What about red?

M

Mr_Pestilence

I've been trying to make Red work in Type II for over a year. Without Lightning Bolt, Anarchy, and Nevinyrral's Disk, Red is Dead.

D

dw51688

The quality of red is declining. Type 1 red is kick butt. You really can't make a deck work with the modern red cards. At least in my opinion.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

all i have to say is if you're going to play red then play it with black. seeing as though alot of people are going to only protect for red, then why not help it out with black. invasion has really pissed me off. i am a major mono player, but i played a masques block+in deck against an invasion deck. it was mono green. i ripped him up. he was using all the good cards that can **** up green, but i screwed him up with snags, and spore frogs. Red is my fav color, but now green is having some real benefits

[Edited by TomB on 10-19-00 at 01:22 AM]

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Believe it or not, Riva, I do not exist solely to police your profanity on these boards. You've already had a week-long suspension of posting priviledges in the past - are you seriously looking for more?

Don't do it again! :mad:

D

Dead

Ah, good, so i was justified in that article i wrote. i think a key problem with red is not that it's cards are bad, but that there are too many hosers for it- a T2 white deck with harsh judgement and crimson acolyte just shuts it down, with no enchantment removal.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

red has the ultimate chance!!!! it has the deadly ponza deck, the ability to wipe out your opponents lands before they have a chance to play any red harmful spells, the only color that really stood a chance against red land destruction/ direct damage was blue and it still does because of counters

don't count red out yet
"the light is merely an illusion for those too timid to embrace the darkness"

D

Duel

I actually think red is magnificent in this format. but not red sligh. That has been declining ever since mi/vi/lite cycled out. Red has a chance now at what I consider "The new red":
Control.

Now feel free to shout at me but Red holds a fantastic secondary color. Red/green and red/black will be two of the most common decks. Deadguy Red style decks are already out of date and impossible in constructed.

BTW, has anyone ever actually seen the decklist that paul sligh originally played? It's awful! That, my friends, is not the type of deck you think of when you think of sligh. Look at david price's decks. They are red burn/beatdown. Sligh was a metagame deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Technically speaking, the "Sligh" deck, the one originally played by Paul Sligh, WAS a control deck. It was not burn or beatdown. However, it also incorporated (or made popular) the term "mana-curve" which later red decks (such as Deadguy Red) used and eventually Sligh became known as fast and beatdown.

It was a metagame deck though, purely designed to beat the Necro decks of '96. Deal damage so the Necro player could fully use Necro, and have toughness worthy creatures to take on the Knights (and the Artillery to blow them away).

G

Gizmo

Red decks aren`t too scared of hosers. Chill isn`t too bad I`ve found, Crimson Acolyte doesn`t stop you hitting them on the noggin with your Hammers, and Warmth is poor against stuuf on the board. CoP/Circle is real threat though.

major problem is that smoething at about 5/5 or bigger is really hard to shift (can you say Blastoderm?) and that makes it hard for the current T2 metagame.

Currently looking at this:

4 Rogue Kavu
2 Skittish Kavu/Lava Runner
2 Orcish Artillery/Lava Runner
3 Flowstone Overseer
(11)

4 Seal Of Fire
3 Shock
2 Scorching Lava
3 Rhystic Lightning
2 Urza`s Rage
4 Hammer Of Bogardan
2 Mage`s Contest
2 Cave-In
(22)

4 Assault/Battery
(4)

1 Forest
2 Shivan Oasis
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Rishadan Port
12 Mountain
(23)

SB
4 Earthquake
2 Boil
3 Avatar Of Fury
3 Tranquility
3 Saproling Burst

If you like Lava Runner then you might want to use Pillage.
Bring back Orcish Settlers!

C

Cateran Emperor

[me]looks at post directly above[/me]
Um, the heck was that? :D

If you can Gizmo, I'd try and fit in 2 more Mages' Contests. You also might consider maindecking at least one Earthquake to supplement Cave-In. From what I've tested against, weenie decks can be a problem for Red, particularly if they manage to get out Mr. Blastoderm (the reason for the Contests and Quakes)

D

Darth Dunk

I totally agree. Red is not good enough at the moment. I love red - it has always been (and always will be) my favourite colour. Sadly, I am feeling more and more forced intoo having to add my most hated colour - white - to my red decks just so I can get rid of Chill, Douse, Justice, Sacred Ground, Conversion, etc.
White makes the play environment fair by getting rid of hosers. When the game becomes like that, red WILL win. Just watch.