Membership drive

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Have to say that I always read KJ's tourney reports and I found them to be entertaining and they were on the front page.
Remember that editors (Mods) are there to ensure the content meets standards and expectations. If an article needs reworked, send it back to the writer with suggestions to make it better and a better fit for this site. There isn't a site out there that doesn't maintain editorial control.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have done that several times :) In fact, I did it with Rakarth's article most recently.

KJ's stuff isn't really tourney; at least, those large MP games. But I do get a kick out of reading them too.

R

Rakarth

That's a good point, I forgot to resubmit that. Would anyone mind if I sent it to them for a proof read? I'm not really a writer but I felt like sharing what happened at a draft I entered but I have a bad habit of rambling and going off at tangents, even when I can re-read what i've put down I still do it, so if anyone would be willing?

Rakarth

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sure, PM me anything you want. I did get a degree in Journalism....
I'll make suggestions for changes and you decide what you like.

Killer Joe

I don't know why I don't write anymore, maybe I'll get the 'itch' again, soon.

When I do write I like to focus in on the interaction of the players and not much on 'technique' per se. I like to paint pictures of how the players conduct their behavior during the game, this is very amusing to me because people are just awesome no matter what their play-style is. I just like watching them for sole purpose of seeing their reactions, how they handle situations, and all the 'human' stuff we all have to offer. I, of course, do take a little liberty with some facts and try to make them more amusing like the player I always refer to as *"Yo!" Adrian*, he is my classic antagonist in my reports because of what I percieve as his Shoulder-Shrug Strategy (you know, "Oh well, I'll play this card and see how it goes."). He's actually a much better player than that but that's a little too boring, I like him the way I describe him.

The title I choose for my reports "The Road to Tourneyland" was my very warped notion of what it'd be like to be amoungst the greats of Magic like Finkle, Price, Long and the likes (yes, yes, old names, I know). Knowing full well I would never get there and yes, knowing a place like that doesn't really exsist except in the figments of my imagination. But it was never really about getting there but about the stories along the way like all of the games of Magic I played. I am always learning new things but not really on how to play Magic better but how people approach and play Magic themselves. It's very interesting and amusing to me. Playing in real life I get that sense and I like it so maybe that's why I don't play MTGO anymore or play here on the boards. I love people in person! Always have.

I'm going to pledge to myself to post the April MML game here if for no other reason than to make myself happy. :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman said:
I did get a degree in Journalism....
Good god, man! You have a degree in journalism? Why don't you write anything for the front page? It's not like you have Spidey's "I'm just not a writer" excuse.

Rakarth:
I'm also willing to look over any articles you'd like to submit. I don't have a degree in journalism, but I have submitted 50+ articles here (Mooseman = 1), so I'm familiar with adding links or pictures and other things that will make an article look more professional. I'm also moderately familiar with the English language, so I could likely correct any of the more egregious grammatical errors. And sometimes it's just good to get another pair of eyes looking at anything you write, just to see how things sound and ensure that others can follow the flow of your writing. PM or email me if you're interested or if you have any submission questions in general.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's not like you have Spidey's "I'm just not a writer" excuse.
It's not an excuse. I just despise writing.

I majored in computer science in college and part of the reason was that I didn't have to write papers. I went to a liberal arts school and as soon as I finished my "core" requirements of English, History, etc., I was done with those subjects.

I'm glad other people like to write though.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
Good god, man! You have a degree in journalism? Why don't you write anything for the front page? It's not like you have Spidey's "I'm just not a writer" excuse..
I haven't written in 12 years, I'm a data analyst for crying out loud. But, I was always more of an editor type.

See Spidey, you have lots of people who are willing to help with articles, use us.....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind reading and editing the articles. The stuff is already written at that point. And I'm certainly not swamped with articles yet - obviously, you can see the huge gap between updates from a couple weeks ago to before that.

But if it DOES get heavy, I'll call in the reinforcements if I need to :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! :D

How the Vintage scene? You still playing? What did you think about the recent restrictions?

M

mythosx

How did the membership drive go? I recently googled magic decks, magic the gathering, etc. And the CPA did not even show up. Is there any way we can alter the site so that the key words Magic the Gathering show up in a google search?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
We could get the front page articles get mentioned on mtgsalvation's radar. It would require someone to program a RSS-feed for the frontpage.

B

Budget Player Cadet

Well, it may not help much, but I have you guys on the MTGDarkness affiliates page...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
mythosx said:
How did the membership drive go?
I don't think anything came of it, as it seemed the majority of people here don't go to other magic sites.

Ed would have to do the RSS-feed programming, but honestly, we don't get a steady stream of articles for the front page. I'm not sure if it's worth it or not, but I guess we can always try.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
There seems to be an article every week. That is a pretty impressive stream of articles for a site that doesn't pay it's writers. At least I think it's worthwhile, if only because it gives those articles some deserved attention.
I found that if you want to be added to the Radar, you need to contact Hannes (mtgsalvation's owner). Perhaps he can also help with setting up the necessary script.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if it's just one article a week, I guess that's okay. It's really only started recently though (like the month of June or maybe late May) - before then, there wasn't anything since February or March.

But yeah, any coding changes still have to go through Ed - he's the only one with access to the pages.