WWYT Round 12 - Results

E

EricBess

Need to be quick today. Going to be a busy week at work.
Sorry.

17 Respondants and only 14 different answers listed:

Poker (17)
Blackjack (11)
Hearts (11)
Solitaire (11)
Bridge (10)
Gin Rummy (8)
War (5)
Go Fish (4)
Spades (3)

1 Each:
A**hole, Cribbage, Euchre, Pinocchle, Spit

You can do the math, but I'll save you time. To score top points this week, you needed to hit all the top answers. 3 people did:

Hetemti - 60 (5)
Azreal - 60 (5)
nodarb - 60 (5)
theOrgg - 57 (1)
Istanbul - 57 (1)

Melkor - 55
Chaos Turtle - 51
Jake74 - 51
TurdCutter - 51
Apollo - 50
Mundungu - 50
Rando - 50
rkoelsch - 48
Gerode - 45
Spiderman - 44
Ransac - 43
sageridder - 39

Standings:
Gerode - 22
Chaos Turtle - 19
Hetemti - 15
Azreal the Soulmaster - 13
nodarb - 12
Apollo - 11
Melkor - 10
sleepy - 9
Istanbul - 10
TurdCutter - 8
Spiderman - 8
sageridder - 8
Rando - 7
Ransac - 6
Jake74 - 6
fuzzy - 5
Mundugu - 5
TheOrgg - 1 (See, it pays to hang in there!)

M

Mundungu

HEARTS ????

you guys spend too much time in fron of the computer ..

I dont know anybody who plays hearts IRL ...

dammit once again in the "follower's group"

H

Hetemti

Woah...I totally smackethed down on that one.

Then again, I've been playing cards since I was three, so I guess I had a bit of inside knowledge. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hearts is quite the party game where I am... I should have put Blackjack though (and I totally forgot Solitaire).

A

Apollo

HEARTS?! HEARTS??? What is wrong with you people? Nobody plays hearts!!! AAGGHHHH!

E

EricBess

Um... Aparently, there are at least 12 of us that play Hearts (myself included) ;)

R

Rando

I like Pitch the best. It's like the bastard son of Hearts and Bridge, and very fun to play.

I sugest you all try it.

It can be played with either 4 or 6 players, with slightly different bidding rules for each.

N

nodnarb24

I don't play hearts but both my brother and my mom play hearts. :)

Probably the best card game is Bulls***.

I

Istanbul

Hearts.
Well, bugger me sideways. I KNEW I was forgetting something.
That'll learn me to answer just before the metaphorical buzzer...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Um... Aparently, there are at least 12 of us that play Hearts (myself included)
Well, technically, just because people listed it doesn't mean they actually play it, but it's a great quick game.

nodnarb: I thought that way about bullcrap in my teen years too... then I got wiser ;)

E

EricBess

Rando, I've never heard of Pitch. How extensive would it be to explain to someone who already knows Hearts and Bridge?

R

Rando

I searched the Internet for a site with the rules for you, but none of the several I found had Pitch in the form I was taught to play. Since it also seems that there are different versions of Pitch, I'll call the rules I was taught "10 Point Pitch".

Pitch can be played with two teams of 2 or 3. Let's first look at four-man Pitch.

Teammates will sit across the board from each other.

A 54 card deck is used, with a High and a Low joker. These jokers should be marked to show which is high and which is low.

Each player is dealt 9 cards. The player to the left of the dealer then makes a bid of how many points he thinks his team can make that hand. You may bid anywhere from 3, the lowest bid allowed, to 10, the maximum amount of points in one hand. The bidding player may also pass. A suit is NOT named by the bidder in a 4 man game.

Bidding progresses to the left, and each new bidder may overbid the player before him, or pass. Whoever dealt has the last bid in a hand. When the dealer bids, then the high bid stands.

The player that got the high bid then names the suit that will be trump for that hand. It is only in that suit that point cards will be in.

All players, except for the one with the high bid, then set aside all cards in their hand of the trump suit and discard the rest. The dealer then deals out cards to those players until they have a hand of six cards. (this includes the non-discarded trump cards)

Whatever cards are left in the deck, if any, then go to the high-bidding player. The remainder of the deck is known as the "kitty", or "bitch", if in less delicate company.

The high-bidding player, after receiving the "kitty", then constructs a hand of six cards using the kitty and his original hand. All other cards are discarded. That player may NOT discard point-cards. Also, if that player has to discard a trump-suit card, he must tell the other players.

The rank of cards and their point value, if any, are as follows:

Ace - 1 point
King - 0
Queen - 0
Jack - 1 point
Off-Jack - 1 point
High Joker - 1 point
Low Joker - 1 point
10 - 1 point
9 through 4 - 0 points
3 - 3 points
2 - 1 point

For the sake of what is "high" and what is "low", the jokers are higher then a 10 and lower then a jack.

