Tribal Tournament Discussion

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Updated the tribal administration thread with most of a replacement for that thread's front page (first post, whatever). Head on over and see if there are any changes you'd like to see on that. As for getting a new game going finally, I'll begin building a deck soon. New quarter of school started this week, and I have four 400-level chemistry classes. Hoping to graduate in June and not die or whatever. I should be able to finish a deck over the weekend.

Any more thoughts on a name though? I seriously haven't seen any good ideas on this front so far. We have to come up with something!

Tribal Wars Restricted? Tribal Lowlander? CPA Wars?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We're using the "new" rules that were hammered out in this thread and I thought Oversoul re-posted them in the thread that I linked to (remember, not the first post, but whatever he lists in Post #91).

You know, I'm just going to split that thread now to avoid confusion.

EDIT: Okay, I split thread. Use this link instead.

C

CanadianBrad

okay, so we're using the rules you guys have used before, right? CanadianBrad, is that right?
They are rules that we have come up with, but definitely they have not been play-tested to this point. So what are we going with, 8 April as a starting date?

turgy22

Nothing Special
So what are we going with, 8 April as a starting date?
Hahahahaha! Ah... you're so new.

By the way, I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at us. The game will start when someone (probably Spiderman) creates a thread and, after randomly determining the order, the first player responds, most likely by playing a land.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
By the way, I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at us. The game will start when someone (probably Spiderman) creates a thread and, after randomly determining the order, the first player responds, most likely by playing a land.
Don't forget the part where someone inevitably says, "Oops, I forgot to build a deck for this. I'll be ready in a few more days probably." Or something to that effect. I seem to remember that one time we even ended up waiting almost a year for someone, but the details escape my recollection at the moment. Does that sound familiar, Turgy?

C

CanadianBrad

Hahahahaha! Ah... you're so new.

Don't forget the part where someone inevitably says, "Oops, I forgot to build a deck for this. I'll be ready in a few more days probably." Or something to that effect. I seem to remember that one time we even ended up waiting almost a year for someone, but the details escape my recollection at the moment. Does that sound familiar, Turgy?
That's all well and good in my book. I'd just like to watch, so to speak, a game or two progress, so that I can get the feel of how you guys play over a forum, before I dive in and try it. I can't quite wrap my head around the way you'd play an Interrupt(because the last time I played MTG to any degree, an Interrupt was actually a thing; I know they aren't anymore) in the midst of someone else's turn, and a few other things I'd like to see played out, so I don't look like a total dumbass when I try and match up against someone.

C

CanadianBrad

Also, as I'm assuming we're playing with the 40-life totals I understand to be the norm in EDH, I'd like to suggest a house-rule amendment to modify set-life totals for cards like Sorin Markov(his -3 ability), Serra Ascendant, Felidar Sovereign, Test of Endurance, and any others anyone can think of(some of these, notably Test of Endurance, may already appear on the banned list; I haven't looked thoroughly). I just feel like if we're starting with 40 life, if you slap down Felidar Sovereign(which would win you the game), that screws up game balance. Why WotC hasn't written more of these cards to reflect total life differences in games like EDH and Two-Headed Giant, I'll never know, but I think that the spirit in which they are played needs to be reflected(like Chalice of Life, they got that one right for any format). Sorin's -3 should "reduce opponents to 1/2 of original life total", Serra Ascendant should activate at "+10 starting life", Felidar Sovereign should "win when starting life is doubled", and Test of Endurance should be "win when starting life is doubled +10". I'm sure there are others, but these cards immediately jump to mind. Alternately, I think we should just start out with 20 life as per the norm. I'm not sure why there is the difference in EDH(I assume flavour on the Commander's part, and to lengthen interactive game sessions in a casual format), and being new to the format, how it affects game balance.

I simply point it out because in the 5ish running lists I have for Human Tribal decks, Serra Ascendant has appeared a couple of times(I've played and had success with life-gain decks, and so I'm inclined to stick to what I know - besides, Human flyers are kind of a pain in the ass to come up with).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Also, as I'm assuming we're playing with the 40-life totals I understand to be the norm in EDH
This isn't EDH. There won't be any commanders. Just regular free-for-all multiplayer rules, but with the deckbuilding restrictions outlined in the thread Spiderman linked to.

turgy22

Nothing Special
CanadianBrad: I need to apologize for my laughter. I didn't realize that you hadn't come up with the April 8th start date idea. If I had known that it was suggested by Spiderman, I would have laughed twice as long. Allow me to fix this...
Yep, I'm in. Should we set a start date? How about next Monday 4/8?
Hahahahahahahahahaha! Sure, I'm in for 4/8. What year?

Killer Joe

wait! we are going to play a tribal MULTIPLAYER game? I thought we were playing a series of duels? Also, I was under the impression that we weren't to build wicked turn one killer decks, just fun casual ones. 40 life points to start? Nah, 20 life is good for this format.
lastly, are we to submit our deck lists?
I am playing BEARS, btw.

turgy22

Nothing Special
The tribal games here have traditionally been multiplayer free-for-alls. I was under the impression we would be carrying on that tradition with modified rules.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Are we still retiring the tribes as they are played? That would be tough if we were playing duels.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
A few times, before this was revived and now more recently, we've had the idea brought up of retiring tribes after they're played, but rotating them back in over time. So you wouldn't be able to play the same deck every game, but if you want to revisit a tribe you played several games ago, or if you want a chance at playing a tribe someone else already got before you had a chance, then that's still possible. But because of the length of time between the last game and now, Spidey and I both thought (and I think no one else spoke up about it) that it'd probably be best just to re-open all tribes for the moment. It would especially make sense in light of new deckbuilding rules. There were still plenty of tribes left that no one had touched and that could conceivably form decks here, but we might as well give the other tribes a shot as well. I do like the idea of a rotation schedule, assuming we keep on playing tribal games, but I haven't tried to come up with one yet.

If we do decide to do a rotation schedule for tribe availability, what kind of timeline would people like to see? My first inclination is to let tribes rotate back in after they've been unavailable for three games, so tribes played in our next game, Game 15, would be disallowed for Games 16, 17, and 18. Then for Game 19, the tribes used in Game 15 would be rotated back into the pool of available tribes, and so on. But of course I haven't tested this and I have no idea if others would like it.

The duel thing is an option. It would presumably be done in a tournament format, and maybe that's what people thought of with the title "Tribal Tournament Discussion." But yeah, so far the plan is just for multiplayer.