What Tokens do you Want Printed?

N

Notepad

Star City has been doing a nice job of pumping out commonly-used tokens. Reading Mark Rosewater's latest article about Japanese token creatures inspiring those in Unglued, I go to thinking: Why doesn't the CPA launch a token line?

I'm gonna be drawing up some tokens. Nothing at all like the SCG tokens (my art skills are nowhere near that good, not in a hundred years!) but will look more like the better of my Fast Effect art. The thing I wonder is:

You can get pretty dragons, zombies and angels from SCG. You can get decent beasts, elephants and birds from the DCI. But what tokens do you wish were printed? What needs do your decks have that are unmet with token creatures?

Do you wish you had a Pentavite, a Wirefly, a Pest, a Camarid, a Serf, a Kelp Wall, a Hound, a Cobra, a Prism, a Hippo, a Maggot, a Deserter...? What stuff have you been looking for?

So far, I'm looking to make the Wirefly/Hornet/Wasp token and the Insect(Ant)/Pest token as two of my first ones.

To avoid interfering with WotC's copyright, they'll be unnamed and have no power/toughness displayed, much like the original Unglued tokens. This also helps to use tokens for different things. The Hornet can be a Wirefly or Wasp. The Cobra can also be a Poison Snake or Snake. etc.

In keeping with the awesome friendly atmosphere of CPA, I was thinking they could be a black & white sheet of nine assorted token critters in gif or jpg file, hopefully posted on the CPA for people to download, print, and cut out at their desire. No having to purchase anything. No cruel profit margin dominating the project.

What do y'all think?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That sounds cool...

Camarids and Starfish would be particularly entertaining.

"My Starfish regenerates and puts a 0/1 token into play."
"Whoa! Where'd you get that?"

Of course, my favorite would be Efreet tokens for Relentless Pony (Echo Chamber and Tempest Efreet for a sort of "concede or you'll be trading your cards for Tempest Efreet tokens" strategy) but I'm the only one who would use them for that purpose, so there's not much of a point there. I think a lot of casual players like the Camarids though...

N

Notepad

Spiderman - I didn't find any cards that make dwarf tokens. The two "choose a token" artifacts could be counted, but then again, every single creature type would be up for token making at that point. However, that's one call for it. If you actually have a deck that makes Dwarf tokens, I'll work on drawing up the token art.

Oversoul - Yeah, I remember the Camarid decks or yore. You're just being evil with Efreet tokens there! That's like having Soul Foundry count its potential tokens and you wanna see Flametongue Kavu or Platinum Angel tokens. (For the record: Hell no!). Camarids and combat-able Starfish seem like they'd be hella fun to draw. :D

N

Notepad

Do you have a deck that would actually make dwarf tokens? Just a note: I am terrible at drawing humanoids. Faces especially. Such critters will likely come slowly, perhaps in a Batch Two after the easier ones like Insects, Hornets and Camarids. However, dwarves don't have the same proportion requirements that normal humanoid drawings have, and I can just hide most of the face behind a big, fluffy set of facial hair. :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
*resists making a joke about COK tokens*

Too bad Bottle of Suleiman makes djinns instead of efreets. I could have had an excuse then...

N

Notepad

I also remember Djinn tokens being around a lot. Those were pretty fun days to see people actually using that card because it was the only decent flier a green mage could get, or a budget black or red mage, too. Awesome times! :D

Nobody up for calling out Caribou? Orbs? Gnomes? (actually thinking of making this single-card token...perhaps combining it with dwarves somehow). Butterflies? Tombspawn Zombie? Stangg-Twin? Wolves-of-the-Hunt? heh...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Stangg-Twin! I forgot all about that. Tombspawn Zombies could actually be good...

Caribou would just be silly, but again, possibly great fun...

Kelp Wall would have to be the most confusing. Your opponent could see it and be like "what card makes Kelp Walls?" I mean when was the last time someone used Wall of Kelp?

T

train

Actually - any deck running conspiracy and a token generator could also make dwarves...

I want bird tokens, as in "the bird" tokens...

One sI can play at any time a blue ccard, or island is played...

N

Notepad

train, thanks for the suggestion of a joke. When I was drawing up the concept of the wasp/hornet and the gnome/dwarf, I started to experiment with the idea of infusing humor into the tokens.

Maybe, for each one, there would be a serious drawing, and a joke drawing, to give two copies of each token available.

I like your idea for a bird token. Awesome stuff!

A question to Spidey--Would I be able to post a token sheet that included among it one token featuring artwork of a prominently displayed "the bird"? I doubt it, but if its okay, I'll run with the idea. If not...well then I'll find a way to censor it. ;)

Also, are there any commonly-available tokens (soldier, zombies, etc) that you either don't have and want access to (I know the zombie tokens can be expensive, as well as the sliver tokens) that you'd want to see me draw up?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Would I be able to post a token sheet that included among it one token featuring artwork of a prominently displayed "the bird"?
Umm, I hate to say it, but probably not. Sorry.

Not sure if the last question was directed at me or everyone in general, but I really don't have any tokens (except for the Fallen Empires sheet that came in the Duelist 3, 4 or 5) so any and all tokens are good for me :)

N

Notepad

That last question was in general, yeah. Sorry about the ambiguity inherent in my paragraph order. :-/

I was thinking how I'd like to have my own soldier tokens with better art (hate the art on the two I have), and have only one sliver token, and just need more tokens in generl. I run out of Saproling tokens fast, especially when I whip out my Rith and begin doubling them. Same goes with Slivers and my Brood Sliver deck.

So that got me to thinking: Sure, you can earn tokens from the DCI, and you can buy them from places like SCG...but that means you have to shell out money, or go to a tourney. Quite a hassal for somebody who's a casual enthusiast, has little time, or a bit of both (*cough* SPIDEY *cough* SEFRO *cough*).

That said, what type of tokens would y'all like to see in general? Not just the ones not printed like Survivors or Wood Walls, but things you'd like to have your own pile of, and just don't have the time/money to get? Wish you had a stack of Dragon tokens to abuse? Lemme know.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, I like all tokens. You can probably start with the more common ones like Soldiers, Saprolings, Goblins, etc.; stuff you'd get from "normal" token making cards (aside from Conspiracy or whatever you declare a token type). Except for dwarfs. Still want dwarfs.

O

orgg

'Beast' tokens, 'Rat' tokens, 'Saproling' tokens, 'Insect' tokens...

Also, for the 'Bird' token... a wing featuring three distinct plumages, one longer than the other... and the ascending wing being near the tail as to make a... fist like potrusion... could work, though it'd need to be fairly subtle.

It sounds like a good idea, and the Humor angle works well with your usual stuff (Though Team M94 is kicking quite a bit now, and no longer really is 'humor' as the Porkulid episode was...).

N

Notepad

This is gonna be fun drawing these things up. Challenge is keeping the scanner from crudding them up, but that won't be too hard in b&w.

Orgg's bird concept there just might work. I'll have to experiment with sketches and see what comes out best. Personally, I was leaning toward a censored "the bird" (literal), done in a style much like the movies do with "oh look, that tree branch happens to be blocking that nude guy's crotch!" or "wow, no matter how much these two people roll around during sex in this PG-13 movie, the guy's arm is always in the way of her boobs"

What in the world do you mean by Team M94 is "kicking"? Kicking butt? Or just kicking the bucket (Junkyard-related pun intended)?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
For my Pony deck. I usually use those Fallen Empires tokens Spidey was talking about, but using the Camarid tokens just doesn't convey the right feeling, methinks...;)