The off-jack is in whatever suit that is the same color as the trump suit. For instance, if the trump is hearts, then the off-jack would be the jack of diamonds.

Play then begins with all players having a hand of 6. The only cards that may be played during the coarse of the hand are cards in the trump suit, the jokers and the off-jack.

The high-bidding player has the first throw, also known as the lead.

The lead player chooses one card in his hand and throws it to the center of the board (hence, the name).

Play continues to the left, with each player throwing one card. When all 4 players have tossed a card, whichever player put out the card of the highest rank takes all the point cards from that trick for his team. All other cards played during that trick are discarded. The exception is the 2, which when laid out always goes to the team that played, and can not be taken by the high card.

That same player who played the highest ranked card is now the new lead, and chooses one of his 5 remaining cards to start a new trick.

Play continues in this fashion until all players empty their hands and 6 tricks have been played. If a player no longer has any cards of the trump-suit, or the off-jack or a joker, then that player is "up", and must discard his hand when it is next his turn to throw. That player must sit out the rest of the hand.

Once all tricks have been played, then points for that hand are tallied. Each team adds the point values of the point cards they took during the hand. The total off all points for both teams will always be 10. Obviously the 3 is the most important point card to capture, since it is worth 3 points.

If the player's team who had the high bid at the beginning of the hand did NOT get at least an amount of points equal to the bid, then that team is penalized an amount equal to the bid, and that amount is deducted from the team's score. That team gets no points for the point cards they did take that hand, only the penalty.

A new hand is then dealt, with the person to the left of the first dealer becoming the dealer for that hand.

Play continues in this fashion until a team reaches 31 points in a hand that they had the bid. That team then wins the game.

Extra Bidding Rule - Shooting the Moon.
During bidding, a player may put in a bid of "shoot the moon." With this bid, the player is proclaiming that he and his team mate can and will get all 10 points for that hand. This is different then a bid of 10 though, because if they do get 10 points, then that team wins the whole game, regardless of the total scores. But, if they do not get all 10 points, then that team looses the game. A player on the other team may also "overshoot", basically saying the same thing.

6 Man Pitch

6 man play is more or less the same, with a few differences:

There are 2 teams of 3. No teammates may sit next to each other.

There is no "kitty", since all 54 cards are dealt out at once. Players play with the 9 cards they are given with no discarding.

The suit that the bidder wishes to play in is said at the time the bid is made, for instance, "4, hearts."

The game is played to 41 points.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Couple questions:

All players, except for the one with the high bid, then set aside all cards in their hand of the trump suit and discard the rest. The dealer then deals out cards to those players until they have a hand of six cards. (this includes the non-discarded trump cards)
These new cards are dealt from the deck that was not dealt the first time (the 9 to each player)? The 18 card deck left?

The high-bidding player, after receiving the "kitty", then constructs a hand of six cards using the kitty and his original hand. All other cards are discarded. That player may NOT discard point-cards. Also, if that player has to discard a trump-suit card, he must tell the other players.
When you say "point cards", do you mean only the trump suit cards that are worth points (not 4-9 for example)?

Play continues in this fashion until all players empty their hands and 6 tricks have been played. If a player no longer has any cards of the trump-suit, or the off-jack or a joker, then that player is "up", and must discard his hand when it is next his turn to throw. That player must sit out the rest of the hand.
Not sure it matters since there aren't any points, but when a player is up and he discards his hand, he just doesn't participate in the trick (so if he's the first player out, there will be only 3 cards in the trick)?

R

Rando

Originally posted by Spiderman
Couple questions:

These new cards are dealt from the deck that was not dealt the first time (the 9 to each player)? The 18 card deck left?

When you say "point cards", do you mean only the trump suit cards that are worth points (not 4-9 for example)?

Not sure it matters since there aren't any points, but when a player is up and he discards his hand, he just doesn't participate in the trick (so if he's the first player out, there will be only 3 cards in the trick)?
#1 Yes, the cards left over from the initial 9 card hands.

#2 By "point cards", I mean any card worth points. This includes the jokers and the off-jack.

#3 Yes, when a player is "up, play keeps going with the remaining players. When only one player has trump cards left in thier hand, then that player may keep all the points left in his hand. (since there's no one left to throw a high-card anyway)

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Rando

Does this mean that the off-trump Jack might get thrown out at this point, or does the off-trump Jack count as a trump card, like in Euchre?

R

Rando

Yes, the off-jack counts as a trump card.

If a point card is thrown out, then a mis-deal must be called and that hand is replayed.

Sometimes, if someone is not paying attention, you'll find that there were only 9 points at the end of the hand, and the team that won out will not be pleased when the off-jack or a joker is found in the discard pile.

E

EricBess

Perhaps a penalty could instead be instituted as a house rule. Each team keeps their own discard pile as the hand is being prepared and any points thrown into a discard pile go to the other team automatically.