Wizards Sues Rancored_Elf From MTGSalvation!!!

A

Arix

I think it's fair enough for them to do. I mean, as a company. Think about it - if you were trying to build up excitement with something new and big, how would you feel if someone else nabbed it (though to be fair, still giving you credit) long before you were meant to? And R_E did take their copyrighted material, and "prototypes" (playtest shots) and spread it without their permission.

But that's not to say I'm happy about it :(

Z

Zigathon

On the MTG site, many times they have mentioned taking a look at spoilers before going to a prerelease. I don't think its Wizards doing this directly, I think its the suits at Hasbro.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, I'd like to know how the information was obtained "illegally". At MTG Salvation, R_E states that he never received the info in an illegal fashion and wants to know how the Rumor Mill can be treated as such.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

Isn't it still legal to go through the trash and take it? I mean.. it's garbage and it's on public domain...

So what's the big fuss? We find nice juicy tidbits in the garbage and release them to the general public for perusal and they start suing people?

Z

Zigathon

Originally Posted by Zigathon
Its sad that Hasbro through Wizards is going to shoot the messenger because they don't know who's leaking the info. Its a scare tactic to find the leaks. They profit from R_E's legal case and from the cases of those who leaked.
Its really a pity that a game that grew in a basement now resides in a bank.
I posted that on another site, but meant to write it here.

H

HOUTS

"Its really a pity that a game that grew in a basement now resides in a bank"
*rolls eyes*
It still is.

Anyhow, obviously, WOTC has a legitimate lawsuit because of illegal, or illegally used, information, pictures, and trademarking was used without their permission.
*shrug* Seems very simple to see.
-HOUTS-

turgy22

Nothing Special
I just read through the Misetings thread and it looks like a lot of people are questioning the legality of R_E's postings and whether or not he has the right to disseminate the information. I have to agree with the people who say WotC is suing simply to get more information on R_E's sources. They've got to stop the leaks from their end... shutting down R_E isn't going to stop the info from getting out there.

This whole situation reaks of the Valerie Plame/Robert Novak situation that the government went through a couple months back. Novak, as a reporter, outed Plame as an undercover CIA operative, but it was his source, Karl Rove, who was legally at fault. R_E, like Novak, will probably catch no heat for this, whereas his inside sources are the real problem. Then again, Rove still has his job, so I could be wrong.

Regardless of the outcome, life will go on and it might be nice to attend a Prerelease without having to study the spoiler to try and gain even footing against everyone else who's studying the spoiler.

H

HOUTS

"Regardless of the outcome, life will go on and it might be nice to attend a Prerelease without having to study the spoiler to try and gain even footing against everyone else who's studying the spoiler"
Hold on! You go to Pre-release tournaments?
Woooaaahhh hold up pardner'!

Even I don't go to those events.

You're no Casual Player, sir. Now, you're a Competitive Player. You've soiled the sanctity of basement and round-table games of the real Casual Players (TM)....
How dare you!

*wailing arms*

Actually, I love the spoilers. It creates a sense of anticipation till the actual set comes out. All businesses use a form of the 'spoiler' when it applies to their product.

GO WOTC! Sue his arse! I mean oink. Oink.

-HOUTS-

D

DarthFerret

I cannot say I agree with the tactics, but I do know that WotC, maybe not being nice about it, has every legal right to do as they have done. It does not matter if it is Hasbro, or Wizards, some suit high up in the chain of command wants to stop a leak. This leak may be small potatoes now, but what if a leak occured early enough in R and D and someone else went out and patented an object/picture/idea that Magic was gonna use. That would ruin everyone's day (and there are many other forms of industrial espionage that could occur as well). I am not trying to be a conspiracy theorist. Just pointing out, that to stop "The Big One" from hitting, you must contain the little one. Now, it may so happen also, that Wizards itself wants to be the one to control "the leaking" of spoilers. That way, they can think that they are in control of the hype and anticipation generated by such leaks. In order for them to control such, they have to stop all other leaks.

And the final point, is What have we not heard yet? ... Did something aside from spoiler leaks occur, and wizards has to shut down the leak from the angle of spoilers to catch the other one? Is there some larger thing going on that is not being made public at this time? Or are they using this as an example to thier current employees?

What kinda scares me is that I heard about 2 months ago, that my brother (who has been doing contract work for WotC (not on the MTG side) and is now being asked to go full time employee (once his contract is done). I wonder if he would have any inside info, (and if he would be fired for tellin me).

Well, that is my set of thoughts....

G

Gizmo

HOUTS said:
Actually, I love the spoilers. It creates a sense of anticipation till the actual set comes out. All businesses use a form of the 'spoiler' when it applies to their product.

WotC print teasers of their sets to heighten anticipation, just as movie companies squeeze together the best bits of films into 90 seconds of OHMYGODIVEGOTTOSEETHISMOVIE!

What R_E does is tantamount to uploading the entire movie prior to release date. Actually, it's kind of not - the product is owning the cards while the film product is watching the film, R_E doesnt give you the cards. I guess the most accurate description would be somebody providing the finished screenplay & storyboard with concept art to a movie online before the movie is released - but that's still the sort of thing that gets film companies feeling litigious.

WotC deserve to have control over their own product and the teasers for it up to it going on general sale. R_E doesnt really have a leg to stand on.

H

HOUTS

"WotC print teasers of their sets to heighten anticipation, just as movie companies squeeze together the best bits of films into 90 seconds of OHMYGODIVEGOTTOSEETHISMOVIE!

What R_E does is tantamount to uploading the entire movie prior to release date. Actually, it's kind of not - the product is owning the cards while the film product is watching the film, R_E doesnt give you the cards. I guess the most accurate description would be somebody providing the finished screenplay & storyboard with concept art to a movie online before the movie is released - but that's still the sort of thing that gets film companies feeling litigious.

WotC deserve to have control over their own product and the teasers for it up to it going on general sale. R_E doesnt really have a leg to stand on."
Ok, great, we agree on the same thing.
*shrug*
Am I missing something?
*shakes head*

-HOUTS-
"Your weed must be better than mine-because I see things you don't"

G

Gizmo

You said you enjoyed spoilers and all businesses use them, and they do... but they control how those spoilers are released to the public. I was making the point that the spoilers weren't being put out by WotC to promote their product, nor that WotC shouldnt mind the spoilers as they are a form of promotion.

My argument is the opposite, namely that the spoilers deny WotC the chance to promote their product the way they would want to.

H

HOUTS

"You said you enjoyed spoilers and all businesses use them, and they do... but they control how those spoilers are released to the public. I was making the point that the spoilers weren't being put out by WotC to promote their product, nor that WotC shouldnt mind the spoilers as they are a form of promotion.

My argument is the opposite, namely that the spoilers deny WotC the chance to promote their product the way they would want to."
?
Am I missing something?
You forgot to read above:
HOUTS: "Anyhow, obviously, WOTC has a legitimate lawsuit because of illegal, or illegally used, information, pictures, and trademarking was used without their permission."
I was talking about the spoilers WOTC promotes. (on their website)
I wasn't promoting what rancored_elf did, as stated above.

-HOUTS-

Z

Zigathon

HOUTS said:
Hold on! You go to Pre-release tournaments?
Woooaaahhh hold up pardner'!

Even I don't go to those events.

You're no Casual Player, sir. Now, you're a Competitive Player. You've soiled the sanctity of basement and round-table games of the real Casual Players (TM)....
How dare you!
"Cripes! I was thinking this bit of news would put that debate on hold," chuckles Zigathon. :)

Supposedly, this whole suit isn't about the Guildpact spoiler, its about the "Snap" playtest cards that were shown a few months ago.
I also stand by my thoughts that its Hasbro putting Wizards up to this. I would think (hope) that WotC themselves would have waited until Monday to release this information. Unless its a PR stunt, which would explain why R_E himself wasn't notified.
Hasbro, on the other hand, doesn't give a **** about the players, only its profits. How many other companies have pulled stunts like this in the past? All hustle to the court without thought of the players.
I'm not going to the prerelease. The only one I've went to was Ravnica... and, sadly it looks like it may be the only one I go to.
Not because I want to boycott, in fact, I was invited to a party of fellow Magic players. After playing online for the past couple years... its going to be pretty groovy. However, this bit of news did have a hand in my decision.

G

Gizmo

Wasnt arguing with that bit. Stop looking for fights where there arent any.

H

HOUTS

"Wasnt arguing with that bit. Stop looking for fights where there arent any."

???
!
Honestly, are you smoking something?
*looks back*

Um, you were the one to point out something and then say "I am disagreeing" and I just let you know that you weren't reading/wrong/etc.

*chuckles*
You're one funny midget.

-HOUTS-

G

Gizmo

1. Where did I say I disagreed?

2. IF I was disagreeing (which I wasnt, I was making a point and counterpoint of my own expanding off a comment of yours) then why would disagreeing with one thing you said mean disagreeing with everything you said?

I repeat... stop looking for fights where there aren't any, Troll King.

Z

Zigathon

Heh heh heh... you think the Wizards office looked like a scene from John Carpenter's The Thing today?