What about music guys

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, you have heard most of them, but don't know the names.
Spidey's polka obsession aside, I think it'll be fun to test this myself and it will give me an excuse to put off getting back to the Games Run board for a few minutes. Now, I am a couple years younger than most of the other regulars here, but I don't think it should matter too much either way. And I'll note that when I do listen to the radio myself, it's usually the local Classical station. Still, I suspect that Mooseman is right and that I'd recognize most of these from somewhere even if I don't remember the song titles...

Ball & Chain- Social Distortion
Don't strongly recognize it. Had to listen to over half of it before I remembered it. I believe that I heard it in the movie Jarhead.

Wonderwall- Oasis
I know this one. No need to look it up. Everyone on the planet has heard this song.

Laid- James;
Didn't know it from the title or the artist, but instantly recognized it when the first notes of the song started playing.

What I Got- Sublime
Recognized artist name but couldn't place the title as being a song I was confident I knew of. Recognized it instantly. Huge hit in the late 90's.

Zombie- Cranberries
I know this one. No need to look it up. I haven't been living under a rock for the past 25 years, after all. :p

Dancing with Myself- Billy Idol
Again, no need to look this one up. Hugely popular song. This one is even older than I am. Everyone has heard it. Spiderman has heard it. :p

Basketcase - Greenday
So I did have to look this one up because I forgot which Green Day song it was, but of course recognized it instantly as soon as I heard the first notes. Definitely a huge hit in the 90's.

All The Small Things - Blink 182
Already knew this one. No need to look it up. It doesn't strike me as being quite as overplayed as something like "Dancing With Myself" or "Zombie" but it's very, very popular.

Ruby Soho - Rancid
I do not recognize this one. Music video made it painfully obvious that this is some 90's punk rock song and actually they sound familiar, but not from this song. I suspect that I did hear another Rancid song at some point, but I don't think it was this one.

I Wanna Be Sedated - Ramones
Already knew this one. Possibly the most iconic song on the list, I'd guess.

Hash Pipe - Weezer
Didn't recognize the song from the title, but recognized it in under ten seconds from listening to it. I had friends who loved Weezer when I was younger and I did try listening to their songs, but they never really resonated with me.

Last edited:

Ferret

Staff member
Yeah, I'm pretty aware of about 90% of the tunes listed above, but aside from hearing them at clubs in my youth, I didn't really go out of my way to listen to them back then... Now, that I'm older and exposed to today's crap for music, I actually listen to those older songs with fondness... go figure.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Fuel - Shimmer
Everclear - Santa Monica
Garbage - I think I'm Paranoid
The Offspring - Self Esteem
The Hives - Tick Tick Boom
New Radicals - You get what you give
Ramones - Howling at the Moon
Smashmouth - walking on the Sun

I just added these to my playlist for possible band songs.
What other stuff from the 80's/90's do you guys like?

Ferret

Staff member
Let's see. I've been listening to a lot of Green Day lately, Blondie, Duran Duran, The Cars (RIP Rick Ocasek), and They Might Be Giants while playing Arena - but, my go-to music for playing Magic is The Birthday Massacre...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Let's see. I've been listening to a lot of Green Day lately, Blondie, Duran Duran, The Cars (RIP Rick Ocasek), and They Might Be Giants while playing Arena - but, my go-to music for playing Magic is The Birthday Massacre...
By Looking Glass?
Already do She, Blvd of Broken Dreams, some Cars
Hmmm they might be Giants... interesting but we are just 2 guitars, vocalist, drummer and me the lowly bassist.

Ferret

Staff member
Nice choices! I could see how TMBG might be a problem - their newer stuff might need more players, and their older stuff requires an accordion...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The Cars are my favorite band! And I love TMBG, although I only listened up to Flood... have to get/listen to their stuff after that.

I'm pretty much top 40, especially 80s, and 90s eurodance. But really, anything with a "certain" beat that I know when I hear it :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So, the singer in a band I was in in 1992 finally got digital copies of an EP we did and put it out on Spotify.
If you want to listen to some original stuff search for:
Keith Sparbanie and the Soft Parade
Album Name is : Poppycock and Balderdash

Shoe

I have like 2000 songs in my spotify, ranging from metal, ska, brass bands....I love any music performed not by a computer and without excessive auto tune

I enjoy classical music, but I went to Woodstock 1969 before I went Viet Nam where all we listen to was County Western. Music reminds of special times. Inspired by the artist who wrote those lyrics that bring back memories each time I hear them.