Wizards Sues Rancored_Elf From MTGSalvation!!!

O

orgg

I never expected this to happen this late.

When Hasbro first took over and before MTG.com came online, I kinda thought Hasbro might become a Gamer Napster after they sued Havic: the bothering out of print. This late, I never could've guessed. I'm simply in for the show, though I myself enjoy the whole 'spoiler gatherer' threads upon occasion.

Z

Zigathon

It certainly was quite a show. The original thread on Salvation was more like a chatroom than a forum. It seems to have died down quickly, as I thought it would.

H

HOUTS

1. First off, Troll king? LOL! You've posted: 1,940 times, and I've only posted a mere 113? And I've been here for quite some time. No, it's not 'trolling', it's the supposed 'CPA' friendly network. You're a prime example of that 'elitism' thing. Thanks, I applaude you. It's easier to point it out, blantly, when you do moronic things like this. But, you come from the Spidey School of etiquette & logic.

2. Please, at least, read the past responses. It is clear as day:
"My argument is the opposite, namely that the spoilers deny WotC the chance to promote their product the way they would want to."
IS this obvious enough for you?

"I was making a point and counterpoint of my own expanding off a comment of yours"
Logic 101. Read above comment. That is called a disagreement when you make a point to write that you view opposite. And, for the record, I put my "disagreement" in quotations.

Silly kids.

Now, go back to trolling. And I mean it too. You've posted a dozen times with "Don't feed the troll" being quite hypocritical with your own action.
Just so everyone knows this.

But I enjoy when you and Spidey try to talk.....
Thanks.

-HOUTS-

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It would help if you actually knew the meaning of "troll" and why post count does not apply...

Anyway, I clicked on the links and the first thread was 78 pages and the second was 11+, although the attitudes on both were clearly different (at least starting out). Ever since someone's post on the Guildpact thread that a preview pic was different or contained the complete info on a certain card that was different from rancored_elf's spoiler, I figured he was probably getting his info from an early test file that someone passed to him. It probably would be better to try to find the leak at their end but yeah, using copywritten info needs to be stopped no matter where it is, despite being beneficial to the players :)

Z

Zigathon

I have no idea what a troll is...

Does someone know if there is a petition anywhere? I've been unable to find one.

H

HOUTS

"It would help if you actually knew the meaning of "troll" and why post count does not apply..."

It is quite unfortunate, as a ModerHater, you don't know.
Very sad indeed.

Z

Zigathon

*scratches his head*
I'm guessing a "troll" is someone that just prances around thread to thread stirring up trouble and smelling pretty flowers?

A

Apollo

Good golly, the drama! I remember my brash younger days, fighting with DUke, pooping on various members of the CPA community. I sure am glad I put that behind me, unlike you immature whippersnappers. :p

As to the actual subject... okay, Hasbro is within their rights. But isn't this a little extreme? Did they ever send a "cease and desist" to R_E? It seems to me he's just being a journalist here and reporting from a source. They can knock him off, but there's still someone in their organization leaking info. That's the real problem.

Z

Zigathon

Way to get back on topic Apollo!

They should have sent a cease and desist order before doing this.
However, what really bugs me about the whole situation is people that are saying, "Go R_E we're behind you 100%. Let's protest and sign a petition!" Yet... not a damn thing happens.
I hope WotC is blowing the same amount of smoke from their anus as most of the Magic fan base seems to be doing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, from the first page of the two threads linked above, it appeared that MTGSalvation was behind him while Mistings were not... But I seem to remember that one of them (I think MTGSalvation) had something on the page saying petitions are useless, write a well-written letter to WOTC protesting this (or something to that effect).

Personally I agree. Petitions aren't going to do squat. The only thing WOTC might listen to besides a letter-writing campaign is a boycott of their products.

G

Gizmo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Usefulness_of_trolling

Wikipedia:
The main motive for a user trolling is to disrupt the community in some way. Inflammatory, sarcastic, disruptive or humorous content is posted, meant to draw other users into engaging the troll in a fruitless confrontation. The greater the reaction from the community the more likely the user is to troll again, as the person develops beliefs that certain actions achieve his/her goal to cause chaos. This gives rise to the often repeated protocol in Internet culture: "Do not feed the trolls".

Houts said:
Now, go back to trolling. And I mean it too. You've posted a dozen times with "Don't feed the troll" being quite hypocritical with your own action.
Just so everyone knows this.
Wikipedia:
Often, a person will post a sincere message about which he is emotionally sensitive. Skillful trolls know that an easy way to upset him is to disingenuously claim that he is a "troll".

