Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Thank you, dwarf. I thought I could count on you to be reasonable. Now, I've been here a long time. My lord Tzeentch has plans for what you call the "Wildwood" and these plans span many centuries. So I look out for things. There's no love lost between me and the leaders of the wood elves. So you're free to lose this war if you insist, but now it happens that the invaders have disrupted my plans. So it seems that we have a mutual enemy: a priest of Nurgle named Utronicus. He has been sneaking into my territory and stealing my things. He locked me out of my own stronghold. And he attempted to poison the water supply at the Temple of Asuryan, which you thwarted. So I propose a deal. Use those artefacts of Nurgle you're carrying to break the seal on that door over there, then kill Utronicus and bring me his head. In exchange, I'll provide you with safe passage through the rest of the Pine Crags, and faster than the way you've been trying to go. Tell you what, I'm feeling generous. I'll also grant Throg access to all of my Chaos shrines, including this one. Sounds like a pretty good deal for you: get to your destination faster and eliminate an enemy who would try to infect you with horrid diseases."

turgy22

Nothing Special
"Of course I'm willing to offer my services for the glory of Tzeentch. The mission sounds difficult, so I'll probably need to make use of this shrine in advance."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
If Throg trusts him I'm willing to go on a little faith, though I'd expect a bit more loot out of risking our necks here, since we don't seem to be having all that much trouble here in the Pine Crags that we might need "safe passage". Of course, getting hooked up with a more direct route to our objective couldn't hurt...

"Anything more you can tell us about this Utronicus? It would be helpful to know what we'd be up against..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"In advance? Well, I suppose that if it helps you kill Utronicus, fine. Go right ahead. As for what you're up against, I can't be entirely sure. He has Chaos magic and he has some daemonic servants. No Greater Daemons or I'd know about it. I'm not going to lie: my Plan B is that if he kills the lot of you, he'll inevitably retrieve the Icons of Nurgle from Throg's corpse and attempt to reseal his barrier against me, which would give me an opening to flood the place with fire magic while his barrier is at its weakest. I'd prefer for Plan A to work, so do not hesitate to hit Utronicus with everything you've got. He's devious and also quite disgusting. But he's really going to want those Icons back, so he'll be there throwing daemons at you. Really, those Icons are the perfect bait.

Oh, and I guess you've been doing this a while, but maybe you want even more weapons. Here are some swords just lying around..."

Bysshan offers the following swords to the party (despite their grim appearance, none of these have the [Chaos artefect] tag, so Throg cannot use them)...

-Fell Blade: +1D6 damage. 2x damage. When this weapon hits, roll a D6. On a 1, the wielder takes the damage instead of the target. Worth 1,500 gold.
-Chaos Demon Sword: Ignores normal armor. For each point of damage that this weapon would inflict, roll a D3. On a 2, that point of damage counts as 2 points instead. On a 3, that point of damage counts as 3 points instead. On a 1, the wielder takes that point of damage with no modifiers. Worth 1,250 gold.
-Soul Blade: Each time this sword successfully wounds a target, it reduces the victim's Toughness by 1. At 0 Toughness, the target dies. Worth 450 gold.
-Chaos Runeblade: +1D6 damage. Ignores normal armor. Worth 400 gold.
-Magic Sword: Counts as a magic weapon. Worth 25 gold.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath looks over the weapons but doesn't find any to his liking. He waits for the rest of the party to choose.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Throg makes his offering. (50 gold in this case, but the actual requirement is 2D6x10 gold, in case I haven't already said that somewhere)

The warping forces of Chaos surge through the Warrior's veins, and he staggers drunkenly around the temple. When he comes to his senses, he realizes that he has been...

...changed!

Throg gains 2 Chaos attributes...

Mindless: At the start of each turn, roll a D6. On a score of anything but 1, the Chaos Warrior is fine. On a 1, he becomes mindless for the rest of the turn. While mindless, the Chaos Warrior's intellect is reduced to zero and he becomes a babbling idiot. His Weapon Skill and Attacks are reduced to 1. He cannot use ranged weapons. At the end of the turn, he returns to normal.

Arcane Knowledge: All manner of arcane knowledge fills the Chaos Warrior's head, secrets revealed to him that mortals should never know. Whenever the Power Phase roll is 6, the Chaos Warrior is affected. Roll a D6. On a 1-2, the Chaos Warrior drops to his knees, overwhelmed by a whirlwind of knowledge within his mind. While in this state, attacks against him are at +2 to hit. At the end of the turn, he returns to normal. On a 3-6, the Chaos Warrior gains 1D6 Initiative for the turn. He draws a spell card, which he may cast at any point during the turn.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ty will take the Fell Blade if no one else wants it, though he will continue using the Blade of Leaping Bronze as his 2nd weapon for now.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oops! I will get to this later today. So Ty takes the Fell Blade and Carrow takes the Soul Blade. If no one else wants to claim one, I'll just arbitrarily assign Tomas the Chaos Demon Sword and Revaethan the other two...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Haven't been home much this week. But let's get this moving anyway without my notes!

You proceed through the door into the lower level of a pit. As the last of the party arrives, a portcullis slams shut behind you and grotesque, croaking laughter echoes from above. Plaguebearers, twisted servants of Nurgle, sidle down the walls of the pit.

-The Power Phase is 6.
-Ty is confused as the crowding in the pit brings up memories of his pit-fighting days. He loses all of his actions for the rest of the turn.
-Throg becomes mindless. His Weapon Skill and Attacks are reduced to 1 for the rest of the turn.
-Throg's Arcane Knowledge grants him +2 Initiative and one free use of the Rebound spell. (Choose any Warrior. Each time the target is attacked this turn, roll a D6. On a 6, all Wounds that the attack inflicted are rebounded onto whoever caused them. This does not rebound spells.)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You'd think Ty would feel right at home fighting in a pit, but nooooo.....

Ty will join into the combat as soon as he comes to his senses, looking first to protect the casters.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It occurred to me that Rokapoke is still indisposed and Melkor doesn't chime in much anyway, so I'm not really waiting on anyone. Moving along with a few characters on autopilot...

-Jekaena casts Glittering Robe, shielding herself for 3 Wounds.
-Jekaena casts Glittering Robe, shielding herself for 4 Wounds.
-Throg casts Rebound on himself.
-Throg fails to hypnotize anything.
-Tomas casts Freeze! for 6 damage on 6 of the plaguebearers.
-Tomas casts Ogre Strength on Revaethan (+2 Strength this turn).
-Kelgar blesses himself and Carrow with Vanquish (+1 Attacks this turn).
-The plaguebearers move with eerie speed, but before they can make it down the walls of the pit, Carrow looses arrows into them. His first target drops lifelessly in front of him.
-Carrow finishes off another plaguebearer with a perfect shot through the heart.
-Revaethan uses his Woven Wind technique to trade his normal movement and attacks for 6 combined Move + Attacks this turn.
-Revaethan slashes at a plaguebearer, but the agile daemon lunges past his swing.
-Revaethan falls on his butt. He bounces back up right away.
-Revaethan cuts a plaguebearer's head (8 damage). The daemon screams, but does not fall.
-Revaethan stumbles.
-Revaethan impales his foe, finally stopping it in its tracks.
-Revaethan's deathblow eliminates the plaguebearer that is dropping onto Kelgar.
-Revaethan runs out of enemies that he can reach.
-A plaguebearer hops toward a stationary, babbling Throg, but somehow misses the Chaos warrior entirely.
-Scrambling to its feet, the plaguebearer strikes Throg...
-Rebound redirects the blow back at the plaguebearer (4 damage).
-A plaguebearer hops at Dorgath, but the dwarf sees it coming and moves aside.
-A plaguebearer bashes at Dorgath's head, but his armor absorbs the attack.
-A plaguebearer jumps onto Tomas (15/19 Wounds).
-A plaguebearer claws at Tomas (12/19 Wounds).
-A plaguebearer lands on Ty (13/15 Wounds).
-A plaguebearer swipes at Ty (12/15 Wounds).
-Throg (mindlessly) hacks at the nearest daemon and manages to actually take a chunk out of it (2 damage).
-Throg tries to bite a plaguebearer, which might sound like a bad idea, in his mindless state he can't concentrate enough to catch the monster.
-Throg swipes around futilely with his razor claws.
-Dorgath retaliates against the daemon that is attacking his helmet, but fails to connect.
-Dorgath swings and misses.
-Dorgath kicks a plaguebearer to death.
-Dorgath obliterates the plaguebearer that is attacking Tomas with a single gauntlet-punch. Just destroys it, really. 18 damage, if you were wondering.
-Dorgath turns and attempts a similar punch on the plaguebearer fighting Throg, but in his enthusiasm he overbalances.
-Dorgath's last gauntlet attack finishes off that plaguebearer. That leaves one daemon still attacking poor, confused Tyresius.

Next turn...

-The Power Phase is 6.
-Throg's Arcane Knowledge grants him a free use of the Lightning Bolt spell this turn. Also, he has recovered from his Mindless state and is back to being however mindful he normally might be.