Which Artifact you want to see reprinted?

D

DarthFerret

No no no no no ...... you guys are all crazy! I say reprint......Forcefield!

L

Lythand

Over powered.

And for all those people who spent Lots of money to get the moxes, when you reprint them, it means more of that card type in circulation, so for people like me who are wanting them types of cards, and not worried about the set, I would pay for the cheaper reprint then the originaly.

This a long story short, it lowers the value of the originals.

R

reco5151216

I understand that less Moxes equals more value, but I thought Wizard want to make a monopoly on the cards, they are not the ones making the money off of Moxes so wouldn't they feel encouraged to cut the price down by reprinting them?

D

DarthFerret

Possibly reco, however, by keeping a few cards (eg. the power nine) as near unattainable, it keeps some mystique about the game, and can give some people goals to attain in life. If a person becomes hooked on something enough that they will go out of thier way to pay $500 + for one card, what is the problem of paying $3 + a pack of each set that gets developed. Plus, I will always maintain that the first 300 card set (A/B/U) defined the power limits and main characteristics of the game, and that nothing should be done to exceed these limitations, and that reprinting some of those would be detrimental to tournament play (we may not care, but I am sure Wizards cares a great deal about tournament players). I personally, don't think much has been done to exceed these limitation (although some combos can push the envelope, but I am talking about single cards and thier solo effects!). I also know that even with these powerful cards, a person has to learn what they are doing or even the best cards in the world will not help them. For my final point (getting long here aint I?), I would like to point out that reprinting the cards like moxes, lotus, and the rest of the power nine, takes away a bit of the challenge in building a deck, and would also ruin a lot of drafting tournaments (what if someone happened to draft one lotus and 2 moxes? would that be fair?).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously it's never going to happen so all of this is hypothetical but...

I believe there would be a small benefit in reprinting the Power 9. More people would have access to the cards and thus feel like they can play in a Vintage tournament (whether that's warranted or not) and thus there are more players for the game.

However, I think the costs outweigh the benefit. Mainly because the artifact mana just messes with the development curve - so many cards would be "broken" today if they could easily be cast on turn 1 (which is a main reason why they haven't been reprinted). And it lowers the original's value (which IS a partial reason why WOTC won't reprint them - after all, this is a collectable card game). But the first is the main reason, I believe.

L

Limited

I don't think they'll ever reprint the power nine..

And I would like to see Triasic Egg reprinted (in an expansion set)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
And it lowers the original's value (which IS a partial reason why WOTC won't reprint them - after all, this is a collectable card game). But the first is the main reason, I believe.
Yeah, I used to dislike it when they reprinted certain cards, especially with different artwork. "They reprinted Coat of Arms? Lame." But now I'd be perfectly willing to potentially lower the collectable value of a card by reprinting it, and not just because I don't own any Power 9 cards. If they instead reprinted all the good cards I own, I wouldn't care. The game was never an investment to me, and the people who do make it an investment need to remember that it's a CARD GAME (are you crazy, or what?) and not stocks or whatnot.

And besides, the cards that I've seen reprinted haven't historically suffered large drops in value now that they were available in other sets. Then again, those cards weren't worth hundreds of dollars.

But mainly, my rationale for saying that I'd welcome reprints of the old cards is that I think giving everyone equal access to good cards makes the game better. If one opponent can Mana Drain my spells with a Mox Sapphire and an Underground Sea while another opponent can't even afford Demonic Tutor (I am somewhere in between), there's an imbalance that no amount of deckbuilding skill or playtesting can alleviate.

And yes, this is purely hypothetical. Something drastic would have to change for the cards on the reserved list to be reprinted.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I remember reading when Chronicles came out, the corresponding Legends dropped about 50% in value.

Like I said, I somewhat agree with your rationale, but also there is the aspect of trading and collectable part of the game. And there's always people getting out - look at Jigglypuff. And there's probably the "idea" of why should people who got in early and got the cards be "penalized"? Like I said, there's a small benefit to reprinting the cards but I think WOTC thinks the cons outweigh them.

R

reco5151216

I Love You guys, I posted a similar question a while back on a different board and got flamed hardcore....they spewed BS about Antitrust/Competition Laws. Which really was BS considering I don't get how reprinting cards(or revamping graphics on an old game a republishing it) would be an unfair business practice. But I digress. You guys are really cool.

On topic The Fallen Empires mana storage lands.

L

Lythand

I would have to agree with Ferret. I am a tourny player as well, and Wizards have been trying hard to bring balance back to the game. A more of a randomness to winning rather then one metagame deck conquering the tournament scene. And moxes would totally upset that balance.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Spiderman said:
I remember reading when Chronicles came out, the corresponding Legends dropped about 50% in value.

Like I said, I somewhat agree with your rationale, but also there is the aspect of trading and collectable part of the game. And there's always people getting out - look at Jigglypuff. And there's probably the "idea" of why should people who got in early and got the cards be "penalized"? Like I said, there's a small benefit to reprinting the cards but I think WOTC thinks the cons outweigh them.
4th ed. didn't help any either, when they reprinted Spirit Link, and Killer Bees. I remember a store owner back then that was VERY upset that the chase-worthy (at the time) Spirit Links he had for sale @$35 were suddenly worth only about 5 bucks.

VERY upset...lol

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I remember that too. However, I was glad to get them since I missed out on the original expansion... same with Chronicles, except I was sorry I got a box since it was a relatively small set and I ended up with loads of cards that I didn't want THAT much (like 7+ Fountain of Youths or something).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From what I see, the actual Mox Pearl card wasn't reprinted, but rather a piece of jewelry representing a Mox Pearl was commissioned as a prize...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Lythand said:
Wizards have been trying hard to bring balance back to the game. A more of a randomness to winning rather then one metagame deck conquering the tournament scene. And moxes would totally upset that balance.
It seems that whenever this issue comes up, that sentiment comes up. Moxes are already in Vintage tournaments and they (along with other expensive cards) are virtually required in order to compete. The cards in question are banned in Legacy, so it wouldn't affect that environment. And they would not have to be Standard or Extended legal. Sets have been printed in the past without being added to the Standard cardpool. So, if the reprinted cards are only legal in "Eternal" formats, there is NO change whatsoever to the precious balance of your tournaments. It would probably improve the balance of Vintage/Legacy by making them accessible to a greater number of players.

Concerns about the value of the old cards or the collectible nature of the game are valid (even if I disagree with them). But the issue of maintaining a balance in tournament play is a moot point.

H

HOUTS

This is an easy one: Juggernaut.
Not overlypowered, but yet a creature that is a legitmate (if not funny) threat.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I play him our playgroup chants his name.

"Juggggerrnnnaut!"
"Jugggerrrnnauuut!'

HOUTS

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
It seems that whenever this issue comes up, that sentiment comes up. Moxes are already in Vintage tournaments and they (along with other expensive cards) are virtually required in order to compete. The cards in question are banned in Legacy, so it wouldn't affect that environment. And they would not have to be Standard or Extended legal. Sets have been printed in the past without being added to the Standard cardpool. So, if the reprinted cards are only legal in "Eternal" formats, there is NO change whatsoever to the precious balance of your tournaments. It would probably improve the balance of Vintage/Legacy by making them accessible to a greater number of players.

Concerns about the value of the old cards or the collectible nature of the game are valid (even if I disagree with them). But the issue of maintaining a balance in tournament play is a moot point.
See here for a player's view of (at least) his local Vintage scene. It reinforces my perception that the P9 is not required to compete.

L

Lythand

Oversoul said:

Your point is noted, however crack open a phonebook and make a call to ever comic shop in your area and ask them first if they have sanctioned tournaments. If so ask them what format. I would be willing to bet 99 percent of them are going to say Standard only. Then maybe..just maybe extended. Vintage and legacy sanctioned tournaments are very rare on a consistant basis. So since there is a much greater emphasis on T2, I would say my point is very valid.

I will say however that although power 9 are..well..powerful..wizards in the past few sets have been adding cards that will dismantle cards of the oldersets. So..it can essentially be any persons game. My claim however is not that if you have power nine..you win..My claim is if you are using power nine..you have a much greater chance..then the average Joe. It really comes donw to your play skills and and deck making ability. And I can vouch for it. I once played a non santioned tourny against a guy who was well known for playing power nine decks. He would win ever local event. Beating me many of times. I finally put my mind to some really hard decking building. Came up with a Yagawmoths Bargain deck were round one I beat him in 2 turns..and inround 2, once I got the deck rolling..He just scooped.

And what set besides Unhinged and Unglued have been reprinted and not legal for T2. For the longest time its been nothing but T2 legalization for a new set for a standard 2 years.