Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obstinate Familiar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else? (Post!)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I

Istanbul

Which rare would you most hate to open in a booster pack? (This assumes that you're not part of a draft or Sealed Deck tournament at the time.)

BTW, I know that there are other awful rares. But with only 10 poll options, I had to choose the real cream of the crap.

The nominees are:

Battle of Wits (3UU)
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 200 or more cards in your library, you win the game.

Braids, Cabal Minion (2BB)
Creature - Minion Legend
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices an artifact, creature, or land.

Chance Encounter (2RR)
Enchantment
Whenever you win a coin flip, put a luck counter on Chance Encounter. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Chance Encounter has ten or more luck counters on it, you win the game.

Decimate (2RG)
Sorcery
Destroy target artifact, target creature, target enchantment, and target land.

Divert (U)
Instant
Change the target of target spell with a single target unless that spell's controller pays 2.

Dogged Hunter (2W)
Creature - Nomad
T: Destroy target creature token.
1/1

Impulsive Maneuvers (2RR)
Enchantment
Whenever a creature attacks, flip a coin. If you win the flip, the next time that creature would deal combat damage this turn, it deals double that damage instead. If you lose the flip, the next time that creature would deal combat damage this turn, prevent that damage.

Nefarious Lich (BBBB)
Enchantment
If you would be dealt damage, remove that many cards in your graveyard from the game instead. If you can't, you lose the game. If you would gain life, draw that many cards instead. When Nefarious Lich leaves play, you lose the game.

Obstinate Familiar (R)
Creature - Lizard
If you would draw a card, you may skip that draw instead.
1/1

I

Istanbul

I have to admit...I'm having a tough time deciding, myself. It's a toss-up between Battle of Wits and Nefarious Lich.

Leaning towards Battle of Wits, though. Unless you have a deck of at least 220 cards or so, it does...*nothing*.

M

Mr.Gnome

I hate neferious lich, at least battle of wits is entertaining although i would never use it.

M

MrXarvox

I'd use battle of wits! But then, I've always enjoyed odd, type zero decks with ludicrous win conditions. I'm thinking 300 cards, 4 feldon's cane, 4 thran foundry, plenty of enchantment/artifact seekers. hehe.

I lean toward Obstinate Familiar. It is practically useless (except against opponent-draws-self-to-death decks), and definitely does not warrant a rare slot.

R

rkoelsch

I can't believe you included divert. With misdirection rotating out it will keep the Rage players honest. Anyone say rage with kicker.
If you get any Divert's I wil take them off your hands. Also the Dogged Hunter's. Too many Token creatures running around.

I

Istanbul

You realize that if your opponent has two extra mana open, Divert doesn't DO anything?

Didn't see a whooooooole lot of Misdirection. This is worse than Misdirection.

E

EricBess

Battle of Wits: Not useful anywhere. In a large deck, you will almost never draw it. It is already banned in 250 because it could be a random win.

Braids, Cabal Minion: Are you kidding? What's wrong with an Abyss variant? This is a pretty solid card. And like Smokestack, if you get to the point where you can't afford to sacrifice anything else, it goes. Your opponent doesn't have this option.

Chance Encounter: I can see people building casual combo decks with this that flip a lot of coins. Blah.

Decimate: Again, this is a solid card, if only in the sideboard. Yeah, you can very seldom cast it, but when you do....

Divert: I agree with rkoelsch. This is a pretty good card. Granted Misdirection is a "free" card, but people come to expect it anyway. With Divert, people will be overconfident against it. If they know I am playing it, I gain tempo advantage when they wait for 2 extra mana before casting certain cards. Then won't they be surprised when I whip out a second divert and they take 10 from their own Rage anyway.

Dogged Hunter: While not a great card, how can you discount this in an environment with Elephant Ambush, Beast Attack, Roar of the Wurm, and Call of the Herd? Good sideboard card if nothing else.

Impulsive Manuevers: See Chance Encounter.

Nefarious Lich: Just as soon as there are no more Disenchant or Hoodwink variants in the environment, this will be a good card. :rolleyes:

Obstinate Familiar: Obviously, there are better 1/1 creatures for 1, but who knows. If nothing else, this will make Millstone decks work a little harder to win. Sideboard only and probably not worth it.

These are just my views, but the Battle of Wits and Nefarioius Lich are the two that top the list.

