Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oversoul, can you tell us/are we allowed to know if quests can get closed off by doing other quests? The OCD in me would obviously like to try to do all of the quests at some point, but if some will be unavailable in the future because we did other quests, that may help in deciding which ones to do. And of course, "I can't tell you" is an acceptable answer also :)
I've been out of town all week, but I'll finally get to this question...

For now, I have no plans to "close" any of the available quests. Eventually, I do want some choice, but it would be more like where you choose between rivals and can't do a quest if you side with their enemies. Like, if you find yourselves in a warzone with people from both sides offering you quests, it's safe to assume that completing quests for one faction in the war might make quests for the other faction inaccessible, especially if the quests have to do with the war effort. In principle it does make sense that quests would expire, but I don't really like the idea, so I have no plans to implement expiration. But because that might mean the party could change in some way before getting to a certain quest, the details of the quests might be modified by the order in which you complete them. I was going to say that hasn't come up yet, but then I remembered that way back in the beginning, I had a plan where if you guys skipped the Maneater quest, the village would be destroyed when you passed through again. I'm a bit more willing to add some urgency to quests if they're on the spot, rather than requiring some sort of ridiculous journey time management realism nonsense. If you see a dude get dragged into a cave by monsters, he's probably not going to still be there if you decide to leave and come back weeks later. But if you read about how the duke of some far-away land is offering a reward for someone who can retrieve his stolen family heirloom, I'd just assume that you have all the time in the world...

As for the other question, Loren is pretty much a straight shot south from here and you don't yet know just where the Beacons are, but you know the mountains and the area is more southeasterly than Loren.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
So, part of my request of you is a simple one. I'd just need both Carrow and the book to be present for the ritual to restore or replace the Heart of Welhallas. You wouldn't need to actually do anything in that regard, just stand around while our people take care of the rest. Of course, there are complications. Welhallas was, last I heard, cut off. We'd need to find a way to actually reach the Heart. I don't know if doing so is possible. But since the fate of my people may depend on it, I must try."
I took this to mean at least Lord Cael would be coming with, but I DID wonder just how large a traveling party we'd be having...:)

"Sounds like a plan my good dwarf...Count me in!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Oversoul. I guess I was kinda concerned that some of these quests are time-sensitive, so for instance going on the Welhallas quest would take "so long" that it would be too late to do the Beacon quest, that kind of thing.

I guess I missed/didn't remember that, TomB, after all this time :) We've never really traveled/adventured with a large bunch of NPCs so I don't know how it would all work.

Assuming the rest of the party assents, we return back to Lord Cael and tell him we'll travel to/find a way to Welhallas to be present for the ritual.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess so - maybe Oversoul was waiting for explicit agreements from everyone, but I'm guessing by this time, everyone implicitly agrees...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Onward to fulfill my destiny.. er, well the burden that has been placed upon me and it shouldn't be underground

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Having discussed the matter amongst yourselves for long enough, you return to Lord Cael with your decision.

"I appreciate it. Hopefully we'll all make it out of this alive. It will take at least a few days for Revaethan to gather his people and prepare the expedition. Until he's ready, I'd advise you to make your own preparations here in Middenheim. Most of Loren doesn't offer such an abundance and diversity of supplies, so buy what you think you'll need for a long and perilous journey."

Ordinarily, visiting shops and special locations in settlements is done on a per-day basis. Because I had this campaign on hiatus, I'm going to be vague and a bit generous with the timing. Anyone can buy whatever would be available without needing to take up time slots for days, and I'll allow reasonable numbers of visits to special locations too. You'll all get private messages at some point with lists of what you can buy from the stores and how much it costs, as well as options for special location visits. I'll also roll some settlement events, but not as many as you'd get if the hiatus hadn't happened (that's good for you, as settlement events tend more toward bad things happening). I don't have the private messages ready yet, and they won't be sent tomorrow either, but I'm not scheduled to work this weekend and I do have all of my notes again, so it shouldn't be too much longer. They'll totally be sent out in a few days probably. Definitely. I mean, it's a strong possibility...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
First round of private messages sent out. These are all of the normal items that you guys can buy. Note that some of this inventory is pretty useless to you right now. Mostly, everyone already has weapons that are as good as or better than what's here. This should cover buying items for everyone. There's still the matter of selling. Some of you may have stuff you'd rather get rid of for gold.

Notably, I forgot to level Kelgar up. Fixed that. He's a lot more powerful now. I did nerf the extra healing that I inexplicably gave him after the first quest, and the new blessing he learned is a dud, but his other blessings became stronger. With Melkor absent for part of this, his character hasn't been spending gold, so he has a lot.

Tyresius is short on funds at the moment. He's hoping to leave the city soon and wait for a bit of a scandal to blow over before returning. If he's going to be purchasing any items, he'll have to make arrangements with his companions to borrow some gold...

There are also special locations that you can visit. I'll send out another round of private messages detailing those, as they vary from person to person...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Second round of private messages sent out. Some of you have more locations available than others, but everyone gets five visits. You don't have to use them all if you don't want to, but if you're idle for a day, it means rolling on the settlement even table...

Tomas and Skullcrusher part ways with the rest of the party. Corticruss can find other things for them to do, and they know where you're headed, so if they choose to catch up later, perhaps you'll see them again...

Let me know what you want to buy, what you want to sell, and which locations you'll be visiting before setting out. Also, if anyone wants to trade items or anything, let me know. The character sheets (including Kelgar's) should be up to date now

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance I can get a loan guys? For 345 gold I can buy gear that will up my attacks per round by 2 and every so often score extra damage when I hit someone...:)

Er, and am I gonna need provisions? A horse? :eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath eyes Tyresius. "I guess so. Might as well make you useful if you're coming with us..." I take it you just joined because you don't have any gold, right? It's been so long...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I just joined and I still owe the Pit Master 5000 gold, I guess for training or whatever...I think they did that to slow the class down and keep them from being too OP too quickly...;)

"If you each lend me 175 gold I'll pay you each 200 gold back when we get paid enough to cover it...sound fair?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Fair enough". Dorgath gives Tyresius the gold before wandering off to do his own shopping and visits.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys...This should be fun!

On a related note, you guys should stop by the Fighting School so we can get a little sparring in before we go out and do it for real...;)