Your favorite board games?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't played board games in a while and when I do, they're "kid oriented" like Nintendo Monopoly, Operation Doctor McStuffins, etc.

My favorite board games of yore are the Gamemaster series, like Fortress America. I like strategy/war games the most.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly Settlers of Catan, and stuff like Risk, but it's been tough to get the boys to wanna play tabletop games as much now that they're older...the eldest has been playing D3/Reaper a lot lately, and the younger one loves playing League of Legends on their computers instead...:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My kids sometimes play the card version of Settlers; a friend had the board game and we looked at it but it seemed too long to "learn" and set up for the small amount of time we were visiting...

turgy22

Nothing Special
the eldest has been playing D3/Reaper a lot lately
That's what my wife and I are playing right now.

I'd have to think about my favorite board game (Scrabble, maybe). The board games I've enjoyed the most (Chess, Risk, Blood Bowl), no one else in my family likes. I've been playing a lot of board games in general now that my daughter's old enough for them. Of course, they're mostly kid-oriented, but I've enjoyed playing Pictionary and Clue. I also just bought Munchkin: Treasure Hunt, which seems pretty solid. It's very similar to the Munchkin card game, but a little simpler and less adult-themed so kids can pick it up. At any rate, they're all better choices than Candyland.

R

rokapoke

I enjoy playing Carcassonne, whenever I can convince the wife to play. My 5-year-old likes playing with that game, too, which is a different kind of fun.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Blood Bowl! Last I played was back in college in the early 90s... great stuff. I keep meaning to try an online league...

KJ, I posted in General, but did you see there's a MTG board game coming out? You can give it a try and tell us how it is :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Does Dominion count as a board game? I've been trying to get into it. I guess that my favorite board game is go, but I find it very difficult and haven't committed enough time to become anything approaching skilled at it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a card game, like how Settlers of Catan has a card game version. There's no actual board, so I wouldn't call it a "board game".

Killer Joe

For me, I use the term "board game" when really I mean to say "Table top Game" that way it includes all games that are non-video that require a table to play.

Dominion is an excellent table top game!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Guillotine is a card game that is really a board game.
It's fast and there is enough to keep your interest for the 30 minutes it takes to play, easy to learn and cutting the heads of French nobles is always a fun time.
Carcassonne is a fun game to play, but can take a bit of time.
My new game is "Love Letter", it's fast and fun and a bit silly.

Killer Joe

Rose & I just played the 2 player card game version Settlers of Catan, I bought it nearly 15 years ago and never played it or at least I don't remember playing it before.
It was fun!

....she won as is the case whenever we play resource management type games.
:rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My kids discovered it a long time ago but haven't picked up on what the strategy is. My youngest in particular like to put out all of the Knights :)