Which is Better: Burger King or McDonald's?

T

train

Fries with too much salt are bad - but I've had some with not enough as well...

Training consistency is not something they found very feasible with humans involved (though they still try...) hence, all the automation to make things more efficient and consistent.

The mustard and Ketchup applicators are good examples...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess;289740 said:
Oversoul. It's sort of like if train had ased "which do you prefer, 'Yu-Gi-Oh' or 'Pokemon'?" (your next idea, train? :D). Clearly, this is a Magic site, so most people here prefer Magic, but the two options are actually the highest grossing card games of all time.
Well, I'd have said "Pokemon" in that case. :p

But a while back I would have said "Magic." Even though I've loved the Pokemon Gameboy games since I first played them (not long after I started playing Magic, actually), I used to be a staunch detractor of the card game because I saw it as a dumbed down version of Magic that was getting all the attention by cashing in on the success of the games. That and it forced WotC to sell out to Hasbro (I don't know that this is, strictly speaking, true, but at the time I thought so). So yeah, I'd have said "Magic" even though that was not the idea of the poll. Not sure what that makes me. Obstinate?

Also, are they really the top two grossing CCGs? I mean, I remember Pokemon eclipsing Magic, but I thought Magic reclaimed the #1 spot again at some point after the Pokemon craze settled down. But I don't know if anyone is even publishing the numbers for CCG sales, so I really have no idea. I'd be interested to know.

I think a lot of the difference is marketing to kids. Both McDs and BK have very juvenile skewing ads. (Okay, so does Carl's Jr., but that's more of an adult juvenile :p). Parents pay a lot of money to keep their kids happy.

BTW - concerning McD's fries. I've had some very awful batches that were greasy, so the consistency needs work, but when they are crisp, they are very good.
Ah, maybe it was a bad batch that I was remembering then. I mean, I'm sure that has to happen to everyone sometime.

Even though they're not my favorite for fast food in general, for fries, I just might rate Arby's (yeah, I know, it's not Burger King or McDonald's) number one (out of large fast food chains anyway, not counting diners or anything like that).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train;289745 said:
Fries with too much salt are bad - but I've had some with not enough as well...

Training consistency is not something they found very feasible with humans involved (though they still try...) hence, all the automation to make things more efficient and consistent.

The mustard and Ketchup applicators are good examples...
True enough, I was talking about their overall quality, not certain batches here and there... 'cause if it was like that overall, then obviously their fries wouldn't rate as high :)

I don't know about the human factor being taken out of making fries; I see an employee dunk the fryer, raise it, throw it in the fry bin, and add the shake of salt or whatever...

T

train

really?... The ones I've seen have the employees dump the bag of fries into a big plastic dispenser. The dispenser fills the baskets appropriately. The employee places the basket over the fryer and presses a button. The timer starts and the basket drops mechanically, then raises at the right time when done. The fries are then dumped by hand in the fry bin and some salt sprinkled/poured, etc.

So all I see the employee affecting really is the salt on them.

Edit - after-thought... I guess its up to the level the franchisee wants to spend on the equipment...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We pretty much said the same thing, only thing is who dunks the fryer, the employeee or machine... but since we were initially talking about the salt level, we seem to both agree that it's still human involvement in it.

E

EricBess

Oversoul;289758 said:
Also, are they really the top two grossing CCGs? I mean, I remember Pokemon eclipsing Magic, but I thought Magic reclaimed the #1 spot again at some point after the Pokemon craze settled down. But I don't know if anyone is even publishing the numbers for CCG sales, so I really have no idea. I'd be interested to know.
The numbers you saw were probably for hobby stores, where Pokemon did pass Magic for a while, but Magic is frequently on top. Much of that depended on release schedule, though, since the numbers were monthly. If you look at overall numbers, though, Magic sells relatively nothing in mass retail stores such as Target or WallMart and Pokemon and YuGiOh sell numbers there that Magic has never come close to touching.

T

train

Yeah - the shelf space in those stores for Magic is dwindling... It used to be upwards of 2-3 facings per item - but is now down to 1