What is a card shop to do?

W

Wizard2000

Very nice post there new person. I am still considering opening up a gaming shop in the area, and more heavily considering it than I have in the past. I would most likely mix online sales with in house sales to keep my inventory moving along.

G

galtwish

That's the thing; online sales are perfect for mass distribution of 20 cases of the new set or random singles. You can sell Morphling, Rector, Port and about two dozen other cards out of a physical location, but the space to maintain an accessible archive of OOP cards is not profitable. A game store needs to be just that, a store where people congregate for gaming and buy things.
The snacks can really make a difference, especially in conjunction with drafts or deck clinics. I have seen three different stores close due to playspace problems, as they just stop drawing the business. And don't let the players bring in packs to draft with, they may hate you for it, but just explain to them that they have to pay for the space to play in. And give a discount on draft sets, because then people may buy extras to practice with their friends in addition to softening the pinch of not using their $2 packs from the huge dealer at the con or PT/GP they visited.
Wacky stuff does surprising well too, like "Draft my old overstock: FE/HL/WL/SH" stuff for $5 or Grandmaster Urza's Saga starters. You can pick up old boxes of stuff on eBay and the like for $30-$50, make a small profit, and hopefully sell some snacks. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but snacks are probably the highest profit item you'll sell other than Pokemon.
I'm sure you have plenty of good business ideas and what not, I just suggest things because I want Magic to thrive, not just survive.

Erik