D&D: Horror on the Hill - Falling Down a Trapdoor

D

DarthFerret

Well, looks as if our next course has been decided for us...so..which door do we look to first?

T

train

Si'Nat

"I say we go North... or West... the door closest North or West..."

Kudos to the level-earners - now we just need to get you all to town to get some goodies...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"A bit shaken, I'm afraid. But it seems that none of us is dying—yet. We have arrived in an hexagonal chamber. Most odd..."

To the rest of the group...

"Well, this is—unexpected, no? It does not appear to be a deathtrap. Or perhaps it is and this is some sinister game where we choose the manner of our death by selecting a door to open. How droll that would be. We are here to explore anyway, and this is a sort of opportunity...

But I would hate to leave our companions alone. They are only two, and if more monsters arrive and find them, then they would be vulnerable. On the other hand, if they come down here with us, it may be even more difficult to get back up, should that be necessary. A conundrum..."

*Cugel will try to examine the slide that led them down here and see how practical it might be to reach it and, if that can be done, if it can be scaled.*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Kurik shouts back, "Should we come down and join you? We can't leap across to the other side - a whole 40' section dropped away. And we don't have ropes or anything to pull you up!"

Cugel examines the slide and sees that it's very curvy and very smooth-sided - climbing up would be impossible.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"I think that would be best, Kurik. Hold on though. This does not look so bad, but unless you are in immediate danger, I want a bit more information before consigning all of us to this section of the place.

Oh, and Gareth, might you happen to have any idea about this? It all seems pretty strange to me. If the hobgoblins were using this area, how did they avoid the collapse we triggered? Is there any tripwire or anything of that nature up there that we might have missed?"

Was the momentum and the sudden drop into this room the source of damage from our fall or was it the initial collapse? If the former, we should try to find a mattress or something to brace for Kurik and Gareth. In the latter case, they might as well just come on down.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gareth shouts back, "I had no idea this was here. I wasn't let out of the smithy, let alone make it all the way to the throne room!"

The source of dmg came from the surprise of the fall and thus the characters unpreparedness down the slide.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"You might as well descend. Do be careful, though. It is rather steep. Just take it slowly. Once we are all down here, we will have to decide which door to take."

*Cugel begins examining the doors for any traps or clues as to the nature of this part of the caverns.*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
While Cugel, Kurik, and Gareth are conversing, the NE door opens and two filthy and unshaven men run wildly into the room, a maniacal expression in their eyes. They see you and immediately attack. Surprised, you yield the first round to them.

Round 1: Party is surprised.

One chooses to attack Rondo and the other attacks Patrick, but both miss.

Round 2 - Men have initiative.

Patrick is again attacked and Si'Nat becomes a target, but the men both miss again.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
*Cugel will stab the crazy dudes in their faces.*

"Like I said, be careful in your descent. There is nothing down here that we cannot handle. Just a couple of psychopaths."

D

DarthFerret

If there is room to join the melee will do so, however will hold back and just attempt to knock one or both of them unconsious instead of dead.

"Maybe we should just incapacitate them and find out what all this fuss is about?"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Rondo defends himself with his axe by attacking the man that tried to hit him...:)

T

train

Si'Nat

Will attempt to kill the one that attacked me using sword...

"Crazy or not, one of us will meet our maker, I vote you..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DF: Yes, there's room. You guys are in the center of the room which is 30' hexagonal, as I mentioned

Rondo and Si'Nat team up against the one that attacked them - Si'Nat misses but Rondo swings a mighty blow with his axe that knocks the man back and staggers him. He's almost down.

Cugel and Bertrem team up against the other one, but both miss.

Kurik and Gareth come sliding down the chute.

Wilhelm scrambles out of the way and scoots near a wall.

Round 3: Party gets initiative.

Kurik joins Rondo and Si'Nat but Kurik and Si'Nat miss (I just recently started doing this, but because Rondo is using a battle-axe, he'll always strike last in a round, even if the party won the initiative)

Gareth looks to join Cugel and DarthFerret but it's unnecessary as Cugel downs the man with one hit. Bertrem turns his attention to the other man and finishes him off.

T

train

(will watch the doors to make sure nothing else surprises us...)

possible map?...

"That wasn't cool... wonder what drove these guys insane?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cugel searches the bodies and finds they are wearing leather armor and carrying swords.

(sorry, the map tool I use don't allow for diagonals for some reason, hence the crude diagonal lines)

Attachments

T

train

(Well - there is a wooden door on each side - so I say we prep ourselves and open them all to see what is behind them...)

"Let's see what's behind here..."

(Will open the door directly to the right of the one that the guys attacking me came out of.)