What Tokens do you Want Printed?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by TomB
For my Pony deck. I usually use those Fallen Empires tokens Spidey was talking about, but using the Camarid tokens just doesn't convey the right feeling, methinks...;)
Heh, Pony deck...

Relentless Pony! EFREET TOKENS!

N

Notepad

Pegasus...now there's one I haven't heard of being used in a loooog time! :D I used to have a Pegasus deck of my own, once. Used the buyback spell from Exodus (where you sac a land) and combined it with Land Tax. That was always fun! :D

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And I haven't bought any new cards for about 3 years now, so Type 2 tech is WAY beyond me, but yeah, occasionally I still play around the house with my kids and their friends using some of my old, still assembled decks. Most are now what would be considered T1 decks, due to having things like dual lands in them, and are pretty weak T1 decks at that, but they're still kinda fun to play.

My Pony deck, originally posted HERE, was modified several years ago into an 80 card multiplayer deck to be used when playing with some friends at a card shop that went out of business about 2 years ago. I kept it at 80 cards because I found no one wanted to play me with it in the "house" league in it's original composition.

Imagine that...:cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a token printed onto a slab of metal and of creature type: It.

Heck, I try to get people to give me a creature of that type whenever I put out a Replicator.

N

Notepad

It would be nice if they hadn't errata'd the effect waaay back in the time of Volrath's Laboratory, Nightstalkers, but they've issued a rules change to where it only makes actual creature types.

Still, it would be fun to play with a Riptide Replicator and make "Opponent" tokens. That way I could abuse a lot of cards that have a drawback based on opponents. So, "opponent gains a survivor token"? Well, looks like my token here gets those tokens, and in turn, so do I. Man, Varchild's War Riders is awesome now!!! :D ;)

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by SeFRo
It would be nice if they hadn't errata'd the effect waaay back in the time of Volrath's Laboratory, Nightstalkers, but they've issued a rules change to where it only makes actual creature types.

Still, it would be fun to play with a Riptide Replicator and make "Opponent" tokens. That way I could abuse a lot of cards that have a drawback based on opponents. So, "opponent gains a survivor token"? Well, looks like my token here gets those tokens, and in turn, so do I. Man, Varchild's War Riders is awesome now!!! :D ;)
I know man, but its for like... Unglued 2 or something.

Like have a card that makes an It... or better yet, a BFM token XD

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think that when they were allowing people to make tokens of creature types that weren't already on cards, they didn't allow anything that had an existing meaning in the game: no opponent, hand, life, or graveyard tokens. But this still allowed people to make platypus tokens and the like. For some reason, the DCI (or whoever got the ruling to be the way it is now) really hates for people to have any potential to be creative or anything like that...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably because a later card was made that caused rules headache problems.

OOo, Survivor tokens! I actually have a playset of Varchild's War-Riders and keep meaning to make a deck based on them... your tokens would be cool with that :)

N

Notepad

Ah, hell yes! I have four myself, used to put them in deck stock, then put them in the trade binder, but they ain't moving anywhere. Probably gonna use them once I get around to drawing these tokens.

Yeah, Volrath's Lab was errata'd pretty quickly to prevent abuse with such things as Varchild's War Riders. They didn't want people naming "anything" such as Opponent, Graveyard, Library, etc.

Though, it was nice if you just wanted to make a Spongebob token and fry it just for fun! Before I found out about errata to "things of choice must be within game parameters" I used to tap my Birds of Paradise for purple or orange mana, City of Bras for brown mana, etc. Man, that would've made Sunburst a helluvalotta fun!!! :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I know one guy that still taps his City of Brass for orange mana. If someone tells him it's not allowed, he tells them that WotC doesn't have the authority to define the word "color." Of course, he really does know that he's not supposed to, but in the cases where he does this, it might as well be red or white or black or whatever...

Now it could really matter if it were Sunburst or something...

Anyway, for some amount of time (not sure exactly) you were allowed to make "spongebob" tokens or the like. I remember hunting down a website that wasn't updated past that ruling, but it was almost a year ago and I don't even know if it might still exist. I don't see the harm in it, as long as you're not allowed name a creature type that would have another meaning in the game (like opponent or graveyard). Then again, maybe they were afraid people would make COK tokens... :rolleyes:

N

Nightstalkers

I seem to remember a guy going into a T1 tournament with a Merfolk Deck...

Only thing was, he redrew the images, and changed the whole deck to a "Penguin" deck. Instead of Lord of Atlantis, he had Lord of the Antarctic... etc., etc., etc....

So why not Penguin tokens if he was allowed to use that in T1?

And hey, wth is up with this anyways?! We're casual players, I say we stand up for our rights to have whatever bloody tokens (within legal limits, as in no "opponent" or "hand" rubbish) we darn well want!!!

Maybe I want a bloody Command token, or a DCI Pencil Pusher Token just for the fun of it. BRING ON THE DCI! I can take'em with the gun strapped to my back!

Erm... that doesn't sound right...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like the T1 tourney might have been unsanctioned... a "casual" T1 tourney, if you will.

Nominally, I don't care about the ruling since I rarely use cards that make a creature type, but if I did, I don't think it's a big deal to follow the current ruling. If it was agreed upon beforehand to do "non-legal" creature types, that's okay too.

N

Notepad

It is illegal under DCI rules to allow the guy to make his penguin tokens, as no penguins exist as game-legal creature types. Besides, it would be Bird, anyway, if a penguin had been printed.

Not a major infraction, but something that is against the rules. Allowing it to continue sets a precedent to players that they can argue for tapping purple mana out of their City of Brass, and make Sunburst decks really degenerate. :D Not like it matters, though, as casual tournaments are the best way to go, anyway. :D :D :D

T

train

Is there a creature of type COK?!...

I think the bird ones will "fly"...

;)

Maybe you oculd draw the tops of baby bird heads in a nest, and the bird in the middle just stands much taller than the others...

(Or use the previous drawing suggestion...)

N

Notepad

Holy crap, that's an evil idea! But then again, these are supposed to be creature tokens. Hard to justify a flying 1/1 token with artwork of a nest of baby birds. A little easier to justify a big hand as such, maybe as a giant hand that happens to be called "the bird."

Reminds me...I once made a dream card like this (with those blanks from the world champ decks), called "The Moon" and it had artwork of somebody mooning the moon. You tap and name two different colors, and a target opponent would select one of those colors for you to add to your mana pool, thus choosing what "the moon" was for the moment. :D Like a messed up City of Brass.

N

Notepad

Because of all the extra lines in the "body" I was going to say it actually looked like something totally different. Perfect for playing in COK. The fingernail on the head is the only thing that keeps it from looking like it actually is Mr. oinksworth...I mean, Pennysworth.

T

train

Well - it was a first attempt, and not bad for it...

The lines do make it look a bit heavy - but not too shabby...

any other gestures we should "draw"...

N

Notepad

Yeah, for a rough scetch it is pretty funny! :D :D :D

But it looks too...blue. I mean, er, SCUMBAG. Because he's Mr. Pennysworth. That is sooo SCUMBAG, you know?

Thanks for the laugh though. I still have to draw these things up. Still only a few scetches in my notebook.