Tribal Tournament Discussion

Killer Joe

The tribal commander should at least be one part of the tribe so if your tribe is elves your commander could be an elf - wizard?

2. CanadianBrad: Just so you know, KillerJoe's name isn't actually Joe. It's Mark. From now on, you should only refer to him as YellowJacket so as to avoid any confusion.
:confused:!? Yellow Jacket! LOL, haven't been that since before the color change here at the CPA!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I like the idea od all non creatures cards being one-offs. But you should be ableot have 4 of any one creatures that is tribal.

C

CanadianBrad

I like the idea od all non creatures cards being one-offs. But you should be ableot have 4 of any one creatures that is tribal.
So, because I'm hungover and my brain is running 2 speeds slower than normal, you're suggesting that creature type cards should be allowed in multiples(up to 4), but other card types should be limited to one? I don't see any problem with that. Anyone else?

turgy22

Nothing Special
:confused:!? Yellow Jacket! LOL, haven't been that since before the color change here at the CPA!
There was a color change here? (Don't answer that; I'm kidding.) I actually joined after the colors changed, but there have been enough people that stop by after 15 years of inactivity and inevitably ask if "YellowJacket" is still around.
I guess I wasn't clear earlier. That was actually what I was suggesting. Any tribal creature can have four copies. All other cards are limited to one. Also, I wasn't actually thinking of having a dedicated commander. I think that might limit some good options, based on my understanding of Commander rules (must be Legendary, all cards in the deck must be the same color(s) as the commander.) I guess I was really suggesting more of a tribal / highlander hybrid format.

Since Mistform Ultimus, Lorwyn came out with the "changeling" mechanic, which seems very similar. Mistform Ultimus has never been retroactively given "changeling" even though the wording in his text box is very similar to the wording for the changeling mechanic. Rule 702.70 indicates that even outside the game, these cards are considered to be every creature type, which would seem to indicate that they could be used to fill tribal requirements, just as was done in our games with Mistform Ultimus. Perhaps someone with Magic Online experience can verify that this is true in Magic Online's tribal formats...
I just checked this out and it's legal. I built a deck with 10 elves and 10 changeling shapeshifters and started a Tribal Wars game and it was allowed. And just to be sure, I then started a game with a random deck and it gave me an error that I couldn't use the deck in that format because it didn't have 1/3 creatures of the same type. So, as far as MTGO is concerned, changelings count as every creature type.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I just checked this out and it's legal. I built a deck with 10 elves and 10 changeling shapeshifters and started a Tribal Wars game and it was allowed. And just to be sure, I then started a game with a random deck and it gave me an error that I couldn't use the deck in that format because it didn't have 1/3 creatures of the same type. So, as far as MTGO is concerned, changelings count as every creature type.
So this would make every creature type, including the ones with zero printed cards, legal as tribes. Amusing, but not particularly problematic. A Brushwagg deck is going to be a huge disadvantage against, say, a bird deck.

I guess I wasn't clear earlier. That was actually what I was suggesting. Any tribal creature can have four copies. All other cards are limited to one. Also, I wasn't actually thinking of having a dedicated commander. I think that might limit some good options, based on my understanding of Commander rules (must be Legendary, all cards in the deck must be the same color(s) as the commander.) I guess I was really suggesting more of a tribal / highlander hybrid format.
I thought about this for a few seconds and actually, I like this more. Tribal Commander could be interesting, but it would severely limit the number of viable tribes. They'd not only need a legendary creature, they'd also need to fit in creatures of the appropriate colors for the commander. Obviously not a problem for largely monocolored tribes (merfolk) or for tribes with good variegated legendaries (slivers), but for most tribes, it'd be a crippling deckbuilding constraint. If we make it tribal, but stipulate that all cards other than basic lands and creatures of the chosen tribe are restricted, we've effectively forced the game to be even more about tribes.

I'd still advise a banned list on top of the "everything but creatures of your tribe are restricted" rule, as otherwise Ancestral Recall and the like would be available.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'd still advise a banned list on top of the "everything but creatures of your tribe are restricted" rule, as otherwise Ancestral Recall and the like would be available.
Yes, I'm in favor of such, as well. I meant for the restrictions I presented as an addition to the tribal / legacy banned list mentioned earlier in this post.

C

CanadianBrad

I thought about this for a few seconds and actually, I like this more. Tribal Commander could be interesting, but it would severely limit the number of viable tribes. They'd not only need a legendary creature, they'd also need to fit in creatures of the appropriate colors for the commander. Obviously not a problem for largely monocolored tribes (merfolk) or for tribes with good variegated legendaries (slivers), but for most tribes, it'd be a crippling deckbuilding constraint. If we make it tribal, but stipulate that all cards other than basic lands and creatures of the chosen tribe are restricted, we've effectively forced the game to be even more about tribes.

So tell me if I'm following you here. Under the current concept, a deck could be 60+ cards, with a legendary tribe Commander, 1/3 tribal creatures(allowing an original and up to 3 copies of the same creature), and a limitation on all other cards(including non-tribal creatures and excluding basic lands) to no more than 1 of any in the deck. All of this, plus whatever we work out as a "banned completely" list.

If I got all of that right, I like the way this looks so far.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So tell me if I'm following you here. Under the current concept, a deck could be 60+ cards, with a legendary tribe Commander, 1/3 tribal creatures(allowing an original and up to 3 copies of the same creature), and a limitation on all other cards(including non-tribal creatures and excluding basic lands) to no more than 1 of any in the deck. All of this, plus whatever we work out as a "banned completely" list.

If I got all of that right, I like the way this looks so far.
One key difference: no Commander. That makes all tribes eligible, not just those containing a legendary creature. It also removes the fancy interactions with commanders that are so format-defining. This is basically just another version of tribal. It's even pretty similar to the tribal highlander special game we did after five or so tribal games. But the highlander aspect wouldn't affect the tribe, just the other cards. The banned list would probably be the union of the Legacy banned list and the Tribal Wars Legacy banned list (see Post #5 of this thread).

I like Turgy's proposal because it's very simple and lets players build decks generally with the cards they want to, but because everything is restricted, the non-tribe parts of the deck aren't likely to be too broken. The tribe part of the deck, being exempt from restrictions, still functions the way we've been used to. I think the decks we'd see with this format would be along the lines of what people here would want to play.

C

CanadianBrad

So:

EDH-Tribal

- 60 card minimum, no Commander(or related colour restrictions)
- 1/3 Tribal creatures, up to 4 of each type
- All other cards, outside of the tribe, are restricted to 1
- Combined Legacy/Tribal Wars Legacy banned list(see Post #5 and the Legacy banned list here)

For those wondering why I keep listing this, it's mostly so I can keep it straight in my own head, but also to serve as a quick summary for any aside from Killer Joe, Mooseman, Oversoul, Spiderman, Turgy, and myself, who may not be reading through the entire thread and want a quick way to figure out what's going on. Someone else may pick up on it and jump in with some fresh ideas(I don't know how many other semi-regular visitors are around).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, that'd cover the deckbuilding rules. I mean, we wouldn't want to call it EDH, since that's just the original name for Commander. More like Highlander Tribal. Well, not quite, because the creatures in the tribe wouldn't be restricted. Maybe Quasi-Highlander Tribal.

turgy22

Nothing Special
We should call it "Tri-Lander". Wait, no. No, that's a terrible idea. It sounds like a format using three lands.
We should call it "Tribe-uno". Wait, no. No, that's a horrible idea. It's sounds like a variation of Uno.
We should call it "Tribadism". Wait, no. No, that's an awful idea. I just looked it up and apparently that means something else entirely.
Tribe-and-a-Half Men. Trouble with Tribals. Tribal Revival. Tribrid Theory. Singletrib.

R

rokapoke

Anybody else think it would be interesting to see a tribal game where everybody played the same "power" tribe (e.g., elves, goblins, zombies)? It would be interesting to see what different builds would be done.

C

CanadianBrad

I think "Tribal Highlander" is a pretty solid way to go. There can only be one, save for cases reserved by the tribe rules.

Anybody else think it would be interesting to see a tribal game where everybody played the same "power" tribe (e.g., elves, goblins, zombies)? It would be interesting to see what different builds would be done.
So that becomes the next question. Have we decided that goblins, elves, and zombies(and any others, potentially?) are off the table completely, or are we just restricting certain cards, or what's the story? Perhaps we need a list of "approved" tribes or something? It just seems to me that playing Tribal and eliminating three of the most significant tribes going is odd(although I could see the potential for nasty decks), even though I personally have very little interest in playing any of those tribes. And are we restricting tribes to specific players(i.e. Spiderman is building a white/green Human deck, and so no one else can play Humans, or have to play Humans of a different colour combination), or is it handled just as a free-for-all?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Have we decided that goblins, elves, and zombies(and any others, potentially?) are off the table completely, or are we just restricting certain cards, or what's the story?
Goblins, elves, and zombies were off the table for previous tribal games here, with the exception of the highlander tribal game we played. The distinction is that for that game, which was probably bound to be something of a one-off, was strictly highlander, with no duplicates of any cards, not even the tribal creatures. Under a strict highlander approach, although many tribes would be viable, a whole lot of otherwise viable tribes would be completely eliminated. With modified highlander rules, the creature availability remains the same, but the potential to apply powerful interactions using cards that aren't involved in the tribe is, literally, restricted.

But it's a good question. Do we retain the moratorium on goblins, elves, and zombies? I say it's an obvious "yes" if we go with the regular tribal rules, and we seemed to think it was fine to lift that for the highlander tribal game. What about partial highlander tribal? Bah, I don't like calling it partial tribal highlander. Until Turgy can come up with a better name, I'm just going to refer to this as "Turgy's Attempt To Acquire Tribadistic Action" (TATATA), which is even worse than any of the other names so far. Is restricting all cards other than creatures in one's tribe a sufficient condition to level the playing field for less prominent tribes going up against the big three?

Perhaps we need a list of "approved" tribes or something?
Why? One of the cool things about this was seeing what crazy stuff people came up with. Kithkin won one of the games and I'd never even heard of Kithkin at the time.

It just seems to me that playing Tribal and eliminating three of the most significant tribes going is odd (although I could see the potential for nasty decks), even though I personally have very little interest in playing any of those tribes.
It's a power-level thing. I don't remember what the discussion was when the rule was originally put in place, and actually, it was done before some other tribes (faeries, for example) got huge boosts with the printing of later sets. Also, the "can't play tribes that have already been used" rule didn't come until later. People would have been able to just keep playing goblins, elves, or zombies over and over, and one of those three would likely win every game. Banning the three tribes that were far more powerful than the others was a way to encourage diversity.

And are we restricting tribes to specific players(i.e. Spiderman is building a white/green Human deck, and so no one else can play Humans, or have to play Humans of a different colour combination), or is it handled just as a free-for-all?
We had different people happen to pick the same tribe at least once, when two of us both picked wizards. So I guess free-for-all?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm glad to see that you guys did all of the work over the weekend so I justhave to say "yea" or "nay" :D

No, seriously, the rules as CanadianBrad lists them above sound fine to me. The "1-of" takes care of most of my concerns as that's basically a built-in "restriction" and so combos seem to be less likely a problem.

As for tribes, as it appears that people are wanting to play the "triumvirate", I'd say it's fine to see what decks they come up with. And then like before, they're "retired" for x time so other tribes get a chance to be played.

C

CanadianBrad

Looks like there's a group ready to play. I have Mooseman, Killer Joe, Oversoul(you've contributed so much, I assume you're in), Spiderman(same deal), Turgy(same deal), and myself. That's six. Are there any other parties that should be alerted?

I've written up a deck according to the rules, so everyone can have a look at my take on Tribal, and to give an idea of how "terribly" competitive I am. I'm gonna grab a bite to eat, but I'll stick it up here sometime tonight for the sake of discussion.