Here's an idea:
Alternate Battle of Wits
During your upkeep, you win the game if there are 200 or more card in all player's libraries.

Think about it, in Multiplayer, you are more likely to have the win condition, but less likely for it to actually stay in play. At least it would be useful in some format.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I agree with EricBess on Braids(plus she has cool art), I'm gonna have to go with Nefarious lich.

Melkor

Obstinate Familiar is easily the card I would least like to see in my booster. In fact, I may not buy Odyssey boosters for the sheer fear of getting one. I had to read the card a couple of times to comprehend its awfulness. I mean a 1/1 rare, must do something good right? Wrong it does something completely useless because their are practically no times when I would ever want to skip drawing a card. Its not like this is Urza's Block and Academy is running around threatening to Stroke everyone to death. That's the problem this card is only useful against some sort of decking combo, and then only in the sideboard, and then only if the decking is coming through forcing you to draw cards, rather than milling which is what is popular and feasible in this environment. None of the cards listed above match Obstinate Familiar for being so plainly and obviously crappy. I mean at least if I pulled a Battle of Wits I would ponder making that deck just for fun, or trading it to someone else who wanted to make that deck just for fun. If I pulled an Obstinate Familiar I would nail it to my ceiling so that everyday when I woke up I would see it and be reminded never to buy Magic Cards again.

N

NeuroDeus

Obstinate Familiar was unusual done for the Puzzle Box Deck!

It helps soooo much Puzzle Box decks...

T

theorgg

Battle of Wits (3UU)
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 200 or more cards in your library, you win the game.
I had a short conversation with Matt Ranks about this card. He figured that us, as "casual players" might think it's a good card. I replied "if it was attached to a 3/3 creature, I might think about it. As is, I'd like to wipe my oink with the first one I see(IRL)." The odds of drawing and getting this thing off with a 212 card deck(the BARE ARSE MINIMUM) is not good at ALL. I'm frankly insulted by this POS. In 5-color, I could see it being restricted... but then only because...

Creature - Minion Legend
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices an artifact, creature, or land.
HUH? You don't like this guy? He's a Carpens Matrems! (Mother "seize"er)! He kills at the minimum one land for 2BB, and if you've got somthing like Breeding Pit... I mean, DAMN!

Chance Encounter (2RR)
Enchantment
Whenever you win a coin flip, put a luck counter on Chance Encounter. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Chance Encounter has ten or more luck counters on it, you win the game.
If not for the FAQ sheet for this, I'd simply say it's "cute" for the deck I've been wanting to build for a while... (coin flipper deck, duh..) However, the Faq rules that ANY flip you do not loose counts as a win for this... Well, I cast Game of Chaos on ya'll two right there. Here's a couple of coins...(2 counters? probably not... More like six, or if lucky, eight counters-- Hell, possibly a friggin WIN!) If anyone has any of these guys, I'd love to get 'em off of ya for about $1 or so in trade...

Decimate (2RG)
Sorcery
Skill Tester, and Multiplayer-only card, plane and simple.

Divert (U)
Instant
Change the target of target spell with a single target unless that spell's controller pays 2.
It's Power Sink and Deflection's lovechile! I've seen plenty of people tap out to burn a blue deck without much in hand just to risk that those cards are land... Now they eat the damage... I think it's somthing that will be planned for, as its price is cheap for what the potential of it is..

Dogged Hunter (2W)
Creature - Nomad
1/1
Not THAT bad. I've wanted somthing of this like for a while-- I just wish it costed (1) less.

Enchantment
Whenever a creature attacks, flip a coin. If you win the flip, the next time that creature would deal combat damage this turn, it deals double that damage instead. If you lose the flip, the next time that creature would deal combat damage this turn, prevent that damage.
permanant Exodus rare that should help get the remaining four or so counters for Chance Encounter.

Nefarious Lich (BBBB)
Enchantment
If you would be dealt damage, remove that many cards in your graveyard from the game instead. If you can't, you lose the game. If you would gain life, draw that many cards instead. When Nefarious Lich leaves play, you lose the game.
Now people without 90 bucks to spare can try to harness the power of becoming a Liche, the living undead! BWAAAHAAAAHAAAahaaaahaaaaaa!

Obstinate Familiar (R)
Creature - Lizard
1/1
Hey, I like this guy. If you'd like to trade 'em to me pretty cheap(reguardless of rarity), I'd like to get a hold of a few. This is an ability that's novel and somwhat rare, so I'd stock up... just in case...

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by theorgg
Now people without 90 bucks to spare can try to harness the power of becoming a Liche, the living undead! BWAAAHAAAAHAAAahaaaahaaaaaa!
Just checking...
Theorgg is an admin, right?

...right.

*runs away*

M

Mikeymike

Obstinate Familiar got my vote, it just bothers me that this is a rare. Theorgg made a very good point about this being a novel ability however they attached it to a dinky 1/1. Why would you ever want this ability on a 1-drop? I know its going to find a home (as Lotus Mox showed), I just feel WOTC could have tried a little harder to make this card more playable (like 1R for a 2/2).

Another rare that bothers me: Otarian Juggernaut. The card isn't bad, but threshold just turns it into the original uncommon Juggernaut. R&D could have made it a 3/3 that got +2/0 or a 2/3 that got +4/0 just so people weren't pissed that they were getting a lesser version of a fairly balanced uncommon in their rare slot.

Last but not least, the 3UU Control Magic just gets under my skin.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Again, wouldn't you want Obstinate Familiar as a one drop if you're playing against an Academy deck and you're going first?

This is just one application that I can think of... perhaps there's more.

M

Mikeymike

I've yet to see an Academy deck win on turn 2 (although I know they can) so I'd much rather take my chances with a 2/2 for 1R. Spiderman, I know the card has applications but that doesn't remove the fact that their are 1-drop commons that are 10x better than this. If R & D wants this ability to exist, put it on something better than a 1/1.

Oh yeah, and it sucks against Millstone. If Millstone is a problem and you're playing red, wouldn't artifact destruction be a better option? I mean, Obstinate Familiar doesn't actually do anything against Millstone except slow down how long it takes to kill you. If you're not drawing cards, how are you going to deal with their side of the board besides hoping to outrace a Wrath of God. What would you rather draw against Millstone, a O.Familiar or a Shatter?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know what you're saying but at the highest levels of tourney play, the Academy deck has won on the first or second turn. And perhaps there's other mad drawing engines that have won.

Sure, for the player who has not played on that level or have come across decks like that, the card seems useless. So don't use it.

I'm not sure what it has to do with Millstone since Millstone moves the card from the library to the graveyard, not drawing unless I'm missing something.

It could be applicable with Howling Mine or something, as Millstone decks add that to cause the opponent to draw and run out of cards faster <shrug>

All I'm saying is, what makes a card a rare? Usually one that has a narrow application, and that's what this is.

Melkor

You're so right about the UU3 Control Magic. It makes me so angry. They finally made the card that is obviously and directly inferior to 2 cards. Usually they keep it at one (Shock:Lightning Bolt, Ancestral:Inspiration, Craw Wurm: Yavimaya Wurm).

D

Daggertooth

Originally posted by Istanbul
Battle of Wits (3UU)
Enchantment
I seriously can't see where this will ever be played. Although Beginners tend to play with huge decks. :rolleyes:

Creature - Minion Legend
I like this card. It's very usable. I don't see why it's compared to these other garbage.

Chance Encounter (2RR)
Enchantment
Well its better than goblin bomb. And it has it's possibilities in casual.

Decimate (2RG)
Sorcery
Could be good. But I don't remember the last time I played someone who got all 4 out.

Divert (U)
Instant
If anything a person would wait to cast any direct dammage just in cast. This will make every Red Mage a bit more cautious.

Dogged Hunter (2W)
Creature - Nomad
1/1
This is a great sideboard against the new green. Other than that I don't see him getting much play. I can see a 3CC for a 1/1 for black. Afterall it does that sometimes. A 3CC for white is just rediculous.

Enchantment
Well, i guess this'll work for chance encounters.

Nefarious Lich (BBBB)
Enchantment
Now is is just me or did they really screw black this time? It is crap, but with life gain and some defencive measures you might be able to use this.

Obstinate Familiar (R)
Creature - Lizard
1/1
This will hose my Cephalid's Embrace Deck. Granted, not many decks will be like that. I guess it was designed to be against one type of player. That should warrent it a uncommon slot. So it's just one of those maby useable crappy rares.

I'd have to vote for the battle of Witts. I really can't see it getting any use.

Daggertooth