What do you have on the sidelines...

C

Cateran Emperor

...when you play a game of Magic? What sits next to your life die, what do you sit your life dice on? A favorite card perhaps? A stuffed mascot? Miniature figures? Nothing? A sheet of paper for life? Food? Etcetera?

Secondly, what do you like to use for different kinds of creature tokens (Saprolings, Zombies, Goblins, Squirrels, etc.)? How about counters (Fading, Kicker, etc.)?

I always have my foil Cateran Overlord under my life die, sealed in as many layers of plastic as I can. Even though he's always too expensive for my Mercenary decks, he's always there on the side whipping up the rest of them!

The best thing to use for Squirrel tokens: M&Ms. I think we all know why.

Zombies are hard, but I'm starting to see an increasing need for Zombie tokens (I don't like Unglued Zombies); I prefer to use either black counters or pawns (yep, the chess ones)

H

Hetemti

I have some life counters (1-30) I made with paper, index cards, paperclips, Publisher, and bordom.
Sometimes I use the G and B counters I got with my Beatdown box. (G&B just like the foils...yea!)
At home, I use the set of Vegas dice I got off eBay, (Imperial Palace, 179, 5ct., matched, dimple cancelation.)
As for mascots...I allways plop at least one Legacy Uncommon in my decks...

Red-Viashino Cutthroat
Green-Gang of Elk
White-Mother of Runes
Black-Bone Shredder
Blue-Cloud of Færies (Not uncommon...but uncommonly good!)
Artifact-Jhoria's Toolbox
Land-Treetop Village (Forests permitting...)

(P.S. I'll trade for more Mommas, Toolboxes, and Elks)

Finally, there is the Flipping Coin. A 1981 Austrailian 20 cent piece. I tried using a 1972 Philipine 1 piso picece, but the will of the masses won, 5 out of 5 casual Magic players prefer a Platypus and the Queen Mum over the Shield of the Republika Ng Pilipinas and Jose Rizal. (Sorry, Joey.)

Z

Zadok001

I have a sheet of paper to take notes on and keep life totals. And my bag. A plastic ziplock bag maybe two years old with holes in it that contains dice and several dozen nickels, my counters of choice.

C

Chaos Turtle

A pad of paper with a pen.

Some cute little 6-sided dice.

Some cool 20-sided dice.

A SoBe or some water.

Sometimes, a turtle mascot.

G

Gizmo

* A box of counters (various colors, sizes) I must have about 70. No need to have so many I guess.
* My deckbox, with SB in.
* I play on the Mirage playmat I blagged from Tim Hall when he ran the UK Arena system (I just stood there and whinged until he gave me a load of Arena prizes to go away).
* Official Magic lifetotal pad.
* Mushu, the magic dragon of firebreathing death, who was interviewed for the team wesbite:
http://members.tripod.co.uk/candiman/intmushu.htm

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

A bunch of kids trying to steal my seat and, occasionally, my cards.

A

Almindhra

Always next to me is a can of coke that me and Luke split...Yeah, we usually make 3 or 4 trips to the fridge for more later on too...Sometimes I use my life counter...It looks like this http://www.flyingtricycle.com/images/flyingtri/blackmanasymbol.gif ....

For tokens, usually flip over Magic cards on the sidelines or on the floor...Maybe rip a piece of paper for tokens for fading...Have used the little jewel-like-glass-thingys...

E

ErinPuff

Usually a bowl of pretzels for food.. they're not greasy, and they're yummy. Then I need some water because the pretzels I buy are always excessively salty.

I have my life counter thing that's just like Almindhra's only it's the blue one, and a bag of glass counters for (what else?) counters. I carry my Beatdown life counters with me for the other players because they always forget a method of counting life.

For multiplayer games that can get confusing, I have a sheet of plastic and a dry-erase marker to keep track of each player's life total (I also might use this in a duel with an untrustworthy opponent ;))

I usually have a quarter or something to flip if I need a method of flippage. We're all lazy scrubbish ones that don't usually use coinflippin' cards, but I carry a two-sided object anyway.

D

Duel

I rely on others to track my life total. Not that I cheat, I simply forget to change it. Even if I gain life, I'll forget to change it.

A

Apollo

I have my dice, my spare cards, and I used to have my lucky foil Manny Ramirez MLB Showdown card, until the bum ran off to Boston. I also used to have Tommy, the stuffed turtle from McDonalds, until he was viciously attacked by a disgruntled opponent with a dart and his stuffing was removed. At home, I have a cool dragon statue, but elsewhere, I am currently mascot-less.:( I need a miniauture phoenix, or gryphon, or something, that I can bring.

C

Chaos Turtle

I must have it!

Tell me how to get one!

Now!

I mean, please!

D

Duel

get a stuffed unicorn. If you lose, you can punt it. It's great catharsis.

E

ErinPuff

I found a little plastic Yoda figure in my closet, and he's my new mascot. :) "Win you will, hmmm? Kick his ass you will."

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I have trodupoo, the magic midget dance and sings songs while I play, everytime win, he does the macarena. Everytime I lose, he poops his pants.

Ransac, cpa trash man

S

superguy

I use 2 life counters from Beatdown, and mine are black and red(I don't know how Hetemi has green and black), I use about 15 counters, or beads, whatever you like to call them. My "lucky" mascots are 2 cards together back to back in 2 sleeves. One is a Chilling Apparition which I tortured (lighter, hair gel, water, etc.) It's shape is fine, but its front is badly crapped up. The bastard keeps regenerating! Anyway, the second card is a perfect condition Goblin Spy. That card is so damn clever, with the flavour text and all. Anyway, those are the things that I use.

H

Hetemti

I bought two boxes that day, one for me, and one for a friend. He got Green and Blue, so allied and enemy colors are availiable... I started a thread a while back about what color pairs people got to see if it was random, or if they ordered them.

Another mascot I forgot...My best decks have cards who's art was done by D. Alexader Gregory. I usually have one of D's artifacts in my decks.

H

Hetemti

Yes...Islands mean you are evil and must be destroyed! Down with Morphling and all it's allies!

Islands and evil...hmmm...It'd been a cooler storyline plot if Barrin found some amulet or mightstone or millstone or something, became as strong as Urza, and Big U had to team with Phyrexia to stop Barrin from killing him as revenge for the deaths of Rayne and Takara. Oh, and Rik...Gerrard gets beaten seven ways from Tuesday by Thangarth.

G

Gerode

Oh no! I've been playing all this time without a mascot to oversee my games!

[me] runs into the kitchen, comes back with something in his hand. [/me]

Shiny Aluminum Foil!!!

[me]'s head gerbil spins around in his hampster wheel, providing Gerode with a great idea. [/me]

Has anyone ever seen a Shiny D20?