Your CPA name.-Needs HELP.

C

Chernobyl Hamster

I was about to post a suggestion for a new name here, but i just realized that i couldn't think if one!:D I guess the name is alright how it is.

T

TeamRegime.com

(These statements and answers are to- ALMINDHRAI - SPIDERMAN)- and to all who will take 2-3 minutes out of theyre life--- I go to Meridian Magic, StarCity, Newwave, NeutralGround, Sideboard, DOJO (I love the archives), MTGNews etc...I have suggested to them --in particular- BrainBurst and the now dead Magic Campus--Khen Ang (mispelled) at Magic Campus actually hired me to re-work his site- pro-bono--logos, headers etc...but before I could finish up (2 weeks) Khen went on permanent vacation as did his web site....BrainBurst (I know one of the Editors- Kashy Nemati)..and I were in talks...but that subsided.-- So your sites not the only one I made suggestions to...(the others ignore you if your NOT A NAME)---again Im a designer at heart and If I see something that doesnt look great or fit the audience Ill say something in a CONSTRUCTIVE- RESPECTABLE way....(and usually do it for free!)---It's called maturity.

To ALDMINHARi- this was a tough one to answer back to, my initial thoughts were to ignore it.--

"If you have a problem with our logo and NAME even, get out of here...You just joined, you have your own website...There really is no need for you to be here then...And stop criticizing this website every chance you get..."

My second thought was to post it on my site as an example of the negative, anti-constructive, had a bad day, can't take things light hearted, and has some issues to resolve Magic player...but that would be too easy, plus there might be some technical/copyright issues and "my" readers would say stuff and come over here and post stupid stuff defending me, then people here would do the same ..it would get u-g-l-y....

My third thought was to address every comment with witty rebuttle..which Im going to attempt to do.

First run on sentence answer- Im NOT leaving...nope. Not me. Im staying until your Editors and Webmasters 'Block" me..which would be ridicluous in the first place...plus I like Spiderman...and Im NOT doing anything morally wrong except maybe, just maybe saying stuff other people would WANT to say...

Your second run-on sentence thinghy...YES I do have my own website..just because I do your assuming I should stay there and be happy. Not leave the house, order in food, have movies delivered..not talk to people...stop playing Magic... "You Just joined"...is their a hierachy here at CPA? A staus quo? Does a person have to be here for 3-6 months before they have an opinion? Seniority the only way here? I have to post over 3000 things to be respected? Right.

"There really is no need for you to be here then"--
See Above.

"Stop criticizing this website every chance you get."

Thats really open to interpretation...you have your opinion and I mine. Look dood or doodette (I didnt bother reading your profile-sorry)..life is WAYYY to short to be like this...or waste energy on being negative. I respect your post...and see some reasoning behind it.
BUT I mainly see your just defending the CPA which is honorable...there IS a sense of community here..but some people need to relax...Im NOW a part of that community....God Bless You ALMINDHRA...and Ill pray for you tonite after work (my 2nd job)...at around 12:34 AM on my way home....Ill think of you....wink wink.

Thats it...all 6k used up on the board system.

And when Im done with the logos Ill lets the Collective KNOW...Im about 40% sure it will all be for naught..but It can always go in my portfolio...Have a Great Easter Weekend CPA!!!

Nicholas Knight

C

Chernobyl Hamster

From what i've read of posts, there isn't SUPPOsed to be a hierarchy here, but i haven't been here long enough to notice anything!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TeamRegime: Thanks, I was just curious because I don't go to other Magic sites; this one is enough for me.

YJ: Amen, brother! Say it again! Wooo! :D

C

Chernobyl Hamster

Actually, i've been to other magic sites, they all suck though. I hope THIS one doesn't fall in with the others!

H

Hawaiian mage

Aldminhari... That's a new one. ;)

I agree with Ogg and BrainGodGuy that the colors should be changed back. The site has been slowly slipping in my opinion... There used to be alot more off-topic stuff, but with the spam destroyed and the colors all proffesional... I don't know. I've just been coming back alot less now that it's 90% magic oriented rather then the useual 70%. But I guess that's just me...

Bring back the black! Bring back the black! Chant with me! Bring back the black

C

Chernobyl Hamster

I think this site should be black... white... and greyish red.

S

Sammy Dead-O

I think everything on the site should be a single color, so that you have to highlight the words to read anything.

C

Chernobyl Hamster

hmm... that would be pretty fun.:D Maybe... if we can hack into the website and change the colors...hmm... And blame it on someone...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hawaiian Mage: That's an interesting perspective. My view is that this place started to "slip" when we STARTED having the Off-Topic forum and moved away from Magic.

This place is first and foremost, a Magic site. Back in the good 'ol days we had great discussions on cards and decks and rulings. Then came TheMaster and whether wittingly or not spawned the Off-Topic forum. Now people are coming here mainly for that and the non-Magic stuff? Please... there's plenty of sites/communities/message boards that deal with that. While the evolution of the CPA has slowly turned from "90% to 70%" Magic, I do NOT want to see Magic losing its focus here. Otherwise, you might as well pack up and go home...

What was it, someone asked the question 'Who still plays Magic now' and about half the people said they didn't (including me)? That's fine, but don't try to turn the site from its "goal and mission".

R

Rando

I'm just still thrilled as all-get-out to have 3, count'em, THREE Missourians on these boards. Let's try not to run this one off to quickly.

I may have to play against him at some point.

As for the logo, I don't care one way or the other. I can't say I've ever even given it a look.

G

Gerode

The question to ask would be if you view the CPA as a site with a Magic focus or if you view the CPA as a community with Magic being the common thread keeping us together.

H

Hawaiian mage

There are alot of other sites for just general stuff, but not many of them are this active, have this many intellegent people, and have a very well built forum (kudos to Ed for that.)

Plus I all ready know everyone's name and personalities, I couldn't just leave.

D

Daggertooth

*sniff* He..called..me..intelligent. *sniff*

I feel so loved. *sniff*

I agree, This place has a real family/community feel. I've been here for a short time and I already know many personalities. It's something you don't get at other forums.

Daggertooth

F

fuzzy510

I'm kinda partial to the name. Don't ask me why.

And I know someone will ask - no, I'm not gay.

S

Salacious Crumb

I think it should remain as CPA. Except i think it should stand for Curly Poop Always.

Hoipa

I

Istanbul

Me ams a smarty-head. Me like peoples calling me smarty.

But yeah, I can't imagine leaving now. It'd be like...it'd mean...well, it'd suck.

C

Cateran Emperor

You don't have to be new to be stirring up trouble here (I still do it whenever I can get a side to argue with me ;) )

A piece of advice to TR, I'd recommend you go to the Magic/CPA Issues forum for this. It's guaranteed to get more intelligent conversation, as the people who don't have anything intelligent to say tend to stay out of there.

Now then:

Name Change: I prefer it the way it is. CPA is just a cool acronym, and we're gaining recognition from other sites remarkably frequently nowadays.

Black/Orange: Don't care. I do sort of miss the old days, but we do look more legitimate with these colors. Maybe in a few years we can change back for a short while, to show all the new members the old days, but not right now.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Which is, I suppose, a good thing. Too many newer members are reluctant to express their views, especially when they might be considered somewhat controversial. It's refreshing to hear one who's apparently not afraid to attack the very foundations of the place.

Interesting.

On the name: I've actually been thinking it needs a change too, though not in the way you suggested, and not for the same reasons. When we started out we were a rather militant bunch, who, as we saw it, sought to give a voice to all those non-pro players out there. It seemed, at that time, that WotC wasn't really considering the needs of the more "casual" players when they made their decisions concerning the game, and we felt that needed to change if Magic was to continue to prosper.

And WotC did change. They re-introduced multi-color cards, for one thing, and with 7th they've brought back many of our favorite creatures. Foils in 7th, and the opportunity to get those old-time creatures in a foil card, will make 7th much more successful sales-wise than the previous 2 sets were, IMHO.

I don't know how much we had to do with it, but if our existence helped any I'm glad.

But, as I said, things have changed, and we've changed right along with it. Most of the firebrands that once posted here have either faded away into the Internet ether, or, like me, have opted to be less militant in our opinions about the game.

No longer, in my opinion, are we an "Alliance".

We're more like a community - an association - if you will, of gamers of all kinds, and this is the place we all come to meet and exchange ideas, thoughts, and news about the games we're into.

So, what do you all think of the "Casual Players Association"?

You wouldn't even have to change the logo. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gerode: I see it as the former, a site with Magic as its focus and everything else is secondary to it. I wouldn't really mourn the loss of the forums that are non-Magic related; as I said, you can go other places for that. Heck, you can go to some of the other websites that members have put up (e-circles, anyone? :) It's going down, BTW). If Magic ever takes a back seat here, I can't blame Ed for washing his hands and totally abandoning this place (as opposed to him occasionally monitoring it right now). There just wouldn't be any point.

All: The "Alliance" part of the name DOES sound out of place now. I like TomB's suggestion (you're still around! :)) But I don't really care either way about the name or logo. Change it or keep it. <shrug>