A discourse upon the habits and self defense of the socially rejected in High School.

If I asked you how many angels can dance on your head, what would you do?

• Laugh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take offense

• Hit me

• Give me money

• Say 42

• Say As many as want to

• Change the subject

• Roll your eyes

• Attempt to hit me with a book

• Dance a jig

• Total voters
R

Rando

I knew it! You are East Man, my arch nemisis! Prepare to die!

Well, if they guess what movie, then they by default guess where my handle comes from.

As of yet, no one has guessed corectly, so I will have to do it...

MST3K: TM

(end credits)

R

Rand

Ok, here's the explanation:

There is an old axiom that plagued theolgicians for years:

"Who many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

The final answer decided upon was "as many as want to."

But if you ask someone how many angels can dance on their head, that is inferring that they have the head of a pin...in other words, you called them a pinhead.

M

Multani

Exellent thread Rand. I commend you on your work.
However, I find I apply to none of your classifications, and that I am in all likelyhood not a nerd or a geek.
In my middle school (I'm going to high school after this summer) there was no Reject Corner so to speak of. Yes, there were a few isolated nerds here and there, but there were enough intelligent people in our school that there were possible two networks in our 8th grade.

Network one: Jocks and assorted blondes and other girls
Network two: Asian girls, and assorted Asian guys, as well as some caucasians

There were also other networks in the school though their influence was not heavily apparent.
I myself, am something of a renassianse figure.
I have no need of a Null field, and in a social crowd can hold my own quite well.
I have used my talents to gain the respect of almost everyone, Jock, or nerd.
Also, I have connections to the adult world as well, and frequently are favored by teachers.

Unlike you however, I have no appreciation for society. I view it as evil, and something that needs to be reformed, and criticized at every oppurtunity.

However, I also posses talents in the Book catagory, as well as computer knowledge. I however, am somewhat of a social isolationist. I am what some people may call a slight radical.
I am not afraid to express my views, and I am intelligent enough that most people are unable to properly retaliate.

I am well respected in the fact that there is a myth going on that I am an extremely smart person. My talents are often exaggerated and thus I am always under immense academic pressure.

However, through all this, I find your explanations and nomenclature amusing. I see the nerds of your school as truly nerds. I do not consider myself a nerd. As a matter of fact there are few like me. In the right mindset, I have the oppurtunity to turn people against each other at will.
However, I have a conscience which prevents me from being truly ruthless.

Perhaps I have an analogy proper for my description.
Think of me like Merlin. An advisor and a wise tactician. I am much like a modern Merlin, though I have yet to find an Arthur as of yet.

I have a close group of friends though I am on good terms with the better half the 8th, and now 9th grade class.

In my opinion, in the modern world, the classic nerd is a dying breed. People respect nerds, and nerds are now actually quite sociable. Bond-like Jocks are also a rarity nowadays. Everyone is slowly conforming in this modern world.
Like Rancor said, People are starting to be more alike.

R

Rand

My middle school had no reject corner to speak of, either.

As a freshman, try to avoid seniors, as they generally harbor a powerful animosity toward the youngest class. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Try not to look lost or confused the first day, though a new campus can ellicit such results.

Nevertheless, Q.E.D. not all social outcasts can be easily classified.

M

Multani

I'm not afraid of older people.
BTW, in my school district, High school years are seperated into

9th and 10th grade - High School
11th and 12th grade - Senior High School

Besides, I'm a fairly good terms with a few 10 th graders so I do not expect significant problems...

R

Rand

I was saying that the general animosity of Seniors would be inescapable; however, the split High School should hinder this effect quite a bit.

D

Darkstar

In the highschool i attend, I am freinds with a number of seniors, all of which play mtg. How lucky is that? Especially since that only about 15 people play in the entire school!

R

Rand

As they abandon you at the end of the year. I lost about half my friends last week in that manner.

T

theorgg

It is indeed a sad time when friends gratuate and you cannot keep in contact with them.

Until two years ago, I was a lacky to the head nerd. Now, it seems that I'm the head nerd and for some odd reason respected by everyone...

It's an odd feeling.

I'm going to be a senior this year, but in NO WAY will I be hostile to the freshmen. Matter of fact, I'm hoping that the freshmen will be numerous, as the Magic club and the school radio station NEED more people!

R

Rand

And again, it is only the general populace of Seniors that are stupid enough to act so to Freshmen. The social exiles, or some of them at least, are a much more understanding sort, having undergone adversity of their own, and as such usually are much more civil to the newcomers. I have even considered creating a club along the lines of "Student's fot the Fair Treatment of Freshmen," as this year's Sophomores were ravaged last year, and will likely recoil and take it out on this year's Freshmen.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Rand: I actually guessed right then on your poll.

theorgg: That gave me a chuckle: lackey who somehow got promoted to head :D

A

arhar

Bla bla bla bla bla, instead of wasting time classifying things that don't need to be classified, get a life!

O

Omni

Just kidding about the subject above :p but.... everything that Rand has said from his stories are true.... I saw it all with my own eyes.... except it wasn't james who was playing with the damn tradewind.... it was another one of those stupid freshmen that invade into our areas.... if you're wondering, i'm in the same position that Rand is being that i'm in every one of his classes.

-Omni, the all-knowing

E

ErinPuff

I'm friends with a few were-seniors and will-be-seniors through band.. nice fuzzy place where people of all ages get along ;)

L

lejakl

Very nice piece.. I like your style. cynical undertone.
prepare to listen to my un-book nerd-ish comments

Rand: I dont see why theorgg shouldn't be nice to the freshman. For one thing, social structures are like skeltons and are basically how things should be. Nerds are in their corner and Jocks are on the field. Seniors are ultimately superiour to Freshman. That sort of stuff. But if one Senior wants to befriend a Freshman I see nothing wrong with that. It's not, as you say, stupid, quite nice actually. Forming relations or bare acquaintances with freshman is not a BAD thing.

At first I liked your pieces, the first part. Then you continued into your classification which really bugs me. It's been done over and over, and it's never the same. People always say that they dont belong to any of them. Wouldn't that mean that none of the classifications are true? because no one truly belongs to any specific name. People cant be classed and dumped into a group. Perhaps it's only true to your school. I wouldn't take your quick judgements past high school. Your narrowminded wits will be scorned. (or not.... depends where you are and if your a persuasive speaker)

B

Bob

Although I'm probably going to become hated for this, and i'm going to regret posting this, I'm the third in command of the Freak Revolution, which was founded by some Ohian Guy who wants to destroy the evil preps and make the world a better place for the exiles.
I'd think of myself as a Demi-Gothic Geek Gamer.

S

Svenmonkey

Well, I guess I'm a Lost and a partial book nerd. I only have 2 close friends who I frequently stand about with in a dark side hallway, (which has, sadly, been discovered by the computer nerds, card gamers, and RPG kids) and (for the book nerd part) I'm much more literate than the average bear (!). Sorry about that bear thing.

Oh, and about the poll, I really would have danced a jig if you asked me that, for that's what I do all the time. I must be the happiest Lost person ever.

Edit: Woah! Didn't realize this thread was a year old.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I'm this year a combination of a Preppie, a Cardgamer, a console RPG gamer, an otaku (yet another category which could stand to be in your list), and a book nerd. And I'm a buddhist.

Next year I plan to become a band nerd.

B

Bob

Ugh. Preppies...the archenemies (along with the popular oppressors) of the freaks...

You should seriously reconsider yourself, TICM...

Bob,
Demi-Gothic Geekish Flucker