You Can't Do That In Type II!

T

The Magic Jackal

Tangle wire anyone?
Last i checked it was pretty good in green beats.

I

Istanbul

Honestly, I'm not offended by the fact that you disagree with me, Gizmo. Hell, I'm glad of any *constructive* advice. But it sure seems like you're not only ignoring the solutions I come up with in order to say that my version sucks, but are really being insulting to the deck in general for no good reason. (River Boa isn't a serious card? Giant Growth, Blastoderm, Hurricane aren't serious cards?)

I don't mind constructive advice, but that wasn't.

Magic Jackal - Tangle Wire...hmmm. Interesting, but the problem arises, what to take out for it?

G

Gizmo

but are really being insulting to the deck in general for no good reason. (River Boa isn't a serious card? Giant Growth, Blastoderm, Hurricane aren't serious cards?)

Well I`m playing with 2 of the four cards you name, and the third is just a difference of opinion between Hurricane and Surge - I`d rather pay G3 to deal 4 damage as opposed to G4 - you lose flexibility in your x-spells but mostly are interested in killing Angels and Elementals at 4-toughness anyway so it`s a trade I`m happy to make.

The argument is more about:

Silt Crawler vs Chimeric Idol
Seal of Strength vs Wax/Wane
Horned Troll vs Elvish Champion (in a deck packed with Elves - Fires just rolls over to Forestwalk)
20 land with 4/5cc spells vs 22 land with Ports and 3cc caps on spells

I would argue my deck is better vs Wrath, better vs Fires, faster, and more versatile.

Blastoderm is a strong card, but currently doesn`t do very much in the field. You can hardly expect it to beat U/W unless you have a fast start, and without Ports you are unlikely to force it past countermagic. Fires has Boas and can mirrorblock, and Rebels have Vanguards and Sivvi-recursion. Blastoderm is no longer an auto-choice for a strong tournament field, although it makes a weaker field of red and black decks sit up and beg.

Tangle Wire is strong, but I don`t think it is very necessary as, again, it doesn`t really kill any of the main decks outright. U/W is most scared, but is also most able to answer it. It is a good card that fits the decks, but that doesn`t necessarily make it one of the 60 best cards available.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Gizmo

but are really being insulting to the deck in general for no good reason. (River Boa isn't a serious card? Giant Growth, Blastoderm, Hurricane aren't serious cards?)

Well I`m playing with 2 of the four cards you name, and the third is just a difference of opinion between Hurricane and Surge - I`d rather pay G3 to deal 4 damage as opposed to G4 - you lose flexibility in your x-spells but mostly are interested in killing Angels and Elementals at 4-toughness anyway so it`s a trade I`m happy to make.

The argument is more about:

Silt Crawler vs Chimeric Idol
Seal of Strength vs Wax/Wane
Horned Troll vs Elvish Champion (in a deck packed with Elves - Fires just rolls over to Forestwalk)
20 land with 4/5cc spells vs 22 land with Ports and 3cc caps on spells

I would argue my deck is better vs Wrath, better vs Fires, faster, and more versatile.

Blastoderm is a strong card, but currently doesn`t do very much in the field. You can hardly expect it to beat U/W unless you have a fast start, and without Ports you are unlikely to force it past countermagic. Fires has Boas and can mirrorblock, and Rebels have Vanguards and Sivvi-recursion. Blastoderm is no longer an auto-choice for a strong tournament field, although it makes a weaker field of red and black decks sit up and beg.

Tangle Wire is strong, but I don`t think it is very necessary as, again, it doesn`t really kill any of the main decks outright. U/W is most scared, but is also most able to answer it. It is a good card that fits the decks, but that doesn`t necessarily make it one of the 60 best cards available.
Killing Elementals/Angels - Between two Hurricanes and three Spidersilk Armors, if I can't block 'em...well, how would a G3 Surge get past countermagic when a G4 Hurricane wouldn't?
Chimeric Idol is indeed one of the strongest creatures (or whatever) out there right now, but isn't it anti-synergy with Wax and Giant Growth? If you don't have any mana elves in play, you don't get to grow.
I also don't run enough elves to warrant Elvish Champion. If he were an elf, I might run them, but four forestwalkers? I might as well just play Rushwood Dryad (or whatever it is, the 2/1 forestwalker in Masques).

F

Firestorm

Green has very recently become my favorite color, and I intend to make use of a card that I think is the best card for any deck if played right...

I will test a very good green deck and report back.

M

Mikeymike

How about Invigorate instead of Seal of Strength? Tranquil Grove might screw up timing issues with the Seals.
-----
Somewhere back there you were looking for a replacement for Tranquility. Some ideas:

Collective Unconsciouness: You have 29 creatures in the deck, you'll be able to draw something good. Useless after Perish or Wrath though.

Creeping Mold: Utility, the ability to kill a Chimeric Idol, Tangle Wire or a Belbe's Portal (for the Rogue Legends deck) is always nice. Land D is also useful in this very multi-colored environment.

Tangle Wire: You were looking for a possible spot for it, here you go.

Dust Bowl: Multilands are abundant, rob their mana.

Harrow: An instant deck thinning mana accelerator. Better in mono-green than it gets credit for.

*QUICK ARGUMENT AGAINST CANOPY SURGE*
You can at max do 4 points of damage to your opponent with the surge. About 50% of the time the Hurricane is going to be imitating a fireball, you need that "X" in the casting cost. Oh yeah, the surge can't kill Dragons if it needs to either.

-----

Istanbul, I know you want to stick mono-green (and I applaud that, hell green is my favortie color) but I think you're robbing yourself by not taking advantage of Multicolor cards out there.

R/G
The deck stays virtually the same except now you have access to Hull Breach, Keldon Necropolis (underrated blocking tricks), and other staples which I don't have to mention. Shivan Wurm isn't so bad either with blasty and the Titan.

W/G
Wax/Wane has been covered already, but the sneakiest move you could pull off would be a surprise Death or Glory (you'll be happy to see a Wrath of God with one of these in your hand). That instant Panther isn't half bad either.

I

Istanbul

If I need to board in the Tranquil Groves, I'm willing to limit my use of the Seals. Invigorate's ACC only really gives the creature +1/+1...not good enough.

Note that I'm looking to replace Tranquility *in the sideboard*. All the cards you listed are neat main-deck, but I want something specifically for the sideboard.

Canopy Surge will never kill a Dragon. That's another reason to play Hurricane instead.

I'm really going for mono-green...so much so that I'm thinking of replacing Blastoderm with Rushwood Elemental. This deck can support it, and a 4/4 trampler that grows each turn is niiiiice.

M

Mikeymike

How about Groundskeeper for the sideboard? Armageddon seems to be the only archetype you aren't prepped for. I wonder how Restock will fare in here, I've yet to see that card played in type 2. There was a reason Regrowth was banned, although a big part of that was that it cost 2 mana.

I was also thinking about Wild Might for anti-Idol tech. If they are tapped out to activate Yurtle they can't pay the 2.

Hmmm, Rushwood Elemental, very interesting. Trample is at a premium these days. At 5 mana I'd probably like to have more fast mana (like that land from Masques that has the 2 depletion counters on it).

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Mikeymike
How about Groundskeeper for the sideboard? Armageddon seems to be the only archetype you aren't prepped for. I wonder how Restock will fare in here, I've yet to see that card played in type 2. There was a reason Regrowth was banned, although a big part of that was that it cost 2 mana.

I was also thinking about Wild Might for anti-Idol tech. If they are tapped out to activate Yurtle they can't pay the 2.

Hmmm, Rushwood Elemental, very interesting. Trample is at a premium these days. At 5 mana I'd probably like to have more fast mana (like that land from Masques that has the 2 depletion counters on it).
Yeah, but if he Geddons, how will I activate the Groundskeeper? Better to board in Elfhame Sanctuary, in that case.
Restock is five mana, for two cards from my graveyard. I don't have any cards that I'll really need back.
Wild Might...hmmm. Tempting, but no, for the same reason as Invigorate; if I tap out for an Idol, it's no good.
The green tapland that makes 2 mana? Tempting...very tempting. I'll have to give it some consideration.

M

Mikeymike

Wild Might not for your Idols but for his/hers. How many decks are playing idols main or sideboard, 30-40%? Just an idea, would be a nice surprise though. He taps out to attack with Blastoderm and Yurtle, you Wild Might your 1 llanowar and kill the blastoderm.

Good point about the Groundskeeper, I always think it costs 2 to cast and 1 to use, I'm mistaken though.

Last question: are you going with or without land grant?

I

Istanbul

You have a valid point, but the whole point behind switching away from Seal was to allow me to play with Idols, per Gizmo's suggestion. Still...maybe I WILL try it. Worth a shot.

Groundskeeper takes 2 mana to activate.

I'm going without Land Grant...though it IS an interesting idea.

S

sole specter

hi i have to say cool
but do u have any problem with skys i dont no if it has come up but mana blue will f*ck you up if they wash out that is going to hurt i have a skys deck that 2 hcanes justwont work and what if some one dropes turn 2 tangle wire or has withdraw and or tides what then how do you deal with quake

well there some help