What type of deck would you create......

W

WickedBoy6

I wouldn't say Serra Angel is the BEST, but definitely good on offense (4-power flying) & defense (4-defense always untapped). Warrior Angel (3/4 Flying, when it deals damage, gain that much life) could work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train: You must have your settings set to a lower page count than I. I get a new page after every 30 posts :)

WickedBoy6: Isn't there even another angel, in Onslaught maybe, that does what Warrior Angel does and some more?

T

train

*Will check on seeing if I can change this...*

Edit: Wow!!!... that's kind of cool!!!...

W

WickedBoy6

Oh, you meant Exalted Angel (4/5 Flying, when it deals damage, gain that much life, Morph). Yeah, that would work better.

R

Rooser

Okay, yeah, there's no point to attacking somebody for not understanding banned and restricted lists on this thread. The whole point of the thread was to see what we might be able to pull off without them. If our insane ideas inadvertantly justify the banned/restricted lists then so be it. Let us have our fun.

Well, if people are gonna get into totally unrestricted decks, then I've always liked this one:

20x Black Lotus
20x Timetwister
20x Ball Lightning

If we're keeping it to four then I think "Twisted" is sturdier than Channel Ball. It's kind of like that balance deck, but only red/blue, and thus, no balance. Here's the list:

Black Lotus x4
Mox Ruby x4
Mox Sapphire x4
Sol Ring x4
Black Vise x4
Time Walk x4
Timetwister x4
Lightning Bolt x4
Ancestral Recall x4
Force of Will x4
Volcanic Island x4
Island x16

A first-turn kill is not out of the ordinary with this, but admittedly it usally takes two or three, (Oh darn). If it looks like a piece of weird, consider that Timetwister+Time Walk, synergized with the mana speed, can mean you get an absurd amount of consecutive turns. Use Ancestral Recall on yourself until putting them up to 10 cards will get them killed by your black vise or vises. With ten cards in hand they're taking 6 damage per vise on the table, which is exacerbated, (sp?) by your lightning bolts. The kill cards are the bolts, the vises and the recall, all of which only cost 1. Force of Will stops their combos or protects your own. It's really fast. It may not be Channel-Ball fast, but it will win by turn 3 more often than Channel-Ball will, it just lacks that first-turn-kill allure.

If money were an object and I had to build a cutthroat deck within my budget, then I'd definitely go with a mono-black discard/land destruct.

Ah, but what of FUN decks. Well, despite being a cheesy-fast combo, that "Twisted" deck is actually pretty fun to play. But for funs, hmmmm. Perhaps some sort of Black-Red-Green Rukh Egg type deal, that was backed up by stompy, (Kird Ape and Erg Raiders specifically). Haunted Crossroads and Diamond Valley for sure, and perhaps some Khabal Ghoul action. I might drop the green, but I'd like it for the apes, the berserks, and perhaps even the Djinn.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If we were throwing the 4 of a card limit out the window, I'd try to make a Rat deck, as that was what they were made for...

T

train

Those plague rats were vicious when there were 36 of them and 4 terrors in the deck...

Now bring Coat of Arms into play... multiples even...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In one of the early Duelists when Zak Dolan was World Champ, he had an article where he listed several "test" decks to test your deck against. These decks weren't 4 of a card legal, but he said if you could beat them then your deck was doing pretty well. A Plague Rat deck was one of them and I could actually build it... :)

G

grayson

Hey guys,

I've made a black/blue deck with the following: (obviously I don't have 4 black lotus - - they're proxies. My multi-player group has been playing with this format for a couple of weeks (something different to do) and we use proxies in some instances.)
4 ancestral recall
4 hypnotic specter
4 duress
4 dark ritual
4 black lotus
4 recoil
2 Lobotomy (4 is too many, imho)
4 ravenous rats
4 man'o war
1 Sengir Vampire
4 nekrataal
1 sol ring
4 knight of Stromgald
the rest is land.

This deck isn't a "one-turn" kill but it is fun to play which is the point of our discussions, right? ;-)

I've stuck with the limit of 4 cards and all other rules. In the initial post I suggested only ignoring the banned/restricted lists and "all other rules still apply". I'd have to rethink this deck if we ignored the limit of 4. That would definitely make some amazing decks.

Thanks guys for your support and interest in this topic. Let's keep posting and making more decks.

Have fun - - play casual. After all, it's just a game.