Your CPA name.-Needs HELP.

R

Rando

"Cpa" is not an acronym, because it does not form a pronouncable word.

...unless you pronounce it "sipa" or "kipa".

...yeah, I'm a picky bastard.

D

DÛke

The "CPA" is a great name.

The CPA was made FOR Magic, not for anything else. Why should that change? Sure, there's a bit more free-talking now, but Magic is still in focus.

Let me put it this way:

The CPA would be lost if its main focus becomes the community rather than Magic...this might bring people that don't play Magic here, which turns the CPA into a message board that is like all others, infested with pathetic people that really have nothing better to do.

Magic should be the main focus of the CPA, and it is. "Magic" filters out "regular" people. We're ALL here because we know what Magic is and we (used to) play it. We wouldn't know each other without Magic...

...we don't need people in here that knows US without Magic.

I like "CPA".
I like the new format.
I like the current logo.

S

Salacious Crumb

:D, "a bit more free-talking". Sure... Duke, just a BIT more.

Hoipa

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Rando: Isn't an acronym just the letters that stand for a phrase? They don't have to be pronouncable?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I was calling them wrong in my Beyond Balderdash game then. That category should have been "Initials".

G

Gizmo

Community!

Go CPC!
(hmm, it does kind of sound like something you`d rinse your toilet out with, though)

Z

Zadok001

Personally, I like our current name for two major reasons.

#1. We are, believe it or not, recognized as the Casual Player's Alliance. Mention CPA, people get confused, but mention the Casual Player's Alliance, and I see some heads pop up here and there. At least around here. The Planeshift prerelease is an experience to mention - I mentioned the Casual Player's Alliance, and got a few questions as to how I was related to it. No one from the boards, but people knew the name. Changing it would be a bit odd now, neh?

#2. I know it sounds a bit militant. Guys, we were the Sengir Army for a while! :) I mean, you can't get much more militant than THAT. The thing is, this name was a recommendation from the revered ferret. It was the best choice from 20+ suggestions which ranged from silly to seriously libelious towards WotC (J/K). The name has become a tradition of sorts for me.

HOWEVER! If the name must be changed, Association is definately the way to go, so we can keep our acronym intact. It also seems to me that "association" implies an active force, a group accomplishing a specific goal, whereas "alliance" is far more ambiguous. That's a bonus for keeping it as is, since we really don't have a goal.

What the CPA means to someone is unique to them. For me, it's a representation of the community as a whole, a gathering place. For someone else, it's a deck forum and rant magnet. :) By leaving the name "alliance," we leave it open for interpretation whether we are active or inactive.

What it comes down to is, the CPA rules.

:)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Another way of seeing this involves realizing that it doesn't matter what our name is! (I'm not trying to be like The Rock, of course. :)) If it encapsluates our ideals from the start, or if it does not, so be it. Soon after it is enstated, recognition will instantly spring to mind in conversation anywhere at the mention of the name. If we had been called the Sengir Army all this time, little less effect would have been made on Magic society. At first, when few would recognize us, we would not be given as much consideration, it is true; but that would soon pass. In fact, we could start callng ourselves anything at this exact moment, and our sway would be no less - except for one factor: Name recognition.

If we were to change our name now, we would be lost in a fog of ambiguity and obscurity for a short time. Again, it would pass, but why bear it again? It is necessary that a group endure it once; this can not be denied. However, it need not happen twice.

TeamRegime.com: While I do not insult your plan, I find that it would not be the best option available to us.

D

Duel

My mom always wanted me to be a CPA..... well, now I am.

Look, the people who worry me are the people who define Casual players as "Non-serious players". That's not the same thing. It's not even close. Not even the same ballpark.

There are serious players who are also casual players. People who can seperate trying to win from enjoying the game. And people who can blur the lines between the two.

Everyone loves to win. I do. Everyone I know does. Occasionally, I'll play to lose creatively (My "Ping the grollub" deck's goal was to gain everyone else 10 life a turn, at least.), but usually I like to win. This doesn't mean I am not a casual player.

I have a fires deck, which I play occasionally. I enjoy the deck, it's fun. This does not mean I'm not a casual player. If I ever win (Actually, qualify, even) a pro tour, it will probably be because I have practiced and plotted and planned. It will still not stop me from being a casual player.

The only people who I WOULDN'T consider casual players fall into 2 groups:
1: People who won't play if it's not for money
2: People who actually believe that the game is real, and that your river boa is taking a bite outa their leg.

Dear god, some of you people sound like pompous asses. I know I do, too, occasionally, but it amazes me how some people will take criticism and humor wrong.

And TEAM REGIME IS NOT THE JERK.

He made a perfectly nice suggestion. I disagree, but he argued his point, and didn't yell at anyone, even though some of you gave him cause.

The world needs critics. He's telling us that our name, to him, doesn't represent the site well. He's asking if anyone agrees. Don't shoot him down.

R

rakso

I think CPA is pretty good as is.

I honestly still remember when the original call to join CPA came out on the Web.

I was in high school then and honestly felt the spirit.

T

TeamRegime.com

I like these little ICONS...theyre-dare I say "Cute"...anyhoo...thanks to all the detractors and semi supporters (non athletic)...again me was not trying to stir things up or get attention..just doing my part as submitting a reasonable post about...about....oh yeah about an IDEA....

With this holiday weekend I had no time but for the family ..but I should be able to produce some logos by the end of the week..just before we leave for Lincoln Nebraskas REGIONAL...I KNOW it maybe a moot point and I said this before but I like doing repetitive things.

CPA the Name....ummm I fergot who said "Association" but I REALLY like that name bettah than ALLIANCE...and Im happy to say to my teammates and friends of Magic that Im a member of CPAssociation...although I was laughed at by more than a few doods..I took it in stride as I feel as if Im becoming a "part" of this loose and sometimes dysfunctional family. I think Its what the Italians (MOB) call "La Cosa Nostra" or "This THING WE Have"...

Laughter aside from the close friends..I like being here and I WILL take the good with the bad..I can serve it and dish it people, believe me. Now dont get me wrong, Im NOT calling people out--since this is the WEB there really is NO point in fighting...but if you SEE me and MEET me I really think you wouldnt be so quick to judge...The WEB gives everyone a sense of security (false) and that they can say whatever they want without reprucussions and responsiblity..well I think most of you know this is WRONG. Ive had a few attacks on my website...but of course they dont say who they are...if they did..the people they flamed would literally kick their respective arse up and down the gaming floor. And I'd cheer them on.

(Geez my posts are always looonnggg)...In conclusion...thanks again for the heated responses...It made me think about the name and logo...rethink that is..so thats it. Im done. GO away,..next thread please.

Nicholas Knight
www.teamregime.com