What does 2007 got that...

Killer Joe

~ipod (we had "Walkman's" back in the day)
~Using "New Wave" music from the 80"s as soothing elevator music
~No more Cassette tapes! I used to buy cassette singles!
~The "internet" for personal use in the home (the government had it way back in the 70's and NO, Al Gore did NOT invent the internet :rolleyes: )
~Reality TV, although MTV did have The Real Life back then, I think. Remember *Puck* the annoying skater dude?
~The term M.I.L.F., I never heard that before until about 10 years ago. "Koo-Koo to you, Mrs. Robinson,..."

Okay, alittle off this topic but relevant: when I was kid we had Saturday Morning cartoons and only on saturday mornings. Oh sure, there was The Electric Company, Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood in the early to late afternoon but I looked forward all week to watch some of my favorite shows like Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry and Johnny Quest.

Wait, there were evening cartoon shows and they were The Jetsons and The Flintstones, but mostly the cartoons were on Saturday Mornings. We didn't watch TV on Sundays because programming sucked except for Steeler games.

I also used to watch regular TV shows in the early evenings to include Man from U.N.C.L.E, The Mod Squad, Mannix, The Streets of San Francisco, The FBI, Rat Patrol <---My Favorite of all time, Ironside. I also liked the funny variety shows like Rohan & Martin's "Laugh-In", The Flip Wilson Show, Carol Burnett <---I swear I would pee my pants from laughing so hard at Harvey Corman and Tim Conway.

Others I'd watch were: Gilligans Island (not re-runs), MacHale's Navy, Hogan's Heroes, Green Acres, The Dick Van Dyke Show....man, I watched ALOT of TV back then inbetween practicing my Clarinet :rolleyes:

One, two, ready play: "foo,....foo-foooooo,....fooooo"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
No more Cassette tapes! I used to buy cassette singles!
You still can. And they're cheap.

The "internet" for personal use in the home (the government had it way back in the 70's and NO, Al Gore did NOT invent the internet
I hear this a lot. But it depends on what "the internet" means. For example, if the internet is "the worldwide, publicly accessible network of interconnected computer networks that transmit data by packet switching using the standard Internet Protocol (IP)" it wasn't really around all those decades ago when only the government had it or when only the government and universities had it.

Even if what they had in 1987 could be considered "the internet," people didn't call it that...

D

DarthFerret

Yo go Spidey!...took my answer when I first started reading....

B

BigBlue

Who's Jennifer Gardner? I thought it was Garner...

Anyways, lot's of good things on this list...

But... For the Internet discussion... I emailed one of my best friends when I was in college back in 1986... The Internet was around then... Just not "public" per se... and there wasn't www or even Gopher yet.... Gopher came around 1990ish as I recall... then a couple years later we got this http thing you could browse using lynx... until I saw my first "image" tag which led me to Mosaic... (around 1993)... Hard to believe that was a mere 14 years ago... How long did it take from the first combustion engine powered "car" to get to the Corvette? like 60 years... Everything vehicular before the 50's was pretty boring...

I can't believe no one mentioned the DVD... we had Laserdiscs (if you had a lot of money)... but no DVD... and CD's were a baby back in '87...

Killer Joe

BigBlue said:
Who's Jennifer Gardner? I thought it was Garner...
Her name is secondary! As for Marvel movies in 2007 there aren't any out yet, right? Wait, does Ghost Rider count or did you mean REAL marvel movies?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
All Nicholas Cage projects don't count as movies!!!!!!! or good for that matter.
How to wreck a movie in less than 10 minutes?
Star Nicholas Cage in it.....

bigblue said:
Everything vehicular before the 50's was pretty boring
Suicide doors????? Running boards?????

1987 had Married With Children w/Christina Applegate ;)
2007 has Deal or no Deal w/a bald doofus..... :yawn:

B

BigBlue

Suicide doors.... ok, forgot them... and yeah, there were some pretty cars earlier... but the '57 chevy, Cadillacs of the era, and then the Corvette were to me the first nice looking cars... My point was it took over 50 years for cars to take off... The Internet in comparison has simply exploded onto the consumer scene...

D

DarthFerret

World of Warcraft, Diablo II, Laptops for under $1000.00, etc....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are you guys kidding? Spiderman is the best Marvel movie, hands-down! And not because I'm biased ;)

Waiting until summer for III....

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Are you guys kidding? Spiderman is the best Marvel movie, hands-down! And not because I'm biased ;)

Waiting until summer for III....
Sorry for your namesake, but the movies turned spiderman into a whining, crying dork. He should be the wisecracking, confused, unsure and arrogant character that was a staple in the comics for decades.... Even my daughter thinks the spiderman movies are sub-par.
The FF was better.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wha? He was the wisecracking, confused, unsure (not sure about "arrogant") character. Why do you think he gave up being Spiderman in II?

I actually haven't seen all of FF; I keep seeing bits and pieces when it comes on the various HBO channels. It looks okay though.