who likes Linkin Park?

What is your favorite American Linkin park single?

• One Step Closer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crawling

• In the end

• Total voters

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't feel that he was putting down other people, rather, just certain bands.

Ain't no different than people putting down Pokeman or whatever a while ago... :)

H

Hetemti

I heard a song by them titled With You

The opening sound was good, but nothing new.
The word began. The echo/BG effect was nice.
Then some looser with no voice started yelling for no reason, and my ears were offended.
The music began again with good tempo talking and happy echo.
Then said looser decided to ruin it again with needless yelling, and strike two was logged.
I waited 30 seconds, and the music hadn't returned. Apparently the need for vile screaming had infected other band members, preventing them from singing.
The song faded.

Quite disappointing.

D

DÛke

...Ademis, those are called the "principles of argument." There’re only 2 possible ways to make your argument stronger: shoot wholes in as many opposing arguments by providing facts that weaken those arguments; and/or, you could provide facts about your own argument, proving its strength over the others.

Arhar, and everyone else, follows those rules. Simply, they're the only rules. Whether you know it or not, Ademis, you have to have done that yourself sometimes as well. You just can't avoid it. :)

T

terzarima

I've never had a side to this argument (Being the one on linkin Park or the commercialization of music), I only have an opinion.

So DÛke, what do you say to that?

*Goes back to lurking*

A

Apollo

I don't think that Arhar's doing anything wrong. He just gave his opinion about a couple bands, and they happened to differ from the opinions of most people. He's brought down bands (but everybody has done their fair share of bringing things down at some point), and he's promoted others.

Arhar, perhaps you're right about "elevator music." I've never been deeply into music. I just like to listen to something when I do my homework, or take out the trash, or do some reading. So it's mostly background entertainment to me, and I could really care less if they put their soul into it. But that's me.

A

arhar

Ahehhee. It's so nice when there's a lot of healthy controversy.

Duke:

And that would lead us to the main question. Exactly, a particular type of music is good to whom? Each person will have his or her own taste. I don't believe there's a total standard.

And another thing to prove my point, I never heard of any of the bands you listed. Though you do claim that they're great, and I totally believe you -- they're great in your point of view. I might listen to one of them, and think otherwise.
Right, that's true except you're talking about GENRES of music - some people like rock, some people like jazz, some people like both - it's all good. But there's also such thing as good music and bad music, which is not a subjective, but an objective concept.

One of the biggest projects I listen to is Enigma, which started in 1991, and is still alive. They sold more than 36 million albums since then. They won an award for being "the most successful German music project by a German group," and have been greatly announced as the world's most international music, and even more, the most motivated and innovative music of all time. Here's the case, you probably haven't ever heard of Enigma, and I'm almost sure you wouldn't like their music. Does that mean they're bad? Maybe -- bad to you.
Actually, I'm quite well aware of Enigma - by no means I've heard everything by them, but the songs "Sadeness" and "Return to Innocence" are awesome. Enigma is good stuff :)
I wouldn't call them extremely innovative - some underground bands been doing the same thing for years - but they are the first ones to bring that into mainstream.

And one more thing...I happen to think that Shakira could sing.
Sorry to hear that :D

Ademis:

Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that Arhar is trying to define himself by putting down other people? I beleive Arhar, the only reason you don't like that music is that you don't want to define yourself as a follower or someone that can connect with the general majority.
No, I think I'm well beyond the rebellion years - "Get a body piercing! Express your individuality and be like all your friends!"
I haven't attacked anybody here personally - just the bands. And I really, really don't need to define myself any more that I'm already defined.

If you truely like something, you don't put other music down to elevate it, you just try to promote it by saying:" Hey this is good music, you should try listening to it sometime" And I'm sure, on the contrary to your opinions, that other people would agree that most of your bands are 100% act too, no originallity there.
Huh? Most of the bands I listen to are 100% act? Care to provide any actual proof? And to answer the first part, I gave up on trying to "convert" people to my musical tastes a long time ago - it's just too complicated for almost everybody to handle, and I'm not trying to sound self-important, I'm just stating the facts. Download the mp3 called "Reconciliation" by the band Pain of Salvation if you're honestly looking for something with more substance than MTV stuff.

Spiderman

I didn't feel that he was putting down other people, rather, just certain bands.

Apollo

I don't think that Arhar's doing anything wrong. He just gave his opinion about a couple bands, and they happened to differ from the opinions of most people. He's brought down bands (but everybody has done their fair share of bringing things down at some point), and he's promoted others.

Arhar, perhaps you're right about "elevator music." I've never been deeply into music. I just like to listen to something when I do my homework, or take out the trash, or do some reading. So it's mostly background entertainment to me, and I could really care less if they put their soul into it. But that's me.
Exacty. That's what I'm trying to say - there's nothing wrong with that. I could draw an analogy between music and say, Star Wars. There's people who like Star Wars - they just enjoy the movies. And then there's insane fanatics who buy all the merchandise, all the books, movies, stand in the lines 4 months before tickets go on sale, etc. When it comes to music, people who just casually listen to whatever sounds good are the first type, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I'm the second type :)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Speaking of Star Wars and music, John Williams is a ripoff artist. All of the music he writes fits into one of three categories:

1) The big happy trumpet-laden heroic music a.k.a. the "we're winning" music.

2) The slower, snare drummish battle music a.k.a. the "we're losing" music.

3) Stolen stuff.

T

terzarima

Yeah... I think he took the melody of star wars off Dvorak's Third movement of "New World Symphony"....

Oh, and arhar, can you prove that other bands are 100% act?

D

Dead

Hetemi Said:

I heard a song by them titled With You

The opening sound was good, but nothing new.
The word began. The echo/BG effect was nice.
Then some looser with no voice started yelling for no reason, and my ears were offended.
The music began again with good tempo talking and happy echo.
Then said looser decided to ruin it again with needless yelling, and strike two was logged.
I waited 30 seconds, and the music hadn't returned. Apparently the need for vile screaming had infected other band members, preventing them from singing.
The song faded.

Quite disappointing.

Whilst personally i think that having the two different vocal styles is what makes Linkin Park that bit more versatile than other acts of similar approach, i'll admit that Chester's screaming can sometimes be off-putting.

The band was originally called Hybrid Theory, before he joined, and you can find some tracks on mp3.com for them under that name. I just had a quick browse and couldn't find the one i was going to recommend- "My December" - but i'm sure it's on there / AudioGalaxy etc.

For people waiting for a new album, i'd advise looking for some of their earlier stuff that was on the promo cut but didn't make the album. Carousel and High Voltage are pretty good, Esal is an alternative version of A place for my Head, and the aforementioned MyDecember is very different from their usual but the track that got me sufficiently hooked to acquire the album.

A

Almindhra

No one should talk about Chris Cornell....He sucks, and is greasy...

:mad: