WWYT Round 2 Answers and Scores!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Who thinks the previews for Disney's The Wild looks an awful like Madagascar?
According to a friend, it's another instance where one studio made a movie similar to another one in production and rushed it out before the earlier one was finished. This also happened a while back with "Antz" and "A Bug's Life."

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Yeah, but "Bug's Life" was VASTLY superior to "Ants". I imagine it'll be the same case here.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree.

So The Wild was the earlier production? 'Cause Madagascar was pretty good, if it was "rushed".

T

train

Madagascar was DANG good... so if the Wild is to top it...

Well... I just don't see it happening from the previews...

:cool:

E

EricBess

The other possibility is that The Wild was pushed back since they weren't going to be able to get it out before Madagascar. They figured that if they can't beat it, they don't want to put it out right after it, so they push it back a while and hopefully ride any success of video sales.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they might not have thought Madagascar would do so well or be so popular. But it is (or was), so I think The Wild isn't going to do that well, though I guess they decided that putting it out and trying to get some money is better than letting it sit unreleased.

T

train

EB has a good point on that one...

I can see waiting, but it's got to be hard having to swallow something like that...

Of course - you wouldn't want to put it out and get crushed either...

what a catch 22...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Also Disney and Pixar have had a sort of falling out from my understanding. I'm not sure how much of the process was controlled by Pixar for this one, but I wouldn't expect it to be as good as their previous endeavors (like Monsters, Inc.).

T

train

I guess it's because Disney wated Pixar to have more allusions to adult humor... and Pixar said HECK NO...

:D

T

train

ooooh... gotcha...

here's some thought from a guy named Richard in Canada about The Wild...

I was lucky enough to get tickets to a preview of this film last week. I also initially wondered why they would copy Madagascar (which I didn't find very good)...I came away with the realization that it's a very different and way better movie with only the basic premise bearing somewhat of a resemblance (not unlike many kid's films and the "formula" that seems to be used).

I found the film hilarious and had a great time watching my kids get such a kick out of it as well. The animation is absolutely incredible and this was a great escape for me and my kids (10 and 7)...if I could only get my 7 year old to stop continually quoting Nigel the Koala then all would be well...

I read a few reviews which panned this flick. I wondered if they saw the same movie we did and/or why an adult who wants to bring a kid for a few laughs would listen to some of the negative crap that's been written?! I would suggest that there is many a jaded movie critic out there who may not appreciate this for what it really is (perhaps they're taking their own "grown-up" opinions too seriously?)...a kid's flick which just happens to appeal (thankfully) to the adults who are brought along in tow. Either some of these reviewers have a different political agenda or they're really out of touch with the audience demographics a film like this is geared toward. You watch...You decide...

This film was quite simply a blast! We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta wonder about his credibility since he thought Madagascar wasn't that good :D

Although seriously, I'll probably see it (though on video) just because it's Disney. But reading between the lines in the review above, I think that if this guy who didn't like Madagascar but turns out to love this movie, means that if you DID like Madagascar you might not like The Wild. It seems to offer opposite things :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
How did Pixar get into this? Dreamworks did Madagascar, not Pixar. :confused:
Because for a while Pixar made ALL of Disney's CGI movies and all Disney did was slap their name on it and distribute it while taking more than half the profits or something. So Pixar was unhappy with things and they've had a serious falling out, or so I've been told. I don't know to what extent Pixar was involved with The Wild. It's been in the making for some time, so I maybe it was largely Pixar-controlled and maybe it wasn't. I'm not sure...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, in the beginning, I'm sure it was a good deal because Pixar was a relatively unknown name (before their first movie, Toy Story) while Disney was an established name.

I am 99% sure that Pixar had nothing to do with The Wild - they were busy finishing up Cars and whatever the next project is. The Wild just happens to be the first Disney in-house all computer animated film, as opposed to hand-drawn animation (or wait, was it Chicken Little?). Either way, Pixar is out of the picture on this one.

E

EricBess

I have to wonder if the fallout between Disney and Pixar caused Disney to go to a different studio for partnership and if The Wild is the result of some new partnership.

The ironic thing for me is that Disney used to be known for it's wholesome, fun, family movies. The "Disney Classics" from Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and so forth. The wavered a bit with a few spot in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but to me, it was The Emperer's New Groove where they decided to go a bit corney and add "adult humor" to the point of it being less fun for families. Ever since then, most of the Disney movies have been sub-par in my opinion.

On the other hand, Pixar has continued where Disney left off. Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Bug's Life...all very well done and good family fun.

Personally, I thought Madagascar was cute, but there was too much potty humor for me to really enjoy it while hoping not to have to listen to my kids biting each other on the butt for the next month. Step back and ask yourself, is "you bit me on the butt" really a funny thing to say? As far as I can tell, you are supposed to laugh because they say the word "butt", and my kids did, just like they were supposed to.

From the comercials I've seen of "The Wild", it has a lot of the same sort of stuff going on. I don't plan on seeing it, but by all means, if someone here sees it, let me know how it is.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Disney went to another studio in a partnership for The Wild, I think they drew it themselves. They're going all computer now - no more hand-drawn animated features (as of right now).

And everyone knows that Disney bought Pixar, right?

I think the last good movie from Disney was Tarzan, but that came after some mis-steps like Hunchback. I think pretty much after Lion King (which was the last one by whoever teamed up to do Little Mermain through Lion King), it went downhill.