Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In one universe, Ty opens the backpack and the booby trap inside triggers an explosion, killing everyone in the party except Throg. In another, Ty raises the flap on the backpack to reveal a bizarre magic lock with a large slot in the shape of an axe-head; the party looks at the lock, looks at Throg's axe, and everyone sees that they match, while Throg whimpers, "No, no, no." There's also a universe in which Ty discovers that the backpack contains the fabled Hammer of Sigmar. In yet another of these parallel realities, the backpack slides out of Ty's grasp and unfolds into an arcane portal, leading into the realm of the enigmatic sorceress Lady Gaverzandendel: most of you perish, but those who survive obtain great power. And of course, there's a universe in which Ty finds that the backpack is empty. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, there's one where the backpack is full of these little triangular pyramid things. Very important, but that isn't this one either.

In our world, Ty opens the backpack to discover the following...

-10 loaves of Elf Waybread.
-1 Healing Potion (restores 1D6 Wounds).
-2 Glowstones (can be used as a light source, but will eventually extinguish).
-35 gold.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I was actually more concerned with what a snotling might choose to carry around with it, and how potentially disgusting the contents might be, but w/e...:rolleyes:

"Looks like this might have once belonged to a member of your clan, Jekaena. Do either of you recognize it?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"No, but judging from the contents, I'd guess that it was packed in a hurry when someone was fleeing from the goblin invaders. I doubt that the original owner is still alive."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we'll divvy up the Waybread and gold somewhat equally, Ty will take a Glowstone, and the offer the other and the potion to the group. Then we'll "hurry a bit" and continue on...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Anyone can eat waybread. I think most of the party is already carrying some, which was purchased at an encampment on the journey to Loren. Waybread functions like normal rations except it doesn't spoil quite as easily.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Bump to remind me we are done here. Kept thinking I was still waiting on Rokapoke. Putting Tomas on autopilot for the time being. He shall return to normal whenever Rokapoke shirks his real-life responsibilities.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The path forward leads to a steep, ominous bluff.

Jekaena: "What? This isn't right. I mean, it was right before. Where the snotlings attacked us just a moment ago. I mean, I recognized it. But I don't now. I mean, it's different..."

A mysterious figure in the darkness ahead gestures, beckoning you onward.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"Off the cliff?" :eek:

Ty looks for something to probe with, or sticks or rocks or something to throw on ahead and make sure there's something for us to stand on while we follow the dark figure...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
*The bluff is steep, but not very tall, and although you cannot see the figure in the shadows below well enough to tell for sure that it is standing on solid ground, there is also no indication that it is floating or anything like that. The whole party could walk down the bluff easily enough and most members could double back and ascend without trouble. Dorgath's heavier armor and shorter legs might slow him down, but he could still make it back up unassisted. Jekaena might need help if she were trying to get back up.*

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
The path forward leads to a steep, ominous bluff.
*The bluff is steep, but not very tall, and although you cannot see the figure in the shadows below well enough to tell for sure that it is standing on solid ground, there is also no indication that it is floating or anything like that. The whole party could walk down the bluff easily enough and most members could double back and ascend without trouble. Dorgath's heavier armor and shorter legs might slow him down, but he could still make it back up unassisted. Jekaena might need help if she were trying to get back up.*
These 2 statements seem contradictory to me...:)

Since the bluff doesn't seem nearly as intimidating as it first appeared Ty will follow Dorgath's lead and will alertly follow the figure into it's trap...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hm, not really seeing a contradiction myself, but maybe "ominous" is getting interpreted as "big" or something like that. Should have been more clear. I used it more to mean that it seems like there's an established trail along the forest floor and then it suddenly terminates in a sharp descent into a densely wooded area that doesn't offer much visibility. Other than the opening through which you can spot the shadowy figure, the area beneath the bluff is obscured in a copse, which I should probably have just stated from the start. Weird and spooky, but not an insurmountable obstacle. But Dorgath seems to be driving the party onward anyway, so...

You pass into a dark, coppiced thicket and find that as the path progresses, the forest meets with a small structure built of stone brickwork. Eerie flames flicker and dance in the darkness along the edges, and the man who beckoned you in stands in front of an altar, clad in a worn, red robe. This is a well-hidden Chaos shrine.

"I am Bysshan, Priest of Tzeentch. I've been expecting you."

Revaethan draws his swords.

Bysshan: "Hold on a minute. Let's talk. I believe that we can help each other out..."

Revaethan: "We can't trust him! I say we fight."

Bysshan: "Bad idea, wardancer. You wouldn't win and you would never find that which you seek."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, from the initial description of the bluff, it sounded like the path just ended, so that's probably why TomB thought the figure was floating in the air ahead of us

"Much as I detest the foul stink of Chaos also, let's hear him out."