What type of deck would you create......

G

grayson

Hello all,

Since most of us enjoy building decks and creating new deck ideas, (all of them may not be good but that is not the point) I'd like to ask a theoretical question and open it for general discussion. Just for the fun of it and in an attempt to increase the friendly conversations of the casual community I'd like to propose the following issue:

If there were no banned or restrictred list (all other rules still apply), what type of deck would would you create and play and why would you choose that particular deck? Also, please include decklists so others may join in and better understand the deck.

Thanks for participating, hopefully this will be a fun conversation for all.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The "problem" with using all cards is that a good majority of them are on there for a reason. Namely, speeding up your deck development by means other than laying one land per turn or massive card drawing.

That said, I like control/mana denial decks so I'd probably play either a souped up version of my Manabarbs deck or some version of The Deck.

W

WickedBoy6

That's easy...Burn...Lots of it...I'll post the deck sometime soon...

T

train

I have to go with Sneak attack, contamination - just view the Chipatog invitational II with Train...

W

WickedBoy6

This deck just seemed weird for me to build, but here's a deck using these new rules...it has an average-win-ratio of Turn 5.

4 Ball Lightning
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Chain Lightning
4 Jokulhaups
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rolling Thunder
4 Skizzik
4 Wheel of Fortune
4 Black Lotus
4 Mox Ruby
4 Gauntlet of Might
16 Mountain

B

bryson430

I'd go for black card denial.... opeing go land, lotus (X2?!), mox, mindtwist (remember, I'm playing 4) HAS to be the killer in almost any situ.

Or, for boredom, can't beat the old parrot deck:

Raaawk! Lotus, Channel, Fireball.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, now you're getting into first turn kills, which isn't very fun or casual to play against. If I was playing "cut-throat", I'd be packing Force of Wills/blue just to ensure that doesn't happen.

So keeping in the casual/fun sort of theme of using every card, I'd also keep a Dwarf deck and maybe a steal creature/copy theme with Clone, V. Doppleganger, Control Magic, Seasinger, etc.

W

WickedBoy6

Oh, I think SpiderMan wins. Come on, Clone decks are the ultimate in casual play. 4 Clones & 4 Dopples with a Serra on the table is about as destructive as one can get.

T

train

seasinger... man... we mention stuff like that and we date ourselves...

N

Nightstalkers

Hmmm... Interesting.

We would get back into Green/Red and build burn around Channel again:

4x Channel
4x Urza's Tower
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
5x Mountain
5x Forest
4x Blaze
4x Fireball

And some art critters for stopping power and otherwize.

OR...

We would put ourselves back into the game with a deck of Nightstalkers...

Brutal Nightstalker
Lurking Nightstalker
Abyssal Nightstalker
Prowling Nightstalker
Shimian Nightstalker

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Oh the joy...

B

bryson430

Originally posted by Spiderman
Well, now you're getting into first turn kills, which isn't very fun or casual to play against.
I did say it was boring....

I still like mono-black. It's fun to watch your opponent limp along following a first-turn 4 or 5 mindtwist. They try and try, bless 'em.

(Yes, I am evil...)

N

NorrYtt

The most destructive card in Magic is probably Balance. Balance consistently yields card advantage in the double digits for me.

Here's a deck I've just be playtesting on Apprentice. It's got more than a 50% of killing first turn (and it can kill any number of players as well, unlike Stroke decks), provided it draws one of the hand refillers or a Tutor to get them.

Spells (24)
4 Balance
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Time Walk
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Wheel of Fortune
4 Timetwister

Kill (4)
4 Lightning Bolt

Mana (32)
4 Hurkl's Recall
4 Mox Pearl
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Jet
4 Mot Ruby
4 Sol Ring
4 Black Lotus
4 Tolarian Academy

Total (60)

It might be faster to kill with Megrim, because just two castings of Wheel of Fortune would kill all your opponents, letting you have just one slot for a kill card, free up 3 slots for more card drawing.

grayson, you have proven to me you have no grasp of what the DCI Banned and Restricted lists are for. Such a reality would degenerate to an environment where those without thousands of dollars of cards would lose before playing a land. The above deck completely invalidates all Magic cards that were not printed in Alpha or Urza's Saga.

B

bryson430

Originally posted by NorrYtt
The most destructive card in Magic is probably Balance. Balance consistently yields card advantage in the double digits for me.

Spells (
4 Balance
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Time Walk
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Wheel of Fortune
4 Timetwister

Kill (4)
4 Lightning Bolt

Mana (32)
4 Hurkl's Recall
4 Mox Pearl
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Jet
4 Mot Ruby
4 Mox Emerald
4 Black Lotus
4 Tolarian Academy
Ummm. Doesn't this just deck yourself while dealing 12 points of damage? (4 Bolts, the only damage involved.) Or are you planning on using the Recalls on your opponent?

N

NorrYtt

My post wasn't finished yet.

Note the Timetwisters, which refills libraries and draws 7 cards.

I've stopped tuning this deck because it is a pointless endeavor. The best Magic deck possible, disregarding the 4 card limit but still adhering to 60 cards is something like

40 Ancestral Recall
20 Black Lotus

Somewhere, some guy has a Magic simulator that generates statistics for decks like this. This deck scored the highest, with 1st turn kill around 95% of the time.

Other decks he tried are a Channel-Lotus-Kaervek's Torch deck and a Lotus-Bolt-Wheel of Fortune deck, all scoring very high.

G

grayson

Originally posted by NorrYtt

grayson, you have proven to me you have no grasp of what the DCI Banned and Restricted lists are for. Such a reality would degenerate to an environment where those without thousands of dollars of cards would lose before playing a land. The above deck completely invalidates all Magic cards that were not printed in Alpha or Urza's Saga. [/B]
I didn't post on this board to be insulted. I may not be a professional, but I understand the power of the "broken" cards and the reasons for the banned and restricted lists. I thought this would be an interesting and fun topic for discussion among the "CASUAL" community not those who want to have first turn kills which doesn't seem very casual or fun to me.

However, thank you for your response and I agree with you that balance is one of the best cards.

W

WickedBoy6

I'm gonna try to build Spiderman's suggestion of a Clone deck, or maybe a Chains of Mephistopheles/Megrim deck. I've always wanted to use those two with one another.

Edited: Here's a mock-up version of a clone deck - inspired by SpiderMan - using these rules, and on Apprentice

2 Armageddon
2 Mirari
4 Clone
4 Serra Angel
4 Vesuvan Doppelganger
4 Volrath's Shapeshifter
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Counterspell
4 Disenchant
4 Time Walk
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tundra
6 Plains
10 Island

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with grayson that your last bit sounds a bit harsh, NorrYtt...

Glad to have inspired a deck! Just to keep analysis going, is Serra Angel the best one at this point? What about the one with the built-in Spirit Link (Warrior?)? It might cost more but it might be better...

T

train

Mind if I ask what last bit - I don't see anything poster here that seems harsh...:confused: