Warhammer Quest: Death Below Karak Azgal

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Well, no, not these where we're standing. I'm talking more the unspoiled stone of the World's End Mountains, where man has yet to tread."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You begin moving through the sewers. Almost immediately, you hear a familiar voice. Turning the corner, you see Corticruss. He is cornered by four thugs, brandishing weapons. Two of them are human, one is a dark elf, and the last is an ogre. They brandish weapons. One of the human thugs snarls...

"Last chance. Where is it?"

Corticruss points in your direction and addresses the thugs...

"You're too late. My friends have arrived. Now you're outnumbered!"

The thugs don't react at first, then they realize that it's not a trick. They gawk at you momentarily, then raise their weapons. Corticruss lifts a scroll above his head, then releases it...

"Oops. I think that one's some kind of cataclysm. Oh no."

The scroll darts through the air into the thugs, then explodes, engulfing them in flames. When the smoke clears, you see Corticruss sifting through the ashes, grinning.

"I think that's all of them. At least for now. Thanks for your assistance. Here, I've scavenged a few trinkets from ones like these..."

-Throg receives the Blood Sword.
-Dorgath receives the Axe of Slaying.
-Kelgar receives the Hammer of Spite.
-Carrow receives the Surefire Bow.
-Skullcrusher receives the Warningstone of Asuryan.

B

BigBlue

Amazed at the demonstration, Skullcrusher just sort of stares at the mage. "That was an awesome display! Thank you for the completely unnecessary gift. As promised, here is your friend Carrow and crew."

turgy22

Nothing Special
Throg tries to remember who Corticuss is. Was he the homeless guy that tried to kill us by summoning legions of undead? Or is that someone else.

Throg will then look up what a Blood Stone does in his Warhammer Quest guidebook.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Throg will then look up what a Blood Stone does in his Warhammer Quest guidebook.
If you actually find the book or a PDF of it, I don't know that it's in there. But I made a copy/paste error anyway, so good catch, apparently! I was going off one of the treasure cards: Blood Sword. I just went back and fixed it.

I'll just update everyone's character sheets and post them all soon anyway. I'll assume Corticruss identifies any unidentified items...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry, guys. I was working on something else and I was planning to move this along today, but I lost track of the time. Pretty soon, I get to beta test The Elder Scrolls Online over the weekend. So I'm delaying this further still. Yes, I'm horrible. I will return on Monday, and I'll post a big update with everyone's character sheets and information regarding the party's arrival in Middenheim. You'll all get to level-up, by the way. Just not yet. Monday. I promise!

Oh, and I apologize in advance if this holds up the Wizard's Tower game too, but it looks like that probably won't happen...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. You just had your turn in Wizard's Tower so I'll just assume you don't have any responses to anything; if you can think of something you want to do, let me know.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Corticruss leads the party out of the sewers and through Middenheim, a massive fortress-city. He brings you to a back room in one of the shops of the city's Merchant District, gives you bread and soup for dinner, and instructs you to wait for him to conclude some business. A while later, he returns and addresses the group...

"Well, firstly, the three merchants you rescued from Karak Azgal wanted to reward you. They seemed to be in a hurry to leave. I think Throg scared them for some reason. Anyway, here you go..."

-Throg gets his Warhelm back.
-Throg gets his Lantern back.
-Throg gets 700 gold.
-Dorgath gets 700 gold.
-Carrow gets 700 gold.
-Kelgar gets 700 gold.
-Skullcrusher gets 700 gold.

"Now then, there's also the matter of your items..."

The character sheets were here, but I exceeded the 10,000 character limit. Out of curiosity, am I the only CPA member to run into that limit? I've encountered it multiple times, and no one else has explicitly brought it up. I'm starting to feel like I might be just a bit too loquacious. Anyway, character sheets to follow...

"This shop can buy any of your items that you wish to sell. Middenheim offers a wide selection of services. You can purchase new equipment, or perhaps some of you would like to visit the local training camp. When we're done here, spend the next few weeks doing whatever it is that you do. I'll find more information about what's going on and see what jobs might be available for you. The authorities here are interested in the presence of Chaos Gates in the tunnels underneath their city. You probably have more knowledge of the subject than almost anyone else in Middenheim, so that might be of some interest to them. We'll probably want to keep Skullcrusher and Throg out of sight for that, though. They might raise suspicions. I'll think of something.

I'm also looking into the matter of this enchanted book Carrow found, and the subsequent nuisance of a bounty on his head. There are some wood elves, a little north of the Merchant District, that want him to go on some holy mission of some sort. I'll also see about informing Ironbeard Grunnson that you're in Middenheim. I believe you've completed his task. He might also want his grandfather's old warhammer back, if you do happen to see him again some time.

Tomorrow, we'll probably all be in different parts of the city. So, while we're here, what else should we discuss?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Name: Throg G'Nflor
Wounds: 19
Move: 4
Weapon Skill: 4
Ballistic Skill: 5+
Strength: 3
Toughness: 3(6)
Initiative: 3
Attacks: 1
Damage: 1D6
Pinning: 5+
Luck: 0
Willpower: 2
Gold: 6,864

Items:

Sword of Defiance: +3 Toughness when wielded. Worth 600 gold.

Axe of Mighty Striking (Chaos artefact): Once per adventure, this weapon will cause 8D6 damage. Toughness and armour may be deducted as normal. The Chaos Warrior must state he is going to make this special attack before he rolls to hit. If he misses, the attack is wasted. At other times the axe causes normal damage (1D6+3), though it does still count as being magical. Worth 0 gold (Chaos artefact).

Lantern: Light source. Worth 0 gold.

Bladed Boots: Allow for a single kick attack per turn at -1 to hit and +1 Strength. Worth 200 gold.

Light Armour: +2 Toughness. Worth 350 gold.

Light Helm: +2 Toughness

Helmet of Farseeing: +1 Toughness. The wearer can see and move in the dark. Worth 800 gold.

Warhelm: +2 Toughness.

Amulet of Charadris: Undead monsters adjacent to the wearer regenerate at half their normal rate (rounded down). Worth 300 gold.

Lifestone of Ashraz: As long as the bearer is above 0 Wounds, this heals 1D3 Wounds at the beginning of each turn. Worth 1,500 gold.

Chalice of Night (Chaos artefact): Roll a D6 at the start of each adventure. This is the number of Attacks that will hit automatically this adventure. The

Chaos Warrior may choose which attacks hit automatically. Worth 0 gold (Chaos artefact).

Frostblade: The wielder may only make one attack per turn while wielding this sword, if the Frost Blade successfully causes 1 Wound then the target is instantly slain, recharges once per adventure, worth 750 gold.

Dawnstone: Can be used to resurrect someone once. Worth 500 gold.

Poison: Enough for three uses on weapons. Deals 1D6+2 Wounds.

Grunnson Full Healing Potion: Full restoration. Permanently adds +1 Starting Wounds. One use. Worth 0 gold.

Berserker Sword: +1 to Berserk ability roll (Barbarian only). Worth 250 gold.

Lyre: Worth more gold in larger settlements.

Skabnoze's Book: Mostly illegible. Worth 0 gold.

Fireball Scroll: Casts Fireball. Magic-using characters only. Worth 20 gold.

Key to Secret door in Karak Azgal. Worth 0 gold.

Candle: Light source for 2D6 turns. Worth 0 gold.

Tinderbox. Worth 1 gold.

Bone Blade: Once per adventure the wielder may trade in all his normal attacks and use this sword to make a single attack that causes normal damage + (1D6 x Battle-level) extra damage. Sell value: 400 gold.

Alberto Laranscheld's Book: Evil, evil, evil.

Sword of Might: +1 Strength. Worth 150 gold.

Bane Sword (Orcs): Double damage against orcs. Worth 500 gold.

Blessed Sword: Only misses on a to-hit roll of 1 or 2. Worth 300 gold.

Blood Sword: During each turn in which the Blood Sword is drawn, roll a D6 for each character adjacent to the wielder. On a score of 6, the sword lashes out of its own volition, striking the target. Worth 600 gold.

Provisions: 0

Special abilities:

Mark of Chaos: Emblazoned on the Chaos Warrior's flesh, it allows him to re-roll one outcome per adventure (it may be used outside adventures as well if it was not used in the previous adventure).

Poisonous Bite: Once per turn, the Chaos Warrior may make a special bite attack, in addition to his normal attacks. The bite attack is at -1 to hit, and causes 2 Wounds, with no modifiers.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Name: Dorgath Rockhammer
Wounds: 15
Toughness: 4(8)
Initiative: 2
Damage: 1D6 (+1)
Pinning: 5+
Willpower: 4
Gold: 5,596

Items:

Elf-Biter, Axe of Grom: Ignores armor. Damage done after accounting for defensive modifiers is doubled. Worth 2000 gold.

Great Axe of Smiting: On a natural to-hit roll of 5 or 6, the hit does an additional 1D6 damage. Cannot be sold.
-Rune of Smashing (DGR): Ignores 1 point of armor when determining damage.

Chain Armour: +1 toughness. Worth 50 gold.

Boots of Battle: Allow for a single kick attack per turn at -1 to hit and +1 Strength. Enchanted to fit the wearer perfectly. Worth 200 gold.

Enchanted Shield: +3 Armor. May not be wielded by any Warrior wearing any armor other than a helmet unless that Warrior is Level 4 or higher. Worth 800 gold.

Rope: Breaks under stress on a roll of 1 or 2. Worth 5 gold.

Dwarven Tankard: No dwarf would part with it. Cannot be sold.

Amulet of Vindication: Magic Resistance 6+. Worth 500 gold.

Talisman of Obsidian: Magic Drain 4+ (on adjacent spellcasters). Restores 1D6 Wounds if successful. Worth 500 gold.

Helm of the Dragonslayer: +1 Toughness. Nullfies breath weapon attacks against the wearer. Worth 500 gold.

Old Helmet: +1 Toughness. Worth 25 gold.

Lifestone of Ashraz: As long as the bearer is above 0 Wounds, this heals 1D3 Wounds at the beginning of each turn. Worth 1,500 gold.

Lucky Talisman: Once per adventure, can make an attack automatically hit. Worth 150 gold.

Crossbow of Swiftness: As many shots per turn as the wielder has attacks. Worth 750 gold.

Skull Wand of Kaloth: Can be wielded as a sword. If a hit monster fails an initiative test at 7, the monster dies instantly. 6/6 charges. Worth 300 gold per charge.

Runestone of Destruction: Can be added to a metal weapon. Once per adventure, wielder gains double attacks. Worth 400 gold.

Lock Tools: Can attempt to open a non-magical lock. Roll a D6. On a 4+ the lock opens. On a 2 or 3 the lock does not open. On a 1 the lock tools break. 2 sets of lock tools remaining.

Firebomb: Can be thrown and affects a 2x2 square area, dealing 1D6 damage to anything in the area with no modifiers for toughness or armor. 2 bombs remaining.

Stonebread: If a dwarf does nothing else for the turn, except stay where he is and eat stonebread, he regains 1D6 Wounds. 12 loaves remaining.

Ungrun Grunnson's Warhammer: +1 damage per hit. +1D6 damage if to-hit roll is a natural 6. Worth 150 gold.

Incense of Araby: Worth 50 gold.

Nightmantle Shell Orb: Expended. Worth 0 gold.

Ingots of Iron: Three iron pieces worth 150 gold each. Two pieces worth 30 gold each.

Sword of Might: +1 Strength. Worth 150 gold.

Sword of Defiance: +3 toughness when wielded. Worth 600 gold.

Boots of Battle: Allow for a single kick attack per turn at -1 to hit and +1 Strength. Enchanted to fit the wearer perfectly. Worth 200 gold.

Energy Jewel: One-use item with 1D6 power for casting spells. Worth 200 gold.

Tambourine: Worth more gold in larger settlements.

Charm of Learning: Decreases cost of level-up training by 300 gold.

Relic Blade: +1 to hit. Worth 400 gold.

Crude Karak Azgal map. Worthless.

Bandages: 4

Provisions: 5

Healing potion: Restores 1D6 Wounds. 2 remaining.

Grunnson Full Healing Potion: Full restoration. Permanently adds +1 Starting Wounds. One use. Worth 0 gold.

Blessed Sword: Only misses on a to-hit roll of 2 or lower. Worth 300 gold.

Amulet of Fury: Contains a single use of the Invulnerability spell. Disintegrates after use. Worth 200 gold.

Gems of Life: You guys still haven't decided what to do with these.

Master Rune of Groth One-Eye (bonds to a weapon, the wielder and all nearby warriors get +3 to fear and terror tests). Worth 500 gold.

Pink sapphire: Worth 800 gold.

Bugman's XXXXXX: 4 doses, each dose heals 1D6 Wounds, inflicts -3 to hit for 1D3 turns, worth 50 gold per dose.

Axe of Slaying: Automatically hits its target. Instead of dealing normal damage, this axe deals 1D6 D6 + Strength. Can be used for one turn per adventure. Worth 500 gold.

Special abilities:

Great axe attack: When using an axe, the Dwarf rolls an extra D6 for damage, discarding the lowest. If he rolls doubles, he may add the rolls together and use the total as his damage roll.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Name: Kelgar
Wounds: 14
Weapon Skill: 2
Toughness: 3(4)
Initiative: 2
Pinning: 4+
Willpower: 3
Gold: 9,050

Items:

Warhammer: (1D6 + Strength damage, an additional 1D6 if to-hit roll is a natural 6). Worth 100 gold.

Ornate Armor: +1 toughness. Cannot be sold.

Holy Book of Sigmar: Used to cast blessings. Cannot be sold.

Ring of Jade: This ring is reputed to contain a fragment of the Grand Theogonst's Jade Griffon, and to hold the power of healing within it. Whether this is true or not the magic of the ring seems to work. At the end of each turn, if the Priest is not on zero Wounds or dead, then the ring has a chance of healing him and any Warriors who are standing in adjacent squares. The Priest should roll 3D6. If he scores a double, he may heal a number of Wounds equal to the total of the doubles rolled. So for example. if he scores a double 4, then he may heal 8 Wounds. If he rolls three numbers the same, it still counts as a double. The Wounds are shared out between the Warrior Priest and any Warriors in adjacent squares to him as the Priest sees fit, with the limitation that all the points of healing from a single dice must be spent on a single Warrior. The Priest should nominate who he is going to heal before he rolls the dice. The Priest could take all the Wounds himself, give them all to another Warrior, or share them out between two Warriors, for instance. The Priest gets 5 gold for every Wound he heals on another Warrior (this is not deducted from the other Warrior's gold, but is a measure of the Priest's healing efforts). If the Priest rolls a double 1, then the ring is drained for that turn and works in reverse to revitalise itself. Each Warrior nominated for healing suffers 2 Wounds, with no deductions at all. The Priest may use the Ring of Jade once per turn. Cannot be sold.

Ring of Command: Currently +1 Strength if to-hit roll is 6. Bonus changes with level. Cannot be sold.

Invisibility Spell Scroll: Casts Invisibility. One use. Worth 200 gold.

Lute: Worth more gold in larger settlements.

Healing potion: Restores 1D6 Wounds. 2 remaining.

Provisions: 0

Bandages: 0

Hammer of Spite: At the start of each encounter, the wielder may choose a monster for the hammer to target. The wielder may move past all obstacles to reach an available space adjacent to the chosen monster. The wielder gets an initial ambush against the chosen monster, and an additional attack against the monster every turn until it is dead. If the Hammer of Spite strikes the killing blow on its target, the wielder gains double gold. Worth 600 gold.

Special abilities: Each turn, the Warrior Priest may attempt to cast one blessing on himself or another Warrior. He rolls 1D6 and adds this to the power phase roll for the turn. If this is equal to or higher than the power required for the blessing (which is 7 for all of the initial blessings in the Holy Book), the blessing succeeds. If the Warrior Priest's blessing roll is a 1, the attempt automatically fails. The Priest begins with these blessings already written in his Holy Book...

Scourge of Chaos: As the Priest reads aloud the words from his leather-bound tome, the Warriors feel their swords strike their foes with unprecedented accuracy and precision. The chosen Warrior's Attacks for the turn are all at +1 to hit as his hand is guided by the power of Sigmar. Call of the Brave: The Warriors' blows miraculously hit their targets despite the Monsters' best efforts to avoid them. The chosen Warrior may re-roll a single Attack which misses this turn.

Vanquish: The power of Sigmar surges through the Warriors, who redouble their attacks upon the enemy. The chosen Warrior gains an extra Attack this turn.

Healing Touch: Healing power infuses the the Priest and he imparts the effects of this power with a single touch. The chosen Warrior is healed of 2D6 Wounds.

Attempting a blessing does not stop the Warrior Priest from carrying out any other actions, such as moving and fighting.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Name: Carrow Darkweald
Wounds: 14
Move: 4(5)
Ballistic Skill: 4+
Initiative: 6
Pinning: Auto
Gold: 7,305

Items:

Sword of Hoeth: When using, roll 1D6. On a 1, the Warrior trips and falls over and loses all attacks for the turn. On a 5 or 6, he gains double attacks. Worth 750 gold.

Elf Shield: Deflects the first blow that would otherwise strike the wielder each turn unless the to-hit roll is a natural 6. Worth 500 gold.

Eltharion's Bow: +1 to hit (Strength 3 bow). Worth 500 gold.

Elf Helm: +1 Toughness (against all blows). If a blow strikes the head, roll 1D6. On a 1, the helm is destroyed, on a 2-4 the blow is resolved as normal, and on a 5-6 the blow is deflected and does no damage. Worth 750 gold.

Hip Quiver: 0/30 arrows. Cannot be sold.
Shoulder Quiver: 7/30 arrows. Cannot be sold.

Invisibility Ring: One turn per adventure can turn invisible, still able to fight, cannot be pinned, cannot be attacked or the target of spells. Worth 175 gold.

Boots of Swiftness: +1 Movement. Worth 200 gold.

Full Healing Potion: Full restoration. One use. Worth 0 gold.

Bow: 1D6 + 3 damage. Worth 20 gold.

Sword (1D6 + Strength). Worth 15 gold.

Provisions: 1

Potion of Strength: +1 Strength for 1 turn (roll a D6, if 6, the bonus applies for the rest of the adventure).

Flute: worth more gold in larger settlements.

Horn of Shielding: Can be blown once per adventure to give the entire party a shield that deflects all hits against them that do not score a natural 6 to hit for one turn. Worth 500 gold.

Blade of Couronne: Undead monsters adjacent to the wielder lose 1 Wound at the end of each turn, which cannot be regenerated. Worth 300 gold.

Bane Sword (Goblins): Does double damage to goblins. Worth 500 gold.

Dawnstone: Can be used to resurrect someone once. Worth 500 gold.

Surefire Bow: +2 to hit (Strength 4 bow). Worth 900 gold.

Special abilities:

Dodge. Whenever an attack would hit the Elf, he attempts to dodge it, rolling 1D6. If he rolls 6, he successfully dodges the attack and takes no damage.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Name: Skullcrusher
Wounds: 11
Move: 6
Ballistic Skill: 3+
Strength: 4
Initiative: 5
Pinning: Auto
Gold: 3,860

Items:

Warpstone Talisman: Any attack against the wearer that rolls a natural 1 to hit rebounds, damaging the attacker. Cannot be sold.

Weeping Blade: Ignores 1 point of armor. If the blade causes any Wounds, the target takes an additional 1D6 Wounds with no modifiers. Worth 700 gold.

Cloak of Warding: +1 Armor. Worth 200 gold.

Lightning Fire Ring: Once per adventure, does 5D6 damage with no modifiers to a single target in the wearer's line of sight.

Bottle of acid: Enough to potentially destroy a single lock. Worth 50 gold.

Potion of Fortitude: Lasts for one adventure. Negates fear and terror. Worth 100 gold.

Skalm: On a D6 roll of 1, deals 1D6 damage. On a roll of 2-6, fully restores all Wounds. 5 potions remaining.

Warningstone of Asuryan: When enemies ambush, roll a D6. On a score of 6, the ambush fails.

Boots of Dark Wind: +1 Attacks when throwing weapons.

Skavenblade: Ignores 1 point of armor. 1D6 damage (daggers don't add Strength to damage). If the blade causes any Wounds, the target takes the same damage again at the end of the turn, with no modifiers. Worth 300 gold.

Throwing Stars: Strength 1 throwing weapon, thrown at -1 Ballistic Skill. Ignores armor. Can throw one star per attack. Bag contains 50 stars.

Special abilities:

Ambush: At the start of each encounter, on a D6 roll of 5+, the Gutter Runner may ambush enemies, taking an extra turn at the beginning of combat.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, and since I just can't pass up the opportunity to septuple post, you guys should figure out what to do with the Gems of Life already. A reminder on how they work: one person carries one, another person carries the other. When one of the gem-holders dies, the gems can be reunited, consuming them and resurrecting the fallen gem-holder.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How many Gems do we have? enough for everyone to pair up?

If none of the party wants my items (although it seems a spell-caster would want the energy jewel), I'd like to sell
  • Old Helmet
  • Incense of Araby
  • Nightmantle Shell Orb (it says 0 gold 'cause expended, maybe someone wants it as an ingredient to something, like grind it up or whatever?)
  • Ingots of Iron
  • Sword of Might
  • Sword of Defiance
  • One set of Battle Boots
  • Relic Blade
  • Blessed Sword
  • Pink Sapphire

I'd then like to get some quarrels for my Crossbow and see if there's any Dwarven smith in town who might be able to forge my Runes. Also a Dwarven Trader in general to get more Firebombs and Smoke Bombs :)

I thought we gave the Runehammer back - since we didn't, find a way to get it back to him.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sell (or give to party members)

• Bow: 1D6 + 3 damage. Worth 20 gold.
  • Eltharion's Bow: +1 to hit (Strength 3 bow). Worth 500 gold.
  • Sword (1D6 + Strength). Worth 15 gold.
  • Bane Sword (Goblins): Does double damage to goblins. Worth 500 gold.
I'll need to fillup on arrows and provisions.
Maybe find a dagger, a backpack, some rope, candles, flit and steel.
I'd sell or trade my other weapons/equipment if Ifind anything better.

If there are enough gems them split them up if not give them to the frontline fighters.

Do we have a spellcaster amongst us? (not priest spells)

turgy22

Nothing Special
The character sheets were here, but I exceeded the 10,000 character limit. Out of curiosity, am I the only CPA member to run into that limit? I've encountered it multiple times, and no one else has explicitly brought it up. I'm starting to feel like I might be just a bit too loquacious.
I think I've brought it up before. It happens every time I post a new draft pool for the sports league.