Whoa...what's happenin' man?

How awesome is it?

• Fantastically awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Incredibly awesome!

• Insanely Awesome!

• I declare today Official Ed Sullivan Appreciation Day!

• Not at all awesome as I wouldn't know awesome if it crept up and juked me in the a---

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
C

Chaos Turtle

Is it just me or does this place look a lot different all of a sudden?

Must just be me.

I think it loads a bit faster though.

Ya know... I think I like it!

YEAH!

D

DÛke

We're...we're...

...is this...real? are we in the matrix? is this...could this be...the real world?

J

jorael

Great poll options... :rolleyes:

I think I actually like the old style more. Yeah. The way it is right now is the same as Misetings and Salvation. I find it more distracting.

Can't it be a different kind of color scheme?! Blue is done everywhere....

Is Spiderman trying some new stuff out, or Ed? (that's one of the founders, right?) Trying something different is cool. What do others think about the new lay-out? (if that's the right word)

C

Chaos Turtle

The answers to your questions:

Right now I think this is the only color scheme available. I'm asking about other options.

The update was done by Ed, who is not just a Founder but also the guy whom we have to thank for the site in the first place.

R

Reverend Love

It'll take some getting use too but eeh, it's still a message board. :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
The way it is right now is the same as Misetings and Salvation.
Ha, I called it. Though with a different site in mind... :)

The reason it's the same is that it's the default vBulletin skin. Which is the program I develop for a living. So basically, they stole the theme from us because technically we had it first. ;)

M

Mikeymike

Ed Sullivan said:
Ha, I called it. Though with a different site in mind... :)

The reason it's the same is that it's the default vBulletin skin. Which is the program I develop for a living. So basically, they stole the theme from us because technically we had it first. ;)
You actually develop the vBulletin boards themselves? Impressive, I had not realized that.

I'm definitely cool with it. It too soon for me to tell if/where it is strictly better or worse, but I don't mind change :D. It gives the CPA a fresh face, and I think that is a good thing.

I hope its stable though. The previous version ran like a Honda engine.

O

orgg

While some of the things I do like from this kind of thing... I prefered the more squat version.

A LOT more. Just please, don't do avatars, and slim down the buttons for 'post reply' and everything else as they were.

Large images in forums just arn't good.

Oh-- and the Javascrypt name thingy... Please, if you can, turn it off? Very small buttons for the functions just work better on crappy computers like mine.

EDIT: Browsing the forum, I've realized the larger and less streamlined forum thread titles make everything much larger... and not as neat-and-compact. Shrinking the 'buffer' of dead space would be nice... and getting back the old icons would be really nice.

N

Notepad

This is obviously a better version of the vb software. I'm all for it. It means there's more options for stuff, should the admins or Ed wish to allow them. Plus, the quick reply form is something that's been sorely lacking. I mightily enjoy this new design!

Thanks a million, Ed!

N

Nightstalkers

Okay... first off I'd like to ask WHERE THE HELL AM I?!?!?!

Now that I've gotten that off my chest.... Really, which message board did I just walk into?

And... Why does this place give me vertigo?

This new layout is.. well.. It kinda scares me... I kinda dislike the layout... ugh... reminds me of MTGnews...

N

Notepad

Ooooh! It *does* look kind of like MTGNews, don't it? Like, the bare bones forum look.

Of course, to actually look like MTGNews/Salvation, we'd need EVERY post to be nothing but a spam billboard of ten thousand images of poor card art, female celebrities, and cats. And throw in a dancing banana or rabbit or piece of poo, times another two thousand. *then* we'd look like them, kind of.

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm certainly enjoying it. There seems to be a lot more flexibility with certain forum options.

If avatars were allowed (and I don't know that they will be; I'm not expecting them to be) there would also be the option to turn them off. Have you used the new Advanced Text Editor? If you don't like the WYSIWYG interface, you can change the style of editor back to the old one -- handy when you need to see how your many vB tags are nesting.

I'm asking about other options, just waiting for the okay...and maybe a little instruction. ;)

N

Nightstalkers

Notepad said:
Of course, to actually look like MTGNews/Salvation, we'd need EVERY post to be nothing but a spam billboard of ten thousand images of poor card art, female celebrities, and cats. And throw in a dancing banana or rabbit or piece of poo, times another two thousand. *then* we'd look like them, kind of.
Oh... so kinda like having me, Train, and Sefro just posting and everyone else sitting by and watching?

N

Notepad

Nightstalkers said:
Oh... so kinda like having me, Train, and Sefro just posting and everyone else sitting by and watching?
Yes, exactly, Night Stalker S. Except with images! Oh, lots and LOTS of images....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely different, but I'm sure it'll grow on me :)

Stuff like this I can't do; I can only do "cosmetic" stuff like what I do before. Although I should probably try and learn, if I had the time...

J

jorael

It looks good indeed. If different colors are possible, I would be a supporter of that. It would give CPA a certain distinction.

Ferret

Staff member
Killer Joe said:
I still kinda miss the orange & black theme. :cool:

But I like this!
THANK YOU! I'm glad that I'm still not alone in this thought. If anything, some different colours wouldn't be bad - maybe a different colour schem for each forum group (there are four of them in Magic besides Blue).

As for Avatars, I would have to say a huge NO! I've seen sites that use Avatars (as well as banners in sig lines - ironic, no?) and it wasn't pretty. It's bad enough that some of the sigs that we have here are ten times the size of our posts. Throw in huge avatar pics and banners at the bottome of each of them...

-Ferret

"My load times are bad enough as it is..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at last count, Ed was firmly against bringing back the orange/black color scheme (when the site changed to the look before this). He could have changed his mind of course, but I would think if he was for it he would have brought it back now instead of the current color.

I don't care either way; I'll go with anything. And maybe you guys just like posting your preference anyway :) I'm just saying don't get your hopes up too much :)