtf?!?! random discard?!)
-Mindslicer (bu-bye wisdom decks)
-magnivore (still want to make a deck with this bad boy)
-greater good (hmmm, masumaro beatdown?)
-summer bloom (cool, old school)
-storage matrix (most probably with new wording...)

I never had any painlands, so I wonder if prices will go down or up now. The set has some really old school cards (karplusan yeti, hell's caretaker, summer bloom) from which Hypnotic Specter REALLY surprises me (if the rumors are correct). Random discard back in magic? No first turn hippy, they were smart enough not to include dark ritual :) But turn 2 is also nasty (chrome Mox). When mirrodin leaves type 2 that isn't even possible, but still, random discard?!?!

C

Crackdown

It is surprising to see random discard back in the form of Hypnotic Specter, especially after Rosewater wrote that people really dislike random discard more than the other two options (Distress and Abyssal Specter types).

Wildfire is going to be the focus of some awesome constructed decks. Even though it's 4RR to cast, a G/R deck could make real use of it, especially with the Zuberas.

[Skull Collector with Rats is simply sick. What warped mind thought of that card in combination with Ravenous Rats?]

Blue gets Clone, Confiscate, Evacuation and Traumatize to go along with Erayo and Twincast. Could be a resurgence in Blue is coming.

Red ... Kird Ape! Now I have something to do with my 42 copies of that card, but Wildfire . . ..

Green gets Might of Oaks, Natural Affinity, Zodiac Monkey, Utopia Tree, Seedborn Muse and a River Bear!

White gets ... nah, let's not bother.

Artifacts: Coat returns along with Jester's Cap and one of the all-time casual cards, Booby Trap! Let's see, what will we name from now until October 20th?

N

Nightstalkers

Random discard... eh... I'm more for it over the choose and discard type.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Crackdown said:
It is surprising to see random discard back in the form of Hypnotic Specter, especially after Rosewater wrote that people really dislike random discard more than the other two options (Distress and Abyssal Specter types).
It is surprising but it is "unofficial", so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Aaron Forsythe did say that perhaps they would explore and reinvigorate discard as a deck strategy in explaining one of his polls, but I don't remember how old that poll was :)

C

Crackdown

Spiderman said:
It is surprising but it is "unofficial", so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Aaron Forsythe did say that perhaps they would explore and reinvigorate discard as a deck strategy in explaining one of his polls, but I don't remember how old that poll was :)
Actually, it makes sense that they would elevate discard now that they've introduced the Wisdom mechanic of wanting more cards in hand. It's simply the ying-yang approach to Magic, which they've always done.

Wildfires decks will definitely be seeing play.

J

jorael

Cool how they revamped some of the creature types! Gatherer (oracle) will be even a more important tool for (tribal) deckbuilding.

Type 2 next year: Clash of realities + blinking spirit for teh win?! ;)

O

orgg

All Other Goblins.

I wouldn't complain if they did this for all of the other Lords, from Zombie Master to Baron Sengir... but if it's a spot thing, it just doesn't feel... fair.

N

Nightstalkers

Spiderman said:
Goblin King (is now type Goblin in addition to Lord!)
*does a little dance*

Whoo... Finally he can pitch in and help with other goblin spells and abilities.

But Quicksand... hee hee....

And they almost always reprint that blasted Beast of Burden.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
orgg said:
All Other Goblins.

I wouldn't complain if they did this for all of the other Lords, from Zombie Master to Baron Sengir... but if it's a spot thing, it just doesn't feel... fair.
My thoughts exactly.

J

jorael

Yeah, I guess Rancored Elf (mtg salvation's main source) did it again.

Should make an interesting type 2....

N

Nightstalkers

roflmao

Traumatize + Panoptic Mirror... Good lord... Sooo lucky that Mirrodin is gone after ninth kicks in.

Or is it still in?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mirrodin will still be in Standard since 9th is released July 29. Mirrodin only rotates out in the block expansions, so it'll go out in the fall when Ravinca is released.

Ferret

Staff member
Wow. All I can say is wow. After so many years of exile some of the best cards ever printed are back. I guess WotC just needed for cards that made them overly powerful to go away. Hypnotic Spectre was potent because you could pull one on first turn. Now that Dark Ritual is gone, it's a little easier. Kird Ape was quite a good turn one drop if you have a Taiga in play, but when was the last time we saw one of those? Goblin Balloon Brigade was considered too potent (???), but I guess they got over that logic. Trample was considered too 'complex' a mechanic for the basic sets, but look whose back: Force of Nature. Green's signature fatty.

Things are going to get interesting...

-Ferret

"HOWEVER, would it be TOO much to ask for Scryb Sprites?"