X2

A

Aku Necromancer

I'm still not going to like the movie just because it is dark and unforgiving. It’s a step above the first one, but I was hoping they would concentrate on characters that make a difference. The Iceman and Rouge thing hit me hard, yeh Rouge cant dance with the snake, I could care less, they are such boring characters. I would love to learn a bit more about Mystique, or Kelly Hu's Character, or more about NightCrawler.

Should I expect an action movie like this to go deep?

A

Apollo

I'm with Gizmo... when Wolvering skewered the first soldier, I must've popped a foot out of my chair--I couldn't believe it. You didn't know whether to like Magneto and root for him trying to save the mutants, or to hate the sucker for reversing things--all you knew was that the way he broke out of jail was friggin amazing. It was a great movie (especially since the last one I saw was Daredevil :p), and all the little X-men references were pretty cool. Beast made a cameo, Gambit's name showed up, etc.

The kid, btw, wasn't Blink... Blink was a girl that opened portals. I don't think the kid was an actual character. Seeing Shadowcat made my day, though. If only Jubilee had done somethin... :)

Z

Zhaneel

I definitely did a double take when Wolverine killed the first marine.

Where was Beast? I missed him.

A

Apollo

The guard was watching TV in a bar right before Mystique picked him up, and on the TV they were interviewing "Dr. Henry McCoy" (Beast pre-fur).

Other names to show up were Danielle Moonstar, Sam Guthrie (Cannonball), Jamie Madrox (Multiple Man) and Pietro Maximoff (Quicksilver).

T

Tabasco

....that Spiderman is probably a better movie.......I have not yet seen the X2 movie, but I'm sure spidey beats it.

The Matrix Reloaded looks like some more crap got reloaded, and as for a good movie I think Bruce Almighty will be Hilarious and can't wait til it hits theatres.

I like Hot Sauce!!........What would I know??

A

Aku Necromancer

Originally posted by Tabasco
....that Spiderman is probably a better movie.......I have not yet seen the X2 movie, but I'm sure spidey beats it.
Ordinarily I would have detested Spiderman, however anyone who knows Sam Raimi's directing style can over look the hokey scenes and fairly bad acting. It's his style, he does it well. Anyone who has watched any Evil Dead movies can testify to this.

Granting the movie is fun, but I think other aspects should be looked at to determine if it is good. X2 is a light year ahead of this movie in terms of action, acting, score, writing, etc.

Watch both movies before you make your decision prematurely…

Killer Joe

...as Phoenix?

I really would like to see an X-Men movie version of the storyline: "Age of Apocalypse" (Circa 1995).

T

train

Well... it'd be Phoenix, or Dark Phoenix!...

Either way - I think it opens up their chance to put the storyline into outer space...

all the Marvel characters cross-over... wouldn't be surprised if they ran into another group - ala Avengers, Alpha Flight or some other group...

I just like the way they ended the second - leaving it open for Phoenix to enter the storyline...

T

train

I thought Fantastic Four also, and I wouldn't want to see Alpha Flight as they are "inferior"... but Up in the Northeast there's not much to run into along the border except Canadiens...

Maybe Gambit will see some action - and they did spend a little time developing Jubilee - though her portion in the museum was cut from the theater version, and can be seen in the deleted scenes DVD...

Kitty Pride was also playing more of a role - as of course did Nightstalker... but they were developing characters decently - and the more there are - the bigger the battles can be...:D

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually, I'm hoping Hellboy will turn out to be the best. Not that Hellboy's a supe or anything.

C

chunkymonky1053

Dr. Shaw, which could be Sebastion Shaw, the hellfire club leader is talking to Hank.
The list of all names on stryker's computer is...

Guthrie, Paige (Husk) Guthrie, Samuel (Cannonball) Harada, Keniucho (known as The Silver Samurai) LeBeau, Remy (Gambit) Lensherr, Eric (Magneto) Kane, Garrison (Weapon X) Maddicks, Artie (Artie) Madrox, Jamie (Multiple Man) Mahn, Xi'an Coy (Karma) Maximoff (2) (Wanda and Pietro, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver.) McTaggart, Kevin (Proteus) Moonstar, Danielle (Moonstar) Munroe, Ororo (Storm)
On another screen there were a series of folders on the computer's desktop. These folders listed some well-known individuals or places from the X-Men universe, including: Omega Red (Russian mutant super soldier) Muir Island (Scottish mutant research facility) Project Wideawake (Codename for Sentinel project) Franklin Richards (Son of Fantastic Four's Reed Richards and Sue Storm, born a mutant)

N

Notepad

Where did you see these names? I don't recall seeing any computers with names on them anywhere. Could you help out a very confused Sefro?

*Junkyard notes that you should never feed the sefros*

T

train

there was a trivia site I passed through somewhere that mentioned something like that...

try still-shot-ing the movie to see fi you can see them...

C

chunkymonky1053

I used the DVD and read alot of websites for what they all were.

G

Gizmo

Got nothing better to do, so I might as well rant on a little about...

X-Men 2
Best. Superhero film. Ever.
(and contender for my favourite film of all time)

There's two reasons why this is. The first is pretty inane... and that is that whenever Hollywood comes to make a comic book character they're desperate to widen the appeal beyond the nerds and fanboys, and so they always concentrate "on really, you know, getting in touch with the inner drives of the character, what makes him tick, you know... because I feel that really he's a complex character that speaks to us all on many levels about our own problems". Or some **** like that. Bull****, next time I turn green and ten foot tall and run around going "HULK SMASH!" and swatting around tanks like they were made of polystyrene... THEN he'll speak to my inner drives. Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil, X-Men... they were all movies exploring the origins of the characters and searching for some sort of extra layers. That's great, really it is... Spiderman in particular is a great movie, and The Hulk (though much maligned) is fantastic and very stylish right until the end, where the filmmakers ran into the same problem Stan Lee always had with the Hulk - finding an appropriate nemesis for somebody who is essentially brainless but indestructible.

X-Men 2 throws that whole "touch their inner drives" crap out the window. He shoots lasers from his eyes! ZAAAPPPP! He has claws! SNIKT! He blows things up! KABOOOM! It's the first comic book movie to actually feel like a comic book, it's all action from the opening scene through to the end. The complexity is there, the plot twists and turns like a slippery snake, and it certainly doesn't treat the audience like fools - you've got to be on your toes to follow the movie because it DOES move so fast, and change so much. So from a pure action-adventure enjoyment point of view, X-Men 2 is hard to top.

But there's a second reason why it's good. A more serious reason. X-Men 2 was made around and after the World Trade Center attack, when the whole of Hollywood was running scared from any sort of controversial topic, and even the future of action films themselves was debated. Everyone was rallying to President Bush's line, adn Hollywood was no exception. Movies already made, like The Sum Of All Fears (a perfectly good spy/action/thriller filmed before 9-11 but with a plot line of a nuclear attack by terrorists on the mainland USA) were quietly dropped from their release schedules and appeared on our screens over a year later. Other movies in production, like Spiderman, made changes to their scripts to follow the new line of thinking (in Spiderman's case this was particularly poignant, as the original ending had been filmed already, actually ON the WTC) and in the reshot finale the people of New York make a conscpicuous appearance to support Spiderman and help him defeat the Green Goblin "You take on one of us, you take on us all!" shouts one of the common Joes of NYC, and he might as well have wrapped himself in the flag and saluted as he said it.

Compare to X-Men 2. First of all, in X-Men 1, nobody dies. Wait, I lied... the bad guys ACCIDENTALLY kill one person. X-Men 2 the bodycount is enormous - the gloves really come off for the sequel. But more importantly. X-Men 2 is a movie written and filmed in the months AFTER 9-11... who are the bad guys? THE AMERICAN MILITARY! A Hollywood movie shows the good guys (the X-Men) actually teaming up with the terrorists from the first film (Mageneto and co) to TAKE ON THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT! Wow. Think about it. X-Men 2 doesn't just take a different tack to most Hollywood blockbusters at the time - it stands alone in facing the exact opposite way. The American President is made to look weak, the American military is made to look corrupt and downright evil... and all the while the good guys stand alongside the bad guys in hacking down, blowing up, zapping through dozens of US soldiers.

President Bush said, in the wake of 9-11, that you were either for the US, or you were against it. X-Men 2 sticks a big two fingers up at that simplistic bivalent view of the world. There's shades of grey all around, factions team up and divide from each other according to their own plans and motives, people lie, change teams, and the whole thing is a total condemnation of US foreign policy in the wake of the 9-11 attacks.

And sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who noticed all this.

:(

I wonder if in ten years time X-Men 2 will be getting deconstructed piece by piece in media and film studies lectures, essays and exam questions set about it's relevance? I doubt it, because it's a superhero movie, and nobody takes them seriously. Which in the case of X-Men 2 is a real shame.