Administrator
Staff member
The order of players is:

Chaos Turtle
rkoelsch
BigBlue
EricBess
Jigglypuff

DIAMONDS is trump again. PM me your bids and I'll post them before Chaos Turtle starts.

B

BigBlue

Are you picking at random, or are you burning the top card? In other words, does the fact that diamonds is trump indicate that there is one fewer Diamond available?

I'm an obvious card counter. . . Sorry.

B

BigBlue

so, as a card counter, what was burnt? in the real version don't we all get to see it?

Also, if the game is supposed to go 12 rounds, we'll be a card short then.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I was afraid someone was going to ask that. It was the 10 of Diamonds.

Last hand is a no-trump hand (as if a Jester would have been turned up).

E

EricBess

I figured you were burning the top card, but I figured that the "which" card was just something we were going to have to get used to not knowing since online play allows for different things that RL play never would.

For example, one thing I pointed out to Spidey is that in RL, each person gets to know what the people before him bid before actually bidding themselves. This allows a bit of additional information about relative strengths of hand, which gives later bidders an advantage (yet one more reason why the deal rotates, to spread this out). For example, if I have a half-decent hand with 3 cards and the bids prior to mine add up to 5, I may not be so confident that my 8 of trump is going to take a trick. In fact, it might be a better assumption that I'll be able to ditch it somewhere.

At any rate, it really doesn't matter whether or not we know what the burned card is, as long as we all are playing by the same rules. Yeah, on any given hand, it might be more important for one person than any other, based on their cards, but the odds are still always the same for everyone.

C

Chaos Turtle

I almost posted my first card before bids were posted! And I almost made a comment about playing without knowing other players bids! And I almost am telling the truth! (That edit post function...very helpful. :))

Anyways, I'm only on late at night( and verry early morning) and also usually during the early afternoon. This seems a bit noncoincidental with Spiderman's time on, so my bid won't post until later in the day (around 12-3 my time). I hope this isn't dragging the game too much, especially in rounds where I play first.

I'm going to PM Spidey my play this round so he can post it as early as appropriate. Hopefully that's OK with everyone.

R

rkoelsch

I was all set to play. Good thing you caught that. Now what was that play. the tension is building. I don't have a problem with your posts CT, speed is not my friend. This way I can be a nervous wreak just about the time I should play

R

rkoelsch

I take it we are waiting on Jigglepuff as I have seen everyone else post

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, Jigglypuff put in his bid. Here's how it stands:

EricBess: 0
Jigglypuff: 1
Chaos Turtle: 0
rkoelsch: 1
BigBlue: 2

Looks like someone's going down this turn....

As requested, Chaos Turtle leads off with the 8 of Hearts.

R

rkoelsch

You knowing the bids really sucks when the guy that bids 2 plays after you.

10 spades

J

Jigglypuff

Sorry to delay the game for a bit, but I was at marching band camp hanging out with a bunch of cute girls.

Anyway, I will play the 2 of Hearts.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hold up, no more posts or plays for a bit. There's been an apparent "playing violation". The game's on hold while I check it out...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, it's been resolved. EricBess actually had to play his 5 of Hearts in the first hand since Hearts was led. This is for you card counters :)

We now return you to your second hand in progress....

E

EricBess

My apologies to everyone. I missed the fact that Spidey had posted CT's play, so I saw rkoelsch's play and thought that spades had been led instead of hearts.

R

rkoelsch

Oh yeah blame it on me. You need to read Kibler's article on the sideboard ;)