Which is Better: Burger King or McDonald's?

T

train

Maybe these should be in the Voting forum - but it says "informal, magic related..."

I couldn't change the title of my other one after it posted - so I am naming appropriately now...

The only thing holding the edge for me at McD's anymore is the Chicken Nuggets... so McD's here... but man - the new 1/4lb. dollar cheeseburger at Burger King is well worth the $1...:rolleyes:

R

rokapoke

At my weight, I should say neither...

I'm a sucker for the McDonald's vanilla milkshake. And the fries.

But I prefer the Whopper at Burger King, sandwich-wise.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the Voting forum is really just for Magic stuff, so here is fine for this stuff...

I'd say Burger King, I just have a better impression of their food. McD's has the best fries and maybe nuggets, but I like the burgers better at Burger King. I love McD's Steak and Egg Cheese Bagel breakfast, but since Burger King offers crossiants, I think their breakfast is better overall.

You should add the "third" choice, Wendy's... :)

E

EricBess

I like the Chicken Snack Wraps at McDs and that I know of BK doesn't have any equivalent. I'm not a big fan of BKs chicken sandwitches compared to McDs and since I don't really do burgers near that often. Plus, I greatly prefer McD's fries.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I prefer Burger King. The Whopper value meal with onion rings will forever remain my favorite fast food meal. But my wife prefers McDonalds and it's a lot closer, so we eat there a lot more often.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I haven't eaten at either place in many years.... but when I was a teenager, I loved the 1/4 pounder with just salt...... Kids have no taste buds....
5 Guys burgers are very good..... my wife likes Arby's.

E

EricBess

Good point, turgy - if I do eat at BK, I do like their onion rings. I think I still prefer McD's fries overall, but I do like variety as well.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I suppose I should add that between the two of them, Burger King is at least tolerable. I haven't been able to stand anything from McDonald's other than their soft-serve for years. Which reminds me, Dairy Queen. Also, Carl's Junior. For that matter, Jack-in-the-Box. Wendy's.

Kind of odd that there's a thread about which is better between the two worst fast-food chains in the world.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Oversoul;289714 said:
the two worst fast-food chains in the world
If by "worst" you mean "most successful."

Say what you will about the food, McDonald's is the model of a successful fast food franchise and BK isn't far behind. Cheap, marketable food, prepared quickly and unique enough to develop a huge following. Is it good for you? Mostly, no. Is it tasty? Mostly, yes, though obviously it ain't fine dining. Carl's Jr, Jack-in-the-Box, Wendy's, In-and-Out Burger, um, Dairy Queen (seriously?) ... sure, a lot of people prefer them over the big 2, but millions more people are choosing McDonald's & Burger King, instead.

Fact is, when you think of the top two fast food places, you think of McDonald's and Burger King. And there's a reason for that. It's like having someone start a Black Lotus vs. Ancestral Recall discussion and chiming in that you prefer Umezawa's Jitte. It's a fine card, but it's not (nor should it be) in the discussion.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22;289715 said:
If by "worst" you mean "most successful."
Most successful at duping lots and lots of people into buying nearly inedible junk? Why yes.

Say what you will about the food, McDonald's is the model of a successful fast food franchise and BK isn't far behind.
Well yeah, but I was talking about food. If it's about how much money they've made, then obviously McDonald's is #1. And Coke is #1 for the other thread. I didn't think we were talking about that because it's relatively uninteresting and easily verifiable.

Cheap, marketable food, prepared quickly and unique enough to develop a huge following. Is it good for you? Mostly, no. Is it tasty? Mostly, yes, though obviously it ain't fine dining.
See, that's one thing I never understood. Okay, so I can't speak for hamburgers. I like beef, but not if it's too fatty and I've always generally disliked ground beef for the most part and never cared for hamburgers at all. But I do like chicken tenders, chicken sandwiches, French fries, milkshakes, etc. And I don't get how people seriously think McDonald's food tastes good. I can't stand most of it. I'm not a food snob. Burger King, sure, it's not the best, but it's something to eat. I used to go there every once in a while some years ago when the rest of my family would get KFC (because the KFC stuff was too greasy for me). And then more recently at my last job because it was just down the street and sometimes I needed a quick meal before or after work. Not fine dining, but it's not bad either. McDonald's though, just seems to not even be fit for human consumption. I'd rather go hungry than eat there.

Oh, also I see some people mentioning that McDonald's has good fries. I can't help but wonder if I'm remembering that wrong because it's been a really long time since I had fries there. I mean, I'm not picky about fries. I can't think of any place I've eaten where I disliked the fries, except years ago and I thought they were McDonald's. They were massively greasy and way oversalted and disgusting, but it's been so long that I might just be associating those fries with McDonald's because I don't like McDonald's food in general. So I suppose I'd better reserve my opinion on their fries. They seem to look like normal fries.

Carl's Jr, Jack-in-the-Box, Wendy's, In-and-Out Burger, um, Dairy Queen (seriously?)
Yes, seriously. What's wrong with Dairy Queen? Their fries are as good or better than Burger King's. They have hot dogs and Burger King doesn't. They have shrimp baskets. And then there are blizzards, which are more enjoyable than anything else any fast food restaurant has to offer that I can think of and...wait a minute. You're from Texas. I hear that they're kind of weird about Dairy Queen. Hm...

... sure, a lot of people prefer them over the big 2, but millions more people are choosing McDonald's & Burger King, instead.
And you really can't think of anything that's really popular that you think sucks despite its apparent popularity? I bet you can.

Fact is, when you think of the top two fast food places, you think of McDonald's and Burger King. And there's a reason for that. It's like having someone start a Black Lotus vs. Ancestral Recall discussion and chiming in that you prefer Umezawa's Jitte. It's a fine card, but it's not (nor should it be) in the discussion.
No, it's nothing like that! Black Lotus and Ancestral Recall aren't even popular, except in the sense that they're overpowered cards that have taken on legendary status by virtue of being so unobtainable to most players and simultaneously so powerful for so many years (and also in the sense that they're popular choices for decks in Vintage tournaments, but whatever). I'm sure Jitte actually sees more use just because it's more available, even though it's actually less well-known. Unlike that example, McDonald's and Burger King are the most popular and are also the most available.

Also, Carl's Junior.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You'd have to ask train why he picked those two as the comparison but turgy22 pretty much nailed it - they're the top two fast food restaurants in the world and you can find them anywhere. No one said anything about the food quality, just which one do you prefer given those two.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Oversoul;289716 said:
You're from Texas.
This is news to me.

Anyway, I enjoyed your rant, but this is just one of those instances where the top two competitors in this area just stand so far above the rest of the competition that comparing them is natural. Much like the Coke vs. Pepsi, which would probably be the best example. I used the Black Lotus vs. Ancestral Recall thing because I was trying to come up with other examples and I couldn't think of anything else and since this is a Magic site, I thought that fit, but that's more of a "best card" debate - not which one someone would prefer.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Burger King, no question. The burgers are better. The fries are better. The chicken is better. Everything is better (except the prices, for the most part).

Anyone who says Carl's Junior/Hardee's is looking for a fight...

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

train

Really - these are just odds and ends to get some decent activity rolling... And so far, they are just neat to read through, and even see some discussions form from them...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22;289725 said:
This is news to me.
I totally read your post as coming from Train, which is apparently what happens when I try to post while simultaneously doing German homework? I either caught his name at the top of the thread or in my own imagination. One of the two.

E

EricBess

Oversoul. It's sort of like if train had ased "which do you prefer, 'Yu-Gi-Oh' or 'Pokemon'?" (your next idea, train? :D). Clearly, this is a Magic site, so most people here prefer Magic, but the two options are actually the highest grossing card games of all time.

I think a lot of the difference is marketing to kids. Both McDs and BK have very juvenile skewing ads. (Okay, so does Carl's Jr., but that's more of an adult juvenile :p). Parents pay a lot of money to keep their kids happy.

BTW - concerning McD's fries. I've had some very awful batches that were greasy, so the consistency needs work, but when they are crisp, they are very good.