Wikipedia:
Examples of Troll behaviour
* Bumping an old discussion, or rehashing a highly controversial past topic, particularly in smaller online communities.
* Intentionally posting an outrageous argument, deliberately constructed around a fundamental but obfuscated flaw or error. Often the poster will become defensive when the argument is refuted, but may instead continue the thread through the use of further flawed arguments; this is referred to as "feeding" the troll.

Motivations for Trolling:
* Anonymous attention-seeking: The troll seeks to dominate the thread by inciting anger, and effectively hijacking the topic at hand.
* Amusement: To some people, the thought of a person getting angry over statements from total strangers is entertaining.
* Wasting others' time: One of the greatest themes in trolling is the idea that a troll can spend one minute of time posting a troll, causing multiple other people to waste several minutes of their time, catalytically affecting others. Most trolls enjoy the idea that they can waste others' time at comparatively little effort on their behalf.

Solutions to Trolling:
* In general, popular wisdom advises users to avoid feeding trolls, and to ignore temptations to respond. Responding to a troll inevitably drives discussion off-topic, to the dismay of bystanders, and supplies the troll with the craved attention. When trollhunters pounce on the trolls, ignorers reply with: "YHBT. YHL. HAND.", or "You have been trolled. You have lost. Have a nice day." However, since trollhunters (like trolls) are often conflict-seekers themselves, the loss usually is not on the part of the trollhunter; rather, the losers are the other forum-users who would have preferred that the conflict does not emerge at all.

Z

Zigathon

Yeah, I have no clue what Miseting's problem is... but then, I haven't been around forums long enough anyway.
Regardless, this whole situation has caused a rift in the online Magic community and what it all boils down to is people sitting around trying to discuss the legalities of it when nobody has much of a clue about them.
What should be discussed, is how this affects players, not how wrong posting the spoiler is.
Unfortunately, no one is going to boycott, write a petition, or do anything but sit around and debate the situation until it goes away.
My concern is... what's next? It seems Wizards has stopped listening to its biggest supporters, the players. That's us, at least, it was the last time I checked. Yet, most people are too caught up in petty disagreements to take a look at the big picture.

O

orgg

MiseTings is a community of much older Magic players; the average age isn't 17 (which may be a bit high for some forums); it's about 28. The posters are more mature, and more realistic in their views. Half or more are also trolling arseholes, but that's part of the appeal.

As for the situation? *shrug*
It's a trainwreck, much like the "DEV2.0" project that's coming in March.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
orgg said:
MiseTings is a community of much older Magic players; the average age isn't 17 (which may be a bit high for some forums); it's about 28. The posters are more mature, and more realistic in their views. Half or more are also trolling arseholes, but that's part of the appeal.
So kinda like here? ;) I would say the average age of the active user here is about the same, maybe down to 25.

H

HOUTS

"Wikipedia:
Often, a person will post a sincere message about which he is emotionally sensitive. Skillful trolls know that an easy way to upset him is to disingenuously claim that he is a "troll".

Wikipedia:
Examples of Troll behaviour
* Bumping an old discussion, or rehashing a highly controversial past topic, particularly in smaller online communities.
* Intentionally posting an outrageous argument, deliberately constructed around a fundamental but obfuscated flaw or error. Often the poster will become defensive when the argument is refuted, but may instead continue the thread through the use of further flawed arguments; this is referred to as "feeding" the troll. "
Thanks for making it easier for me since you qualify for all of the above.
Honestly, you might as well call yourself Kettle and paint yourself black.
You've done nothing to redeem your immature actions, or furthered any of the previous points. And, lastly, you're only doing what, hypocritically, was said was done by me.

Good job!

*applauds*

-HOUTS-

O

orgg

Spiderman said:
So kinda like here? ;) I would say the average age of the active user here is about the same, maybe down to 25.
A caustic, bitter, and larger bastardized version of the CPA. If this is a coffiehouse, MiseTings would be a den of thieves full of arseholes.

Z

Zigathon

orgg said:
A caustic, bitter, and larger bastardized version of the CPA. If this is a coffiehouse, MiseTings would be a den of thieves full of arseholes.
Heh, after reading some of the threads over there (especially the one about the litigation) I must agree with you Orgg.

N

Nightstalkers

Hey, at least I'm nice about things... I don't go total dillhole on you guys.