Why the Elf hate??

T

TheCasualOblivion

see topic.

I've never found them that offensive. They burn real crispy

N

Notepad

Because they tend to be pulled out only when you're not playing hamburger helper. Murphy's Law.

"Hey, wanna play casual? I got this crappy deck I wanna test."

"Sure!" *pulls out elf deck*

"Okay, that sucked! Wanna play casual? I got this actually good deck!"

"Sure!" *puts away annoying cheesy elf deck and pulls out something powerful, but not annoying*

"Hey, where are your damned elves? I wanted to Earthquake them straight to hell!"

T

TheCasualOblivion

what are the keys to the "annoying" of the annoying elf deck. I'm wondering if mine qualifies.

N

Notepad

Your deck need only contain elves to be cheesy and annoying. ;)

Joking!

Actually, its the spamalicious stupidity of elves I hate. They overextend to the max, and *always* when you aren't playing any cards that would make them pay for it. Murphy's Law. Like I mentioned above, its when you're testing a junk version of a new arcbound deck or a samurai deck that suddenly your "friends" pull out the annoying elf brigade, and you're stuck without mass ping or removal. Argh!

I

Istanbul

Heh. Every deck I have can either say "Oh yeah? Mine are bigger." or "Hey, nice army. DIE."

J

jorael

It's the crazy synergy they create when opponents allow more than 2 elves to remain in play. Suddenly an elf player can gain oodles of mana and life and pump a creature up for a gazillion*.

I love them, but yeah, its a gamble: throw down a bunch of small critters and when no mass removal follows, do some crazy stuff.

*= and with cards like Glimpse of Nature, Skullclamp and Recycle also draw a gazillion cards...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did this get moved from someplace like Battle Arena or something? The topic seems like it's coming out of the blue here :)

Only one guy in my group has an elf deck. We try to kill the life gaining guys, but generally leave him alone unless he becomes real threatening; his guys are helpful in taking out other players' big guys like Ravager or something :) The one time it got down to the two of us, I had him stymied since he didn't have any fliers and I had a Windborn Muse and Worship in play and he couldn't get rid of the Muses :)

Ferret

Staff member
I used to love Elves (along w/ all of the Tribal critters) - and then, Onslaught Block came out and things became too easy to build theme decks. It seemed that every other player I faced on MTGO (and for a short time, me) was playing an Elf deck. They were easy to build, had instant synergy and could generate massive ammounts of mana, creatures, and life. It was everything Green is supposed to be about. I thought it was great - the first twenty times I played against it. Then it became old and predictable and boring...

-Ferret

"I still have a pre-MM Elf deck around - it's still fun to play"

Killer Joe

I played an Elf deck, especially made for multiplayer, back in July it had:
~Wirewood Channeller
~Pemmin's Aura
~Flamewave Invoker (I also had Fanning the Flames)

I killed everyone on turn SEVEN!

I usually don't like "Tribal" decks but I liked THIS one!

CHEESE! :D

T

TheCasualOblivion

I guess I kinda felt the way you guys felt when I built my Elf deck. I at least built it not to be brainless, though I did keep some of the cheese. I started out with the concept of G/B/U for a pure-Elf tribe deck. I wanted to build an Elf deck with Night's Whisper and Gaea's Skyfolk. Here it is:

Creatures--(34)

4 Birchlore Rangers
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Urborg Elf (wow, a G/U/B elf)
4 Elvish Warrior
3 Gaea's Skyfolk
3 Gempalm Strider (can't even count the wins from this guy)
4 Multani's Acolyte
4 Wellwisher
4 Heedless One

Spells--(11)
4 Night's Whisper
2 Dark Banishing
1 Terror
4 Consume Strength(A classic underrated card)

Land (18)
2 City of Brass
2 Underground River
2 Waterveil Cavern
12 Forest

Sure, you kind of rely on putting out a pile of elves, but this deck is a LOT faster than the average dumb elf deck. With the Birchlores, I can get 4 elves into play turn 2 easy. Heedless one is suitably big to deal with your opponents biggies. Wellwisher was actually left out of the original build, but snuck back in. I was playing the deck, and it always seemed like I wanted one. Its amazing how much they help even in an aggro deck like this. Also, I've been Quaked/Pyroclasm'd/Wrathed with this deck and unlike an Elf Deck, I've come back. I've got the Night's Whispers and Multani's Acolytes to get more cards and put my army right back out. I've turned a lot of games with Wellwisher (within 3 turns, my life goes from 4 to 18) Heedless one (8/8 Trample) and Gempalm Strider. Consume Strength also has been a star. I'm almost always finding it more useful than Dark Banishing and Terror.

J

jorael

Nice too see an aggro version.

Why night's whispers if you could go for blue card drawing?

D

DÛke

I hate Elves.

Because they are weak and pathetic. They're overrated and their sexuality is often questionable and suggestive. Maybe they think they're kinky. Who knows.

My favorite color is Black, and I love chewing on those creatures whenever I see them. It's a sad case when a single Infest or a mere Crypt Rats can make an entire army go bye-bye.

I have equal hatred towards Birds of Paradise and any "rainbow" natured creature. Even Azusa.

J

jorael

Originally posted by DÛke
I hate Elves.

Because they are weak and pathetic. They're overrated and their sexuality is often questionable and suggestive. Maybe they think they're kinky. Who knows.

My favorite color is Black, and I love chewing on those creatures whenever I see them. It's a sad case when a single Infest or a mere Crypt Rats can make an entire army go bye-bye.

I have equal hatred towards Birds of Paradise and any "rainbow" natured creature. Even Azusa.
Ever tried therapy?

;)

T

TheCasualOblivion

Originally posted by jorael
Nice too see an aggro version.

Why night's whispers if you could go for blue card drawing?
Tempo reasons. Blue doesn't have draw 2 for 2 mana. I like to play Night's Whisper and follow it by playing the cards I drew with. I've been actually considering adding some blue card drawing on top of the 4 Night's whispers.

M

Mikeymike

I have nothing against elves, in fact I've got an aggro/utlity-elf deck myself.

Loose decklist (off the top o me head)

4 Llanowar
4 Priests of Titania
4 Wellwisher
2 Caller of the Claw
2 Heedless one (foil baby)
1 Taunting Elf (Techie McTechface)
1 Wirewood Hivemaster
1 Elvish Vanguard (the one who grows)
1 Seeker of Skybreak
1 Timberwatch elf
1 Viridian Zealot
1 Glissa Sunseeker
1 Elvish Lyrist

4 Skyshroud Poachers
3 Elvish Spampion
2 Genesis (no pitch mechanism, I just put it out there to die)

3 Coat of Arms
2 Naturalize
1 Tribal Unity

2 Gaea's Cradle
2 Wirewood Lodge
2 Yavimaya Hollow
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
13 Forestidos

Rolls over to Wrath of Gods in annoying fashion, which is why I've got Genesis/Callers in the deck. They help a lot. Skyshroud Poacher can do ugly tricks, and Genesis can give me little loops.

Playing against elves I've never had any severe problems. I mean, they've beaten me before, and I've beaten them. Wizards, Zombies, Goblins, and Clerics are all far more annoying to play against IMO.

I

Istanbul

So deep in the closet, he's finding Christmas presents. :D

Ferret

Staff member
The only thing I've used Elves for is to augment decks. In my Thalid deck I used Elvish Farmers because they produced more Saprolings, but I could sac them for life....

...but my favourite use for Elves has always been mana. Simple enough. Back in its days it was one of the more dominant in my group. Unfortunately, it's 6500 miles away so I'll have to type from memory:

Critters
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndlorn Elves (their Ice Age clones)
4 Craw Wurms (6 cc)
4 of those Wurms from Ice Age (forget the name) (7 cc)
4 Crash of Rhinos (8 cc)
4 other large wurms whose name I can't remember (6 cc)
4 Wurms w/ a cc of 5 mana

Utility
4 Giant Growths
4 Seedling Charms (amazingly powerful in this deck)
2 Sylvan Libraries
1 Regrowth
1 Feldon's Cane

Land
20 Forests (this would be later trimmed to 16 when more mana producers were added ini a later version)

(Please note this deck was built during the Mirage block)

The deck was simple:
T1: Forest, Elf
T2: Forest, play three Elves (or attack w/ first elf if you don't have enough of them to cast)
T3: Forest, cast first of the big critters. No matter what your opponent has up to this point, he'll be on defense and it's going to start getting ugly fast.

The deck had a habit of winning duels by turn six and it made life interesting in multiplayer as I would usually just pound one player into submission and move onto the next. The only way to beat it was to gang up against it.

-Ferret

"It wasn't my idea, though. A person who sold me 20 lavendar coloured life counters gave it to me"

N

Notepad

They're overrated and their sexuality is often questionable and suggestive. Maybe they think they're kinky. Who knows.
Word.

What more can I say? Word up to the bruthah!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret: No Craw Giant? They cost the same as Craw Wurm (I think, maybe 1 cc more) but get the rampage and trample. And they were in Chronicles, so they were around during Mirage. Unless you were keeping to a Wurm theme?

D

DÛke

So deep in the closet, he's finding Christmas presents.
Sounds like something Jack from Will & Grace would say. You've always reminded me of him. :D