What about red?

H

Hetemti

Red stands no chance.
White has Crimson Acolyte, CoP:Red and Absolute Law.
Blue has Counter, Chill, and Volcanic Eruption.

Red is screwed.

D

dw51688

Red is second on my list tied with green. They are both behind my beloved BLUE!

T

The Magic Jackal

Let me tell you guys a little story:

pre-tempest era- mono white was about the only color you could say dominated the mono-color deck type, but most decks were multi-colored
In the tempest era- sligh ruled, mono-colored decks dyed down
saga era- stompy ruled, mono-colored decks got the shaft
masques era- rebel ruled, sligh got the shaft
invasion era- too early to tell, but looks like stompy is getting the shaft, no good fast green creatures, not rancor

They seem to like change over in R&D. One deck dominates, then gets screwed. I will gaurantee that in the upcoming standalone white weenie will not be the all powerful deck that you will see in the upcoming type two season.

D

DÛke

...you've been seeing how bloody I've been?
...YOU know me too well:).
...I didn't even think you know me at all:).

G

Gizmo

Red is naturally the second best colour in Magic, currenlty the only cards it is scared of are Chill and CoP. Invasion finally gives it a good chance and reason to ally to Green for SB Tranqs. Red is going to get REAL big over the next few months.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Every color has its cycle...

And I think MJ's mono decks go back a bit further... Sligh was big during Ice Age, and Stompy really came about during MirViLite.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The reason why I remember that is because he developed it specifically as a foil against Necro, which of course was during Ice Age :)

N

nodnarb24

Red is my second favorite color (green being first). The only thing that has beaten my red deck several times is a red protection deck, every creature had protection from red and there were 4 CoPs. Blue is no problem because my burn always out numbers counters (36 burn cards in my deck).

T

The Magic Jackal

Red is naturally the second best colour in Magic, currenlty the only cards it is scared of are Chill and CoP.
is someone forgetting absolute law (or is it grace?), santimony, douse!!!!!! (I f*cking hate that card!)...

If we are talking about the next type two set, what about crimson acolyte? thermal glider (the main reason I won't be playing ponza), etc...

Spidey: I was referring to the decks that really dominated their format. Sligh was not as dominate w/ ice age as it was w/ tempest. Same w/ stompy. It was much more dominant in saga than mirage. Sure there were other decks (recsur,counter pheonix,bargain,replenish,etc.) but these were the main ones that seemed to always be present, whereas other decks came and went. I expect the same with rebel in the upcoming type two. Then it seems like red will have it's time in the sun again.

T

The Magic Jackal

Sorry spidey, I didn't mean to jump on you there. I just wanted to clafify myself.

D

Dune Echo

What the heck is up with red X spells? Blaze is a substandard X spell and uncommon. When I first started this game, I was bright enough individual to understand how Fireball worked. Oh, yeah, it was common too! But now, it's worse and uncommon and there's only one in the entire basic set unlike earlier versions had multiple X spells. AND the latest incarnation is worse than Volcanic Eruption and is rare. I can see why X spells aren't common due to limited, but come on!

And on a related note to red's selection of burn in general:
I'd just like to know when red's direct damage will be good again. There have been some very decent and balanced spells in the past. Chain Lightning is not broken and I would love to see it reprinted as an uncommon where in today's enviroment, it would be appropriate. Disentigrate would be a way better Blaze. Kindle is good and fun to play. They did bring back a great and balanced version of Ball Lightning with Skizzik. That's great! Thanks R&D, so much. But come on, I want my efficient burn besides Shock!

So why do we need to have worse and worse reprints of good, balanced cards? Red burn is not overwhelmingly fun to play against, but why does Red have to be castrated for over two years in row?

Finally, I'd like to point out that I don't have a lot of money to burn (no pun intended). I can't afford to pay $6.00 or more per Urza's Rage on eBay, which I feel is a great burn card, comparable in cost and effectiveness to the legendary Lightning Bolt, and will actually see use in a lot of environments.

So, please, give us some decent burn in common/uncommon slot. The new castrated Incinerate doesn't cut it. It's a worse Shock for 2 or a 2 damage Incinerate for 3. Come on! Would it have killed the environment to make it a Shock for 2 with the Incinerate ability built in? (Yes, it would have been a worse Incinerate, but...) And the kicker could have added more damage or the card could have been a regular Shock with the kicker adding the Incinerate ability?

So I ask this, give us Fireball back. It was better and captured the flavor of the game I got into in the beginning and start giving us consistanly good, but not overpowered (Urza's Rage, great card) burn.

T

Thrash Golem

red is the best. it will take advantage of the multi color decks by killing half their deck with a single spell

D

dw51688

But all burn is very beatable. I like red creatures with cool abilities. Now with kicker I think red is slightly better in a sense that they are a little over exaggerated but fun to use against friends.

..."(whisper from a girl a few feet away who was evesdropping) did you get anything he just said?"...