D&D: Horror on the Hill - Falling Down a Trapdoor

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Normal attire despite the highly abnormal behavior. The first course of action should be investigate the direction from which they arrived. Since they did not come from the same place we did, this indicates another entrance to the area we presently occupy..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, let me clarify, since it seems you're inferring more from what a simple "search their bodies" action found. Their armor is as raggedy as their looks - torn, grimy, a few holes here and there, and it's really covering their legs, leaving most of their chest free... their swords are unpolished and dirty (although still serviceable!), their hair is wild and spiky/crazy/dirty, they're unshaven, they smell like they haven't washed for days or months... I hope you get the idea :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In that case, scratch the words: they wouldn't make any sense in that context. But the intent is still there. Those guys were somewhere else before they showed up for their ill-fated assault. I aim to find out more.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Si'Nat opens the door to the right of the one that the attackers came through and sees a passageway stretching ahead of him, about 10' wide and high, for at least as long as the torchlight allows (30').

T

train

"Well - just in case - I want to open the rest of the doors as well... If nothing else, this will prevent anyone from entering this same room and following us just by seeing the open/closed door... and we can make sure there's no other surprises..."

(Will open the other doors one by one...)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Neither! Nice try, Spidey. I'm not falling for the old, "open the doors clockwise or counterclockwise" trick. We'll first open the ones ortho to the one that's already open, then the one door that's para, then finally the two doors that are meta to the original door...

No wait, that's silly. So is opening all of the doors. We could just close the already open one behind us and not give away that the people who arrived in this room through the slide really like opening doors and killed the two maniacs in this room before opening all of the doors and then exploring, probably down the very door that the maniacs emerged from. On the other hand, that sounds like a lot of fun. For that matter, so does my configuration...

Alright then, the first door we'll open will be the door directly counterclockwise from the open door. Then the door directly clockwise from the originally open door. Next, we open the door that is opposite the original door. After that, there will be two doors still closed, and we'll first open the one that is two doors clockwise from the original door, and lastly proceed to the door that is two doors counterclockwise from the original door. That should throw off any clockwise/counterclockwise demons looking to trap us with their evil magics.

Of course, we'll probably be attacked by something before all six doors are open, but that's all part of the fun. Oh, and Cugel will check the doors for traps too.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, doors tend to shut on their own in these dungeons, unless they've been spiked open. It hasn't been an issue before, so I haven't said it before :) So all doors are shut at this point (unless someone is holding open the door Si'Nat wanted to look through and hasn't said)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In that case, opening all of the doors is even sillier than I had previously though. How about we just check out the path through the door the maniacs came from and if it goes on for a while without being interesting (or stops at a dead end) we can just head back and try the other five doors later?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I take it from the lack of input from others that that's the course of action :)

You guys will have to map this area.

You open the door and follow a passage that heads straight for about 60' and then curves left for about 20' when you come to an intersection. A passage continues straight but slightly curves to the left. A passage is at your left and curves slightly to the left. And there's a cave to your right.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"Aye...it REEKS down there lads - cover yer noses lest ye begins to start t' retchin!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a large cave, maybe 10' out straight in front of you and 25'-30' going left-right. What's more important however, is that there are three large and furry humanoids that you recognize as bugbears who were sitting on the floor of the cave. Upon seeing you though, they jump up and roar and rush to attack. Fortunately, you're not surprised.

Round 1: Party has initiative.

D

DarthFerret

"With these beasties livin here, there is a good chance there is a way out..."

Start the melee, mace a